Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #271
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
Hi Larry,Wish I could figure out the prob with gettin pics up here. I've got so much of Bob's stuff that it's crazy.Was a very good freind and a great teacher. Kinda sucks him bein gone.He's the one that got me into plug fishing as a kid up here in Maine back in the 60's
bummer you can't post pics ,, You can probably help us out alot with info and history ,.. This stuff isn't in books . I believe this to be an Atom (Bob Pond ) jigg ,, weighs 3.2 ...good friend gave it to me ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bobpond.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	37327  
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #272
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Out of curiosity how'd you find out about his passing. Ron
check main forum here and SOL .. Everyone loved your friend Bob ...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #273
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its posted in the main forum and on SOL! Maybe you could share some stories with us? Sorry for your very personal loss Ron.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #274
the greek

These are a couple 40'ish knockoffs I've been playing with. It's shorter at 6 1/4" but bigger in diameter and weighs 2.85 oz.

the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #275
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

We've all made a jr. or a 40 .... what plug builder has not been influenced by Bob Pond ? nice pics Ted ..
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #276
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Good mornin'. I'm here, but should be drilling. Got church in an hour, not all that religious but whatever.

As for a topic for today....how about lips. These things drive me crazy. So many guys make "copies" that are not true to the original. Sure if you build your own thing using the lip as the base you can do OK, but if you want to copy something old you are out of luck.

There are good Lefty (actually Musso) lips available.
Salty's conrad lip is perfect.
The large Pikie lip is great.........but one with a mid slot hole would be greater yet for us guys who like surface swimmers.
Perfect surfster lips are available.

Nobody makes an accurate mid or small danny lip. The medium danny lips available are wider, longer, and with a slightly higher hole than the lips that are used on medium Pichney, Lupo, BM surface swimmer.....which are as perfect a bass lure as you can find.

There is no match for the large conrad, or the BM cowboy/ Bm version A40.

Yeah, yeah......I know if you are doing your own thing you can use what is out there and be happy. But a lot of us enjoy copying and fishing stuff that is no longer available. Yes, for any one or two, or six plugs you can cut your own lips....but if you want to make multiples you are out of luck.

So how do I go about making my own dies?
Good afternoon all
George an easier way is to flatten a lip you want and get a sheet metal shop with a N/C laser or water jet to make as many as you want with the slot were you want it for about a $1.00 or so a piece and bend them yourself.I know a couple of places with some friends working or owning the shops.If you have something you want let me Know i can get you pricing.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #277
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Laser, eh? Do they sell those on Craig's list?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #278
stripermaineiac

Hi Tagger, I just went out in the shop an looked through a box of lead heads Bob played with, Got a few of them in it all different sizes. He loved the peice of broom handle with a leadhead behind it and was always experimenting with it. Ihe one he put on the market with the change able hair started out with a couple blems that the sun got to and floated a bit higher in the water Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #279
numbskull

Nice plugs, Ted. Look like they "fit the lip" better than the actual originals did. How wide did you make them?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #280
stripermaineiac

Hi all,I just talked with Avis' daughter. They're gonna try to do a memorial service next Sat. She's gonna have her son put the info up on the web sites to get it out.This will give people time to make travel plans an such. If I get anymore info I can post I'll put it out there. Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #281
numbskull

Quote:
Hi Tagger, I just went out in the shop an looked through a box of lead heads Bob played with............
That is what I'll remember most about Bob Pond, he had such an inquisitive and enthusiastic mind. Fish, fishing, plugs, jigs.......always thinking and working at figuring things out, trying something new and different.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #282
stripermaineiac

Well I'm headin out to the shop an do some turnin an look at some old pics an such. Quite a surprise. Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #283
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Headed down the basement to do some drilling...I will check in later!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #284
the greek

Quote:
Nice plugs, Ted. Look like they "fit the lip" better than the actual originals did. How wide did you make them?
I made the plug as wide as the lip at the widest point which is where the rear taper starts. I like the one I did from pine the best. That is the yellow one. I made the others from cypress and they weigh exactly the same as the pine one. Swim is different. I know I should have expected it but it surprised me how different. I can get the pine one to swim subsurface and is pretty stable but the cypress ones won't leave the top. They are also pretty unstable and will roll out if cranked hard but leave a big wake with alot of tail wag. These are my first attempts at a forty and at least I have somewhere to go from here. I wish I had access to some of the older plugs like you guys seem to have. Trying to find them let alone people to bounce ideas off here is difficult at best here.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #285
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

No ProfMoriarty this am?? Hmmmmm?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #286
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Had to get my beauty sleep and just got home from church and the house looks like a bomb went off so wife is on my butt to help clean up the remnants of hurricane Caitlin that went thru here on Friday morning. Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
Lips well Lu mentioned water jet. I have tried for a while to get some done down at WHOI as they have one but no luck so far. I also know someone who knows someone that owns a place that does that so I am still at work on it. The dies are too expensive for someone to buy if they are not going to go into business and now there are several doing it so not worth trying to make a business venture out of it. So I just make a few here and there for my self and a few friends and live with that. But I am not giving up on the water jet thing. The bending is very simple it is the outline that takes me the most time so water jet would be perfect, if I can get it down to a reasonable cost. Just this week I took regular Pikie 3 lips and just recut the lip slot where is should be for Pichney surface swimmers. Should work perfect.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #287
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by the greek View Post
These are my first attempts at a forty and at least I have somewhere to go from here. I wish I had access to some of the older plugs like you guys seem to have. Trying to find them let alone people to bounce ideas off here is difficult at best here.
Ted ... you can borrow mine for models ,,either pic up at fest or since your working on them now ,I could mail em .. should copy the jr. to for future referrence,, fatter,,stubbier than bm and others ..
Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #288
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
How's Barbie doing now adays ? Is she feeling the recession ? What kind of house ?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #289
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

friggin 3 story with elevator, hot tub, and a toilet that flushes with sound effects. Got a corvette in the drive too. I am curious how she gets the $$$ to afford the dig's, but I have an idea.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #290
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Had to get my beauty sleep and just got home from church and the house looks like a bomb went off so wife is on my butt to help clean up the remnants of hurricane Caitlin that went thru here on Friday morning. Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
Lips well Lu mentioned water jet. I have tried for a while to get some done down at WHOI as they have one but no luck so far. I also know someone who knows someone that owns a place that does that so I am still at work on it. The dies are too expensive for someone to buy if they are not going to go into business and now there are several doing it so not worth trying to make a business venture out of it. So I just make a few here and there for my self and a few friends and live with that. But I am not giving up on the water jet thing. The bending is very simple it is the outline that takes me the most time so water jet would be perfect, if I can get it down to a reasonable cost. Just this week I took regular Pikie 3 lips and just recut the lip slot where is should be for Pichney surface swimmers. Should work perfect.
I have a bud that just got an EDM says he wants to make me some as a test and then make more for me at 50 cents a piece.Have to get over to see him.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #291
BILLC

I have 3 wire EDM's at work. Have been trying to get one of the guys in engineering to write some programs but the machines are always busy doing dies.
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #292
the greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Ted ... you can borrow mine for models ,,either pic up at fest or since your working on them now ,I could mail em .. should copy the jr. to for future referrence,, fatter,,stubbier than bm and others ..
That would be great. I would love to at least take a look at some at plugfest.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #293
the greek

Also I hope what I wrote did not come across wrong. When I said trying to bounce ideas off someone here is difficult, I meant here where I'm at in PA not here in this forum. Everyone here has always been helpful to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #294
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by the greek View Post
I can get the pine one to swim subsurface and is pretty stable but the cypress ones won't leave the top. They are also pretty unstable and will roll out if cranked hard but leave a big wake with alot of tail wag. .
Have you tried bending the line tie up to get them down? If no go, try tweaking the lip upwards a touch.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #295
the greek

Quote:
Have you tried bending the line tie up to get them down? If no go, try tweaking the lip upwards a touch.

I tried playing with the line tie a little. Not much help. Also tried swapping out the 3/0 that are on there with 4/0 and not much different either. May go a bit higher with my lipslot on another and see what happens. Also if I can find some AYC big enough I may try one with that and see what happens. I will try bending the lip up a bit as you suggested.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #296
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
I have a bud that just got an EDM says he wants to make me some as a test and then make more for me at 50 cents a piece.Have to get over to see him.
you go girl. sounds like a very nice friend to have. I have no tool and die friends anymore. I'm stuck making them by hand right now, which is ok for me, but feel bad when i can't get enough to supply all my friends.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #297
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLC View Post
I have 3 wire EDM's at work. Have been trying to get one of the guys in engineering to write some programs but the machines are always busy doing dies.
that is the problem for me too. The darn CNC machines are alway busy making my boss money and not doing fun 3 axis stuff for me so I am stuck figuring out ways to do it the old fashion way that doesn't take an eternity, so as to make it worth while to bother.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #298
Jigman

Quote:
...Nobody makes an accurate mid or small danny lip....
The Cape Cod tackle small danny lip has worked well for me. Use them on a 1 1/2 oz danny that I do. Dont know how it matches up with the dannys you were thinking about, but it might be worth a try.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #299
go4broke44

lu, wheres the paint shaker pics?

looking forward to seeing it
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #300
eastendlu

LOL i will take them later today and post them up.