Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
WHITETAIL111

Question Brand new to the site.

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to this site and been surfin' around awhile looking at the nice work you guys do. Are there any threads that would take a newbie through the steps needed to get involved in a hobby like this? I was at the Rhode Island show and saw the NJ Tackle booth and it was something that has always intrigued me. I've always been somewhat an artist tying flies for years when I was younger and this plug building just looks like an awesome hobby(addicting I'm sure!) I have various shop tools for general woodworking, but would need a lathe I'd imagine to make things easier. I guess what I'm looking for is something that takes me through the complete process from choosing wood to---->turning---->weighting the plugs---->painting and finishing(types of paint/airbrushing). I'm finding pieces here and there and was wondering if there is such a post(s). I know my order is a tall one. Perhaps there is a book you guys can suggest if no post exists? Just looking for your advice guys. Thank you and great work!!! I can only hope to do that one day? Bob
WHITETAIL111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Welcome to S-B Whitetail/Bob! I recommend doing some searches here in the forum to start you off.....feel free to ask questions....many of them have been asked and addressed a few times (I should know....I asked them )so I know there is a wealth of information contained in the forum! For any tools you may need....keep an eye on the classified forum and any plug building components several site sponsors sell anything and everything you might need to make sure you cruise their websites for your needs! Good luck and enjoy!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Woodbuster

Welcome to S-B!!
Use the search feature to look for specific topics instead of trying to find everything in one or two posts. The real jewels are found in the posts that cover just 1 aspect of the many involved.

My .02
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Raven

HIYA Wwhitetail111

Welcome aboard man....

this isn't just a fishing site...

it's a fast growing community... 4000+ members

FEEL ....the S-B power....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Whitetail - welcome to S-B - This Jigman thread might give you a little warm & fuzzy on getting started

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Welcome to the site,,,,, There is a TON of useful information and knowledge here,,,,,

The best part is that it is FREE....

oh yes,,,, Plug building,,,,,, is Extremely addicting...... you have been warned......
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Whitetail - welcome to S-B - This Jigman thread might give you a little warm & fuzzy on getting started

'Spose the link would have helped http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=20279

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Goose

He said hobby....
killin white tails is another nice hobby....welcome
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

Send a message via AIM to striperondafly
Thumbs up Welcome!

Welcome white tail. I am a newbie builder - picked up a lathe, bandsaw, and drill press last month along with the rest of the necessary stuff.

There are some great guys to learn from here. Off to search for tips.

Brian

Ride the spiral to the end...............
striperondafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site

jump right in and get started, ya can't go wrong, all you need for info is right on these pages.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Welcome jump right in, maybe theres a builder in your area that you can hook up with a learn a few things. Pretty much anything you can come across in building you should be able to use the search feature for. If you search and cant find it, ask away

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Pick a plug ,,, any plug ,,,, start there,,build it,,swim it,,, tweak it,, finally,, hopefully ,, perfect it .. I suggest a popper ,,,or danny ,,or a needle.. Don't become over whelmed having to know everything there is about everything right away ,,, Welcome to the madness ... there's still time to run ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
teaser
Wave Jumper

NOOOOOOO!!!!
Run far away, as fast as you can!!
This is worst than drugs, once you're hooked ... you're hooked for life!
Just kidding, GREAT guys and gals here. welcome to the site, sit back, read, laugh, and overall just have a good time.

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
WHITETAIL111

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did take a look at Jigmans Plug building article. Very good advice there. I can see this is probably a trial and error thing. Where are you guys getting your wood from? This might be a stupid question, but can I get it from say a Home Depot or does it have to be special ordered somewhere else?? What size wood blank should I start with for making a Danny?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

Whitetail - like I said I just started too, and just went through this.

It is very much trial and error. I was lucky to have Baystalker show me. He has only been turning a little over a year but he is one of those guys who does his homework and is a quick learner. To say he helped the learning curve is an understatement.

You can read this and that, but when you see it done it's much easier to understand (at least for me).

You shouldn't need to special order wood unless you live in the boon docks. Find a local lumber yard. See if they can cut 2"x2"x2 whatever length you need.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
WHITETAIL111

I hear a lot of talk about Maple? Is that what most guys use? I mean....you can't use pine right? Doesn't make sense to me? Too soft right?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #17
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

not sure if there are "rules" as far as wood and lure type - sure some woods will be better than others

You can most definitely use pine

maple most use for darters, pencils

pine and cedar for swimmmers, poppers

Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #18
Raven

Question

your looking for around 2 ounces in weight....so if you use a softwood like pine you'll probably add more weight than a hard wood like maple would need....

Don't forget to do a search at S-B on Tagger's "hydro orientation"
too....

So do you have your Lathe yet?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
WHITETAIL111

No I do not have a lathe yet? Any suggestions guys? I'm gathering info on what I'll need so any/all info you guys can suggest is appreciated. I have:
Benchtop drill press, Benchtop belt sander, 10" mitre saw, Benchtop Scrollsaw.
I don't own a bandsaw nor a lathe yet, but have read a few posts on the lathes. Do I need a bandsaw or can I get away with the scroll saw? Man there is so much to know? Obviously the lathe is #1.
I figured if I got a lathe I could get some cheap wood and practice with that. Can you use the large size dowels you purchase at Home Depot.....broom handles...etc..to practice with?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 AM   #20
Raven

Arrow

one of our sponsers

http://www.njtackle.com/

lure buildings supplies ...when you have no lathe (yet)

i like tool handles but prefer shovels or hoes to broom
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

The type of wood you would want to use depends on the lure you are making,,,,, For Top water stuff you can use Alaskan yellow cedar, basswood etc... I think some guys get the balusters and cut those up. for needles you can use maple or Birch.... Do some searches ,,, these questions come up a lot,,,

I just picked up a second lathe from www.woodcraft.com you can get birch dowels from them too but look for specials.... I created a little account then put stuff in my wish list ,,, then imagine this a few weeks later they send me some emails with those Items on special and if I click on any link in the email I get stuff with free shipping,,,, so even though the lathe was not a variable speed which is fine I got it for 179.99 new ....not tax,,, no shipping,,,,

The band saw,,,, you can get one for $99 at lowes or Homies,,, it will be a little one with 3 3/4 (I think) cutting area but that will be ok for cutting lips slots or ripping blanks,,,...Just make sure you set it up straight...

Lips slots can even be done with a small hand trim saw.... That is not to hard either.. Who knows,,, never did much with a scroll saw so not sure how that would work,,,, I guess with the right jig anything is possible,,,,

Here are two quick pages,,,, even look in the how to section,,, some talented guys took a lot of time to make posts to help others,,,,

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ighlight=birch

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ighlight=birch
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote