Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Super Ultimate BigFish/Dunkin Donut/Truck Grumpage!

So.....I go to the Dunkin Donuts near my house today for a coffee....the Dunkies is in a Tedeschi's store. Anyway, the parking lot there is like running a gauntlet when you drive through it as people back out without looking and drive like idiots......always an accident there! Anyway....because of this I park on the side of the building away from the madness......SO THAT NOBODY HITS MY TRUCK! I go in for a coffee and 5 minutes later I come out and the first thing I see is my tail light laying in pieces on the ground, my bumper all twisted and bent, and a moderate (could have been worse) dent on the corner below the tail lite and the red scuff of another vehicles paint on the bumper/quarter!!!! Of course I go icky-pallucky ballistic in the parking lot as there is nobody standing there and all I can think is it was a hit and run and I want to kill someone!!!! A guy says to me....(as I am screaming a few choice adjectives at nobody in particular) that the driver of the other car is in it right behind me and she is upset!!!! (She is upset?) I go over to find out what the frigg is up as she has raked the side of her Jeep along the corner of my truck!!! There is not another vehicle within 20 feet and she hits ME!!!! Turns out it is the 17 year old girl that works in the Dunkies!!! She was getting off shift and was backing out (she was parked 20 feet behind me) and she must have been looking over her shoulder instead of her drivers rear view mirror and she side swiped her Jeep with my truck!!! She is balling very upset that she hit me.....its her first accident......she of course thinks its the end of the world and then the 300 pound 6' 5" gorilla comes out of the store growling!!! So of course I feel bad and I tell her to just calm down....that its ok and everything can be fixed.....no problem, we have insurance so we are all good.......long story short.....she has no car insurance......her Dad is on the phone and he is all..."Oh can you not mention that she was driving because she is not supposed to be driving that car" and blah, blah, blah!!! He says he has a place that can fix my truck and blah, blah blah!! I say NOPE! Sorry Amigo....dealership is gonna fix my truck and we are going to file the accident reports! I certainly am not gonna get boned trying to help this guy get his ass out of a sling with his insurance company!!! Evidently he is letting his daughter drive his car and she has no insurance???? Not too smart!! His rates should go right through the roof!!! Just my luck though......this is the second time my truck has been backed into in a spot I park so it "DOES NOT GET HIT!!!!!"

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Adam_777

That sucks ! Glad your sticking the guy who knows his teen daughter drives a car and is uninsured.The guy must be insane with the traffic today and amount of arseholes on the road it's not smart to let your child drive around uninsured under any circumstance.I like the part where your done screaming and tell her to calm down.Could be payback for small tips ?
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I actually tip .70 cents on a $2.30 cent cup o' Joe! The scary thing is......she was only backing up in a parking lot with zero traffic!!! She is a sweet kid though....I truly felt bad....she was very upset.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
BxBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
He says he has a place that can fix my truck ....dealership is gonna fix my truck and we are going to file the accident reports!
Yep that's the tip-off to the ripoff Glad to see you're smarter than the average bear, and didn't go for that crap (even though the girl turned on the water works).
BxBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Slingah

I would have loved to see the look on her face when you came out of that store .....
that guy gets what he deserves...letting a teenager drive with no insurance ...idiot...
you got some dumb luck
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
BxBomber

MMMM Donuts
Old 06-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

They are my Kryptonite BX!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

At least she stayed there. With no insurance I'm sure her father contemplated telling her to screw. Never enter into an agreement to have "my buddy" fix the damage.

Was she cute?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Backbeach Jake

The Guy tried to cut corners on his insurance with his OWN CHILD! You owed him nothing. You payed his dues for him. He loses.
WHen my kids were new drivers my insurance tab was 450 a month 10 years ago. For basic. I fixed their cars myself anf the insurance paid to fix who they "met". It only happened once. I repaired and the boy helped. The boy really didn't like working with good 'ol Dad. "I said 13 mm, AJ, it's stamped right on the friggin' wrench!"

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
BxBomber

Yeah Great Work Dad. What the hell kind of values is raising her with? You screw up and cover it up? It's also good to know that the guy stepped up and told you about the girl. There are some decent folk left!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
spence

A bit ago down in Knoxville, TN I was pulling out of my spot at the Hilton hotel parking garage downtown when I'm hit by a 19 year old girl driving an unregistered car with no insurance and no drivers license.

She promised she had her license number memorized though

Thank god I was in rental and the damage wasn't that bad. I filled out the accident report with her license number and her parents phone number

Had it been my own car I would have had the police there immediately.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
saltfly

If you still had the jeep she would have missedDon't let DAD DOPE anywhere near that truck.My sister got hit TWICE in that lot in 2 days.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
freebie

I know that parking lot, been hit there once myself, nevermind the one at pizza shop next to it, some real crazies in that end of town, I know becuase I grew up there and I'm one of them, sorry to hear about your truck Larry
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
gone fishin

Larry ya gotta start brewing your own! DD and you are like a fuse and blackpowder. An accident like that will cause more grief and time lost than most anticipate. You did exactly the right thing.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Uncle Matt

I can see Bigfish at D&D now -

"I'd like a large regular - HOLD THE SPIT!"

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #16
blue oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Matt View Post
I can see Bigfish at D&D now -

"I'd like a large regular - HOLD THE SPIT!"
sorry to hear about your truck larry , you are a better man than me i would have called the cops .
blue oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
Backbeach Jake

The sad thing is, the poor kid could probably lose her license as an uninsured driver, because Daddy was playing games.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #18
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
The boy really didn't like working with good 'ol Dad. "I said 13 mm, AJ, it's stamped right on the friggin' wrench!"
That's funny stuff........

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
Raven

Cool sorry to hear about her

your truck... I mean

just so - you'll know.....

sometimes the mind plays tricks on you

what you see is actually upside down and then is
reversed back to the brain...

she may have seen your truck.... but somehow the...

"location" was not where she marked it (mentally) to be....
when driving...

----
from my view.....
i think the way we teach driver's education is completely wrong....

all student drivers should have to enter a demolition derby

all student drivers should be able to leaver rubber and screech to a stop leaving rubber to .... pass the test...

they should have to go through a course avoiding all obstacles while backing up for miles... too

they should basically be taught defensive driving and be more aggressive in their abilities
and not all this meek and trembling

...i'm afraid to drive crap... until they truly KNOW how to drive.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
FishermanTim

I had worked for an executive driving service back in '90 and it was mandatory for ALL the drivers to take a defensice driver course. To this day, I have reacted or did something based on that course that has saved me from being involved with someone else's lapse in judgement.
One of my many gripes with drivers today is that they don't know their vehicles. They buy a car, truck or SUV but don't know how to drive the vehicle safely. They tend to get a vehicle that's too big for them. How many of us veteran drivers know whether or not our vehicle will fit into a parking space just by looking at it? Or we know that we have enough room to pass another vehicle or stationary object without having to stop or slow down? (I'm not talking recklessness or cockiness, but confidence in our abilities.)
Second would be that the majority of new drivers (regardless of nationality) are taking drivers ed classes that ONLY seem to prepare them for the test and not real driving experiences. (I compare it to the MCAS test issues.)
I think we've all experienced those fun drivers that don't have a clue what there doing or where they're going.
There were just a couple of my driving grumpages.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #21
Clogston29
xxx

you need to learn to appreciate starbucks

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
Redsoxticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
She was getting off shift and was backing out (she was parked 20 feet behind me) and she must have been looking over her shoulder instead of her drivers rear view mirror :
I believe your suppose to look over your right shoulder at all times when backing up and not solely rely on the aid of the rear view mirror.

DD acrynum(sp?) for demolition derby.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
Raven

Talking

good idea RST

bigfish can get an old wreck of a truck.... all rusty with lots of dent's, bullet holes ....crumpled fenders.... chipped paint

JUST FOR -> driving to dunkin donuts ahh ha ha ha
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
good idea RST

bigfish can get an old wreck of a truck.... all rusty with lots of dent's, bullet holes ....crumpled fenders.... chipped paint

JUST FOR -> driving to dunkin donuts ahh ha ha ha
Maybe just cover your vehicle with old tire fenders like on the old tugboats. Or maybe get a sensor alarm that's gauged for anything within 5 feet that trips an alarm that blares out "LOOK OUT!"
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #25
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Maybe just cover your vehicle with old tire fenders like on the old tugboats. Or maybe get a sensor alarm that's gauged for anything within 5 feet that trips an alarm that blares out "LOOK OUT!"

it should say WARNING !

keep away from the big-fish vehicle....!!!

that's hilarious...
Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
I believe your suppose to look over your right shoulder at all times when backing up and not solely rely on the aid of the rear view mirror.

DD acrynum(sp?) for demolition derby.
When you are backing up and the only vehicle near you is on the left...you can't see it over your shoulder...at least you can't judge the clearance on the side of the vehicle without using the mirror was my point!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #27
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Larry is that youuuuuuuuuuu

http://www.kirotv.com/video/17238040/index.html
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #28
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
I gotta find me one of those places...coffee and a show

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Nope! I drive thru buck naked! What the hell is wrong with that guy wearing womens underwear????

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #30
Raven

send that you-tube video link