Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Saltheart

omissions , half truths and outright lies...everybody has an agenda

Recently I have been getting tons of emails about Obama's proposed health care programs. Each one is very clear about one particular point and their inetrpretation of that single point or statement but then says absolutely nothing about other points or stipuulations that may address or mitigate that point.

An exampel is all the people who now look for any little thing they can harp on to make the health care plans sound like the dark ages when in fact , they only care about the abortion part of it. If the plans involves any positive support for abortion or what they call "pro choice" the anti abortion people come up with twenty different scary things they blast all over the internet as if they are concerned with these minute details when all they are doing is piling more crap on to promote their single real cause.

Now I just used abortion as an example because I have seen it recently on the emails I get. It could be any other agenda where people want to rpomote one idea and do so by taking everything they can out of context or partial explanations and using these to try to defeat a bigger idea which does contain the one thing they are opposed to.

The ones that kill me most are when there is a statement that goes on for say 10 paragraphs. The anti whatevers grab one sentence out of those 10 paragraphs then they just use half of that sentence or parts of that sentence to make some interpretation of what was said to be favorable or against some idea that frightens people.

Imagine out of 10 paragraphs about health care there is a sentence that reads

" As may be required under existing or future legislation , this health care option will cover all pregnancy related medical care such as premature deliveries, miscarriages or abortions"

The story then gets told with no reference to the other 10 paragraphs and the headline reads "..future...health care options will cover all...abortions"

This is now happening all the time on boths sides of the issues. Its almost impossible for Americans to know what is really proposed or what has really been said by whom.

Another example of a sentence or two taken out of context and then repieced together

"The recent preliminary analysis or weather data from the Pacicfic Northwest by NOAA shows a long term trend for cooling on a global basis rather than global warming over the last 20 to 100 years."

Then becomes

Recent..weather data from..NOAA shows a long term trend for ..global warming over the last..100years."

This kind or half truth , out of context , fact omiting information in my opinion is outright lying.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
The ones that kill me most are when there is a statement that goes on for say 10 paragraphs. The anti whatevers grab one sentence out of those 10 paragraphs then they just use half of that sentence or parts of that sentence to make some interpretation of what was said to be favorable or against some idea that frightens people.
I fully agree with you. A perfect, non-abortion example of this is the whole "Death Panel" fabrications. Palin took one line, harped on it, spun the issue and then the whole party jumped on board.

And you're absolutely right, it goes like that for both parties. Some on the Right see the bill as far too expensive (rightfully so), then they Left spins the topic that the Right is against people that can't afford health insurance being given health care.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

reason - if there is a loophole, it will be exploited.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Raven

bunch a hooey
Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Its almost impossible for Americans to know what is really proposed or what has really been said by whom.
I agree SH, the biggest problem is just about nobody, especially the citizens, really know what is in this 1500 page bill.

It's insane, it will take years to decipher it let alone implement all it's parts.

With an estimated cost of around a trillion dollars, and being a partisan bill with meetings behind closed doors,
it's only natural mistrust and discrepancies have developed..

" Choose Life "
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
spence

This is symptomatic of the entire political debate these days. 90% of the dialogue is based on misinformation and there fore largely moot.

Hence, all politics being local.

-spence
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Saltheart

Its impossible to find the truth but the scumbags will find every little thing in the 1500 pages that will enable them to line their pockets and rip off the average Joe. They'll be lawyers by the thousands looking to exploit it but nobody looking at it to explain it to citizens in plain English!

Saltheart
Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Its impossible to find the truth but the scumbags will find every little thing in the 1500 pages that will enable them to line their pockets and rip off the average Joe. They'll be lawyers by the thousands looking to exploit it but nobody looking at it to explain it to citizens in plain English!
Yup, it's being designed that way. They don't want you to know what it covers, or not, and what the true cost will be either.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Yup, it's being designed that way. They don't want you to know what it covers, or not, and what the true cost will be either.
1500 pages and "They are giving members of the House 72 hours to review the document before discussions in front of the full assembly take place."

A major document like that with the goal of overhauling an integral system in the country needs more like a month of review.

I really wish the House and Senate weren't so lopsided to the Left.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Saltheart

Doesn't matter if you lean too far to the left or too far to the right , the boat still tips over!

I was watching the RI general assembly last night. They all stand around shooting the bull then a bill comes up and they rush to their desk and hit a button then they rush back to continue shooting the bull. I don't think they have any idea what the bills are that they are voting on , they just have numbers. They even had one guy asking if they could announce a little a head of time which bills would be coming up for a vote so that he could look them up and see what he was voting on. They ignored him!

Hionestly , people pay more attention at the bingo hall than these people do in the general assembly.

The country is sinking. The best and brightest will not go near politics anymore do to muck raking and personal attacks. That leaves the country in the hands of people with second rate intellects who get involved so they can cash in and get rich personally.

I can already see what the history books will say.....The once strong United States slipped into mediocrity while its citizens watched Reality TV.

More people know the names of the finalists on American Ideal than know the names of their senators and congressman.

God Bless America , it sure needs it now!

Saltheart
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you lean too far to the left or too far to the right , the boat still tips over!

I was watching the RI general assembly last night. They all stand around shooting the bull then a bill comes up and they rush to their desk and hit a button then they rush back to continue shooting the bull. I don't think they have any idea what the bills are that they are voting on , they just have numbers. They even had one guy asking if they could announce a little a head of time which bills would be coming up for a vote so that he could look them up and see what he was voting on. They ignored him!

Hionestly , people pay more attention at the bingo hall than these people do in the general assembly.

The country is sinking. The best and brightest will not go near politics anymore do to muck raking and personal attacks. That leaves the country in the hands of people with second rate intellects who get involved so they can cash in and get rich personally.

I can already see what the history books will say.....The once strong United States slipped into mediocrity while its citizens watched Reality TV.

More people know the names of the finalists on American Ideal than know the names of their senators and congressman.

God Bless America , it sure needs it now!

Amen.

" Choose Life "