Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

Cant a charter boat also keep the limit for the captain and any crew? That last time i did a 6 pack we kept 16 fish. Way tooo many. The Capt wasnt too keen on catch and release but that was close to 10 years ago.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rockcrawler View Post
Cant a charter boat also keep the limit for the captain and any crew? That last time i did a 6 pack we kept 16 fish. Way tooo many. The Capt wasnt too keen on catch and release but that was close to 10 years ago.
Yes, the keep on a charter boat (or any boat) is based on the number of people fishing. All charter boats do is give access to fishing grounds to people who may not otherwise be able to fish.

However, the interesting point is the situation of a 2 keeper limit, 3 paying customers, and 2 crew (captain and mate) and they keep 10 fish. If the captain and mate let the paying customers keep the extra 4 fish, are they not in fact commercial fishing? I would think that once the customers walk off the dock with the extra fish it is in effect poaching since they are paying for the fish. (This would not be the case as on my boat where I might give a friend my two fish, since the friend isn't paying for the trip).

Agree?

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

For instance.
When the duke takes a 1200 dollar bass charter out at the end of the day he was bass fishing for money. A commercial endeavor.
When he takes us out comm fishing with him, at the end of the day he was bass fishing for money, a commercial endeavor.
Outward appearances everything is the same. (other than the amount of fish potentially killed per day but he also has a much longer window of opportunity chartering )
Everyone should document their bass kill.
Commercial
Charter
Rec
Very easy to do, If anyone wants to.
Would sure help with all the Guesstimating going on.

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
For instance.
When the duke takes a 1200 dollar bass charter out at the end of the day he was bass fishing for money. A commercial endeavor.
When he takes us out comm fishing with him, at the end of the day he was bass fishing for money, a commercial endeavor.
Outward appearances everything is the same. (other than the amount of fish potentially killed per day but he also has a much longer window of opportunity chartering )
Everyone should document their bass kill.
Commercial
Charter
Rec
Very easy to do, If anyone wants to.
Would sure help with all the Guesstimating going on.
It would be a pain in the butt to document every bass you take over the year, but maybe that's where we're headed. I know I do a survey for NOAA since I have a HMS license. I guess my view is this; if we're going to have scientists and politicians regulating our sport, the least they can do is use good data.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

For most of us just a handful of dead fish a year,
just send it in electronically.
I am only talking dead fish here.
Done once at the end of the year
Not talking weights and measures just a body count.

You have a Her Majesties Ship license.

Last edited by MAKAI; 02-08-2010 at 10:40 PM..

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote