Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
gldnbear93

Gold foil leaf in progress

Keep in mind these are the first foiled plugs I have ever done.

Two of these have gold flake and the third has a gold/copper/red varegated leaf on it. I also have some varigated flake that I am going to try. The flaked ones have scale netting applied under the flake-tough to see in the picture.
Each of these has a coat of epoxy thinned about 50/50 with acetone (about the consistency of whole milk-maybe a little thincker but not much). This brushes on very easily and the working time w/ the acetone is MUCH longer the devcon 2T alone. Also I can get a thinner coat with it thinned. Mixes up very easily. (by the way I did this with several other plugs over the base layer of createx-no ill effects to the paint). It seems to cure pretty hard. With the epoxy coat I can scuff and then paint over the foil for highlights. If I screw it up, I can wipe it off and start over again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4496 (Medium).JPG
Views:	309
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	25421   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4497 (Medium).JPG
Views:	312
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	25422  

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
gldnbear93

one more pic

the other scaled one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4498 (Medium).JPG
Views:	293
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	25423  

Go Bears!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
smitty919

cant wait to see it all done.
smitty919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
gone fishin

What base did you use for the gold leaf? Did you leave the netting in place & leaf over it? Nice job with a difficult medium.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
gldnbear93

sealed w/ valoil/mineral spirits
primer is an auto sandable primer from pep boys -the varigated and one of the scaled has black primer the other scaled has grey. I primed before i decided to foil these, otherwise I would not have primed. I used 3M spray adhesive to apply the netting. let it set for about 10 minutes.
The leaf and size (basically another spray adhesive) are the Mona Lisa brand. I got them at Michaels crafts. Sprayed the size, let it tack up for a couple of minutes and dumped the flake on. Then lightly pressed with a foam brush. Messy as he**. The leaf I did the same thing but just laid it over the tacky plug, then pressed with the foam brush. This leaf is VERY VERY thin and delicate, tough to work with and I don't have steady hands for it. Should get better and Hopefully a little easier the more I do it.

Go Bears!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Cool, bring some to the fest
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
that is really nice. i cant wait till its epoxied and all finished. make sure to show those pics too? btw..... does the gold leaf increase its market value

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
LaPala

You might want to try something soft to apply/spread the leaves. One handy tool is the blusher brush from wife/gf.

Regards,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3517&dateline=1174078  960
LaPala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
Diggin Jiggin

Those look great! I tried that stuff last year on a scaled needle, and had a really hard time with it. When I tried to press it into the netting to see the pattern,I ended up tearing and pulling some off, then when I tried to fix the holes it got worse and it ended up in the refinish pile...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote