Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Cops want extra pay for using computers!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...26/detail.html

Now anyone here who is a cop has my respect for doing the job that you do. BUT THIS IS NUTS and a load of BS.

GIVE THEM CRAYONS AND PENCILS. They're suing the town because they are required to file reports on a computer.

This mean I can raise the price of lures to $100 each now cuz I use computers every day?

Survey on ch5 site should they get paid for using computers...

Yes 70 17%
No 347 82%
Not sure 4 1%
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I'll be rich.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Frank you at work right now??? I am not paying for this!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

someone call the I team
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Frank you at work right now??? I am not paying for this!!
It was lunchtime dood..........but to answer your question, yes!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Maybe, I could get a consulting gig teaching them how to use the computers, at 500/per hour
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Maybe, I could get a consulting gig teaching them how to use the computers, at 500/per hour
And to wrap it up in a tight little bow, starting really soon, $300 of your $500 will go to an elementary school condom distribution program for underpriviledged children studying english as a second language. Good times my friends... good times.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Peabody Police Department wants to get paid time and a quarter for working on 9/11....Peabody????

The police in NYC don't get extra pay for working 9/11.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mone...71/detail.html

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
gone fishin

I find this effort to get extra pay offensive. The police now get extra pay for attending " law classes" at a MA university and now they want us to pay them more because they use a computer. Where the hell is the logic? The computer is just as important a tool as their cruiser

Maybe they are trying to make up lost dollars earned drinking coffee and gabbing with the construction workers doing details.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

But your all missing ONE thing.

They need SOME way to PAY for the DOUGHNUTS
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Raven

Only if they can help stop a cyber war instead of using just guns or swat teams against terrorism.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Saltheart

As the empire crumbles from within do to greed....................

just what are the basic skills covered by their salary and what is considered special skills that require bonus pay? Lets see. Sit in the cruiser eating donuts....basic skill covered by salary.... starting the cruiser...special bonus pay required for being electrical experts flipping a key coded switch. Driving it....special bonus pay for navigation skills. Writing tickets with a pencil...special hardship bonus for using outdated technology. Writing tickets with a pen....special bonus pay for using advanced technology writing instruments.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Hooper
Southsider

Figured I'd weigh in on this one since it is personal to me and my occupation.

I am going on record right here, getting extra pay for using a computer to write a report is one of the reason public employees have become so hated by those who are in the private sector. It's greedy and just plain wrong.

And Peabody PD? They should be embarrassed and ashamed for trying to cash in on one of the saddest days in American history. I am glad I don't work there, end of story.

As a member of my union, I am many times disgusted by the attitude that some of my coworkers, both in-house and abroad, display when it comes to benefits, etc. I realize in no uncertain terms, not only does the general public not feel we earn our pay, they openly detest their very being. I have to say, lately, it you read the papers, watch TV, or listen to the radio, if you work in the public sector, you're automatically a moron, lazy, a hack, over-paid and gernally a do nothing. But, if you work for a private business, you're a working class hero, regardless of what you might do or not do in a typical day.
As a cop, if I do nothing, people complain. If I stop a dozen cars a day and make arrests, they complain and say why don't you catch real criminals, if you follow the law and arrests, it's why don't you catch real criminals.

And secondly, guys, it's 2008! We don't eat donuts much anymore, it's all about the BAGELS! Sheeeez, if you're going to slam my brothers at least be accurate about it! Mine is whole grain with peanut butter. Man, does peanut butter make a mess of a blue shirt when it drips off the bagel...

Last edited by Hooper; 10-30-2008 at 11:08 AM..
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Hooper
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Raven

not everyone

feels that way Hooper...

I looked up Holiday's definition after i googled peabody's police department... and found out they were getting 9/11 off with Pay.... that's ridiculous
it should never be a holiday for any American ->ever.

I happen to like Police ...as much as i respect the military...our local men in uniform is the average citizens first line of defense long before armed
service men descend out of choppers onto your front lawn.

holidays generally denote a "celebration" or commemoration...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Hooper
Southsider

Awwww, thanks you guys! S-B is my happy place!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Everything w/chive cream cheese and a french vanilla with a cinamon spritz

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Slingah

cops now eating bagels?? what the hell is this country coming to
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
I find this effort to get extra pay offensive. The police now get extra pay for attending " law classes" at a MA university and now they want us to pay them more because they use a computer. Where the hell is the logic? The computer is just as important a tool as their cruiser

Maybe they are trying to make up lost dollars earned drinking coffee and gabbing with the construction workers doing details.
Persons employed in the private sector get paid more based on thier attaining higher education why shouldn't someone who works for the tax dollar. A person who has a bachelors degree should get paid more than someone who doesn't regardless of where he/she is employed. Many of the people I work with can't or wont go to school, becausse it is too much expense on the family. Some have Associate degrees, some have bachelors degrees, and some have a masters degree with four courses beyond the master's degree, for which whose school loan of $25,000.00 was just paid off after 15 GD years. As I said though only about half of my department has any college under the belt. If you take on more responsibilty in the workplace you have a right to ask for and receive more compensation if the people that negotiate with you agree. Computors are an everyday skill true, but if are unions didn't seek out more compensation for us as a group we would still be earning $5.00 an hour to do cleanup work that no one else has the you know what to do. Yes we should do what is commonly perceived as everyday chores the same as everyone else without getting anything in return. Computors themselves only make our job easier in the end. And to that end using that logic we could get pay deducted. Just kidding. I have never met Hooper but I think we would get along just fine.
Education in police departments has all but eradicated brutality complaints. And that has everything to do with higher education taking place in a diverse learning atmosphere on college campuses. I don't know of anyone who has worked toward that end, a college degree, and was willing to give it up just to lose everything because they couldn't keep thier hands to themselves. Thier was whole office buildings of attorneys in Boston and elsewhere which were living off of the insurance companies that cover municipalites and the police departments.

One more thing, if you drive by a detail where the officer is staring in the hole call the police department in that town. It isn't right I agree. Complain. But you have to remember, an officers primary responsibilty at a detail is to keep you away from the equipment, not the other way around. Also when you drive be a detail on rte. 3 or the pike and the trooper is sitting in his car call the barracks and complain, because they are screwing it up for everyone, but they made a deal with ........, err I mean Patrick and they threw local officers to the wolves.

Don't just beef about it here, go to your town meetings, particpate, vote, get on town boards, and by all means call, complain we hear it all day, we are used to it.

Or take the civil service exam and get "on the job", you know like the old navy add says, see the world.

Last edited by Swimmer; 10-30-2008 at 09:24 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #20
JH Beers

For what it's worth, it's something that we might take for granted, but many might not.

Had to deal with doing tech support for the Houston Independent School District for a while... these are TEACHERS that can't use computers. A cop that's used to typing his reports on a typewriter isn't nearly as bad, all things considered.
JH Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #21
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Well evidently all the cops didn't get the memo to switch to bagels

Krispy Kremes anyone?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...ng_Donuts.html
Old 10-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Hooper
Southsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Well evidently all the cops didn't get the memo to switch to bagels

Krispy Kremes anyone?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...ng_Donuts.html

Good Find, Bugger! I've never had a Krispy Kreme, Dunks pretty much crushed them before they could get going around here didn't they....But on a serious note, that guys should be fired, immediately. Why? Because it's wrong, obviously, but it makes Swimmer and me both look bad, guilt by association. I am sure I can speak for you Swimmer, I hate a dirty cop, I cannot for the life of me understand why some in this business stick up for guys no matter how awful their conduct is.

Education? I think it's important for police to have education. The liability assumed by a town, the complexity of the laws, the demands society puts on us... If I can take away your freedom and put you in jail, don't you think I should be an educated person? I believe two years of college should be the minimum and four is about right. In my place, over half of my co-workers hold Master's degrees. And we have four officers who hold law degrees and are members of the Bar.

The admin at my place has a pretty easy job of things (aside from the half millions dollar budget shortfall, that is...) they don't worry about their cops stealing from people, brutalizing people, drinking on the job, beating their wives, and all this other crap that comes out of some PD's, nor should they!

And I think it starts with hiring people who are intelligent, college should be required. And, being a veteran of the 25th Infantry Division, I like to see veterans coming on the job, too. But, if Deval Patrick gets his wish, the Quinn Bill will be gone soon which pays me and others a higher salary for holding a degree.

It's funny, I have friends around town who went into real estate, home building, plumbing, finance, banking and some who started their own businesses. Some of them made some huge salaries over the last ten or so years. They envied my vacation time, but that was about it. I often heard, "You guys don't get paid enough for the crap you deal with" or "I don't know how you do it..." And I thought many times, what a fool I was for going down this career path. Now, they're taking it on the chin in many ways, and it's only been in the last year or so that I have been hearing about what an easy job I have and how much I earn, how much time off I get, I shouldn't get paid for having a degree.

I guess the old saying "It's the economy, stupid" rings true yet again!

Last edited by Hooper; 10-31-2008 at 07:39 AM..
Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'd like to reply....but I'm afraid my picture will come up on one of those computers and I'll never get another warning again

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #24
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
I'm glad to see that there are SOME people out there that agree that we (Police Officers) should be compensated for having a degree. I hold a Masters degree in CJ with a minor in Business Management. I am still paying for these degrees and will be for another 12 years. I've been out since 1998. HOWEVER....

Good old Cadillac Devil Patrick is again threatening to take away any education incentive from us i.e. the Quinn Bill. It was a very close defeat during this round of cuts but we have been warned from our unions.....it's on the chopping block and can expect the ax to fall.

Essentially, his campaign promise of "1,000 new cops on the streets" meant in the unemployment line. It seems he wants uneducated officers out there. NOW, even my small town is facing a potential layoff as are many other towns that have or are in the process of laying off. In a time where we should have more officers out there preventing the constant thefts (Increasing every day in our town), we are losing officers. Couple that with the potential to have our pay drastically cut without an education incentive, this state will be facing a mass exodus both my retirements as well as officers seeking gainful employment in other states that pay more.

We live in a scary time and it's not going to get better for quite a while!

To address the 9/11 holiday, computer stipend and the officers picketing the detail construction zones.....

BTW....I take my bagel Onion, toasted with Veggie Cream Cheese

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
Saltheart

Sorry if the donut crack was outdated but at 9 AM I had outside influences putting ideas in my head since when I posted it I was eating....a donut!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #26
Raven

Bob you/ve try the smoked gouda cheese spread made in vermont.... a casual purchase one afternoon and now we look for it where ever we go,,,
Old 10-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #27
Hooper
Southsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Sorry if the donut crack was outdated but at 9 AM I had outside influences putting ideas in my head since when I posted it I was eating....a donut!

None taken Salt, BTW, butternut is my favortie when I get weak!

Hey Bob, we lost five patrol officers this summer in a department of 60. We can thank our wonder school committe for that one. They couldn't get their budget passed at 2 town wide votes, so they did an end-around and stole funds from the other town departments, thus bye-bye to five guys....It was larceny over if I have ever seen it. But, here is the good news, we have brand new goal posts on the football field now, and the team is 5 & 2 so the town is better off.

I have been in touch with other department in warmer states and I feel certain that if Massachusetts gives us the big FU, they'll be happy to take me, and I can fish year 'round to boot, tough call there....

If we loses Quinn, I am screwed and so are many others. Without details and reduced OT, I'll be paying the town on Friday each week, if Cadillac gets his way. There won't be any reason to stay here in Mass any longer when I know southern departments are comprable in pay, have a lower cost of living and I can pay cash for a home when mine sells, even in this !@#$%^& market.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

[quote=Hooper;633630]But on a serious note, that guys should be fired, immediately. Why? Because it's wrong, obviously, but it makes Swimmer and me both look bad, guilt by association. I am sure I can speak for you Swimmer, I hate a dirty cop, I cannot for the life of me understand why

some in this business stick up for guys no matter how awful their conduct is.

It is called soldiering, sticking up for the bad guy or underachiever, surrounding him so he doesn't look as bad.

You all have to remember one thing, we pay taxes also, and many of us look at many of the inequities some of you see in much the same way.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 10-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #29
JH Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas View Post
BTW....I take my bagel Onion, toasted with Veggie Cream Cheese
Are you dealing with a serial crusher?
JH Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Hey Hooper......

5 out of 60 doesn't sound all that bad....keeping it in perspective. We've got 10 officers, including the Chief. The town just said to cut 10% of the PD budget. That's $100k! Lessee....we've already cut down $30k earlier this year....we run with 2 guys on a shift....2 layoffs means I'm back to working alone. Safe??? NOT!!

However, just like you, the schools get a blank check. They had 2 override votes earlier this year for $600k. Both failed. Being a regional school district, the school board said fine.....you've got to come up with the money SOMEHOW!! Well, cut each department, cut down on the OT, town has not purchased a new cruiser for us in 9 years (Chief is forced to get them off grants, 1 per year) and now they want to cut us some more. Total BS. That's 4 years in a row the school department has DEMANDED over $500k but they have NEVER made ANY cuts in their budget.

Sorry to digress......just struck a nerve

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote