Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Hilo_Kawika

Home made duplicator overview

I don't claim that anything I show in this thread is particularly original but there may be some things in the pictures that will give newbies something to think about.

I made a duplicator using a 1940's Sears wood lathe and a Ryobi laminate trimmer. Here's an overview shot of my setup.

Other than the lathe, there are three main parts to the setup: the templates, the vacuum system and the router.
Hilo_Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Hilo_Kawika

Router section

The Ryobi laminate trimmer is held onto a little "sled" with stainless hose clamp. There is a bolt screwed into the bottom front of the sled that is the same diameter and end shape as the bullet nosed router bit. The end of the bolt and the tip of the router bit must be horizontally and vertically aligned to one another for consistent results.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Nice looking set up, well designed. I think my lathe is older, but not as old as Numbskulls.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Hilo_Kawika

Vacuum system

A Shop Vac is attached to the back of the support board which in turn holds a metal sheet. There is ~1 inch clearance between the bottom of the sheet and the template floor which allows the chips to run into the metal enclosure and then into the vacuum.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Hilo_Kawika

Template system

A wooden plate that is T-shaped in cross section drops into the bed space between the lathe runners and is held in place horizontally by the right hand base of the end-piece on the lathe.

The templates are made of composite flooring material left over from a previous honey-do. They're held in place with two screws that go into inserts in the wooden plate. Changing template shape is easy with a file or sander.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Hilo_Kawika

Ready 2 Go

A towel on the right provides additional blockage of openings for vacuum efficiency and a hinged polycarbonate shield safety during the turning process.

The router must be held firmly during the turning process and small bites taken. All in all a fairly simple setup and made from materials on hand.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Woodbuster

Nice setup Dave!

Lets see some pics of some curly Koa on that!!!
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote