Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-13-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
shifting problems

Well I was able to get to the ramp today for the first time this year. And that is as far as I got. I have tno reverse?/ I have tryed everthing I can figure and still no reverse?? I can shift it by hand but when I attach the cables it is all messed up??
I guess I willto take it some were to get fixed
I can't belive that I was able to do all the work from the fiberglass to the install of the bracket to all wireing and install of the motor by myself and I am hung up ,on #^&#^&#^&#^&ing cables
O well.
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
fishaholic18
Finally

C'mon, don't give up that easy. Did you check the cable adjustments? Or see if they are even moving?
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
macojoe
Seal Control

everything is moving and I have adjusted them more then I can count. I just can't seem to find the rt cobo. eaither I have forward and neutral or reverse and neutral. But not all three??????
I have had it. I will try one more time tomorrow and then to the yard it will go.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:45 AM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

Mac,
Don't be so hard on yourself, you've done a hell of a job on your boat and saved $hit load of dough doing it. It's better to find your problem at the ramp vs miles offshore.
Good luck
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
macojoe
Seal Control

Well here is a couple of pic of the finished ANCHOR!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02939.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	3780  
Old 05-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #6
macojoe
Seal Control

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02940.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3781  
Old 05-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
Raven

WHAT IF U -> go look at another

MJ....its the little things you take for granted (ie thinking their easy or relying on memory) so its best Always to label everything with the white first aid tape writing what each is. Something i learned the Hard way. Also what i do now...is to make sketches
of how everything looks and soon i'll digitally photograph anything
before i take it apart. That when way you get stuck your not going; "oh shoot , how'd they go again" ...especially if its suddenly dinner time or there's some other distraction. Perhaps theres a dealer or a neighbor that has a similar setup like yours that you can go and copy, take notes and >>SEE>> your mistake.
Just a tip...i feel bad for ya and thought this MIGHT help .If not sorry if it sounded like a "i told ya so" comment. I've been there.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
macojoe
Seal Control

Ok I have found the proble or should I say the problem found me. As i was playing around with the thing trying to get it to shift the shift rod broke!!! This is a $800 as far as a few people have told me. So I have no Idea if I am even going to get into the water this year now.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
Jon G
got SeaCraft?

Maco Joe first of all nice job on the bracket! I've read about the Yami shift rods over on the wmi boaters board. I think if you did it yourself it would be alot less than $800 if every thing came apart easily. What year is that engine? The older ones had a steel shift rod and the new part is stainless to last alot longer.
Jon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #10
Raven

Exclamation dude, no friggan way!!

Everyone has connections: We will find you the part!! just get it identified first -> exactly !! model, part number, ect. and we will all go from there..and get it. dont dispair...from what i've heard and or read ...you have earned this Season. So"if "theres a Will.......
there is -> a Way..ok >> Remember this.... never argue for your limitations , because if you do ...................sure enough they will become yours. So get the part number and let the power of the net work for you. Somewhere, Someone has that part sitten on a shelf and maybe all the person wants for it is a striped bass fishin trip. keep your chin up and always think positive. no worries.
Certain things are meant to happen in Life. - Raven
Old 05-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #11
Raven

Thumbs up checked a connection

I know a mechanic and told him i need a shift rod for reverse and he was like all over it but with out any details like YR> make> model >size mortor ect. i require MORE info.... feed me data.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
macojoe
Seal Control

First Thanks Raven!! And I am sorry for this lond post but I feel it needs telling:
First off let may say you guys are great! 2nd I get mad fast and when things like this happen I don't think I just get made and blow a gasket. I feel that I try so hard to do things my self and try to do it rt all the time. And Just when I think things are going great BAM rt in the A#@ It always seems to be this way with me. And after the dust settles I always seem to get thur.
The guy I bought the motor from is a Yamaha Machanic and a nice guy. I bought the motor back in Oct. and I bought it as is. Before I bought this motor I went onto IBoats.com and asked them what to look for in a Yamaha because I have never owned one. They told me all about the engin and what the compression should be and to ck the lower unit oil ect ect... and even told me of the shift rod with the word BEWARE.
I went to look at the motor and it looked real good. I said can you do the compersion test for me he said no problem and they were all between 123 and 125 which was great. I asked to hear it run and he did it. Ran great. Let it run in a tank for about ten min. ck the temp with a non touch thermotor and it was running at 165 and 168 at the two heads, Great. Then I turned to the shift rod and it looked thiner then the top but it looked like it had pleanty of meat and the guy thought so also. So after a careful inspection I bought the motor as is for $1800.00
Fast forward to now. I installed the motor and I had a couple of wire ?? I called the guy told him who I was and he said O yea hows it going and said he would help me. Abd he did answered all my ?? no problem. Then I had to call him again for a tac problem again he helped me and I thnked him again. Then yet another call which again this guy was more then happy to help.
He was under no oblagation to help but did. Then I called because I had the shifting stuff going on. again he helped all he could. I said that if I could notfigure it out could I bring it to him and he could set it up for me? Again no problem anything I can do to help. So I set up a time to go to his place this up comming Mon.
Then a friend came buy and said that he looked at a couple of other Yamaha set ups and that I have the wrong connectore on the motor end, and that we should try to shift it again. So we did and that is when the rod broke!! I wanted to cry.
Again I called the guy who sold me the motor and told him the deal. He said he was surprised because he thought it was Ok for now. and was sorry.
I said would he do the job for me and that I no I bought the motor as is and was not looking for anything free. that I was willing to pay, and how much would he try.
He said he would give me two options #1 He would fix the motor and that the rod was about $75.00 and the gasket was about $15.00 He would fix it for $300 if everything went well and worse case $500.00 I said at the worse it would not be more then $500 he said thats rt. I am not really making any money on this but felt bad that I was having this problem and he was just going to try to cover his cost.
Well after reading the post here and at a few other sites I have seen this problem cost from $800 to $1800 so I thiught this was great of him!!
Option #2 after7 months of owning this motor I could bring it back and he would give me back all my money no questions. I said really?? you are liabale because I bought it as is!! He said I just want to do rt by you and if that is what it took so be it. I will fix it and re sell it for more money this time of year and with the upgrade.
Well guys this sounds like a great bissness man to me and I think I my have found me a new motor man for life!! I have decided to get the motor fixed and he will take the motor on Monday and start rt on it. I said how long will it take. He said you are the only one that I am going to work on so I have done this about 500 times now so I no some tricks and I think I should have it done in 2 to 3 DAYS I said DAYS?? He said thats rt I will turn it around as fast as I can.
Well guys sorry for the XXXXXXXXXXXXLong post but felt that this story had to be told form the beginning so that you could see the whole pic.
If all works out this guy will be my HERO!
So thanks for listing to my ramble and good luck with the rest of your job Bigshrimpin and I hope you will be all set Chmbucket. But as BigS said his started to twist so that nutral was always changin it posstion till no reverse and that same was for me. So use it but if you see this starting to happen You will no what it is.
Again sorry for the long post.
I keep refering to the GUY His Name is Jeff
I will keep you posted
Old 05-15-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Jon G
got SeaCraft?

Awsome that's the type of guy you love to do business with! I that engine looks well taken care of in the pics. I think that every one has these problems at on time or another. One day I'll be loving the boat having a blast and in the course of ten minutes it all down the toilet and I want to leave it floating in the harbor. I ordered a fuel pump kit for my outboard and it came in on wed. so I picked it up and and went straight home to install it. Things were going to well and thats when I dropped one of the paper thin check valves down the back of my work bench , instantly my blood presure shot to around 350 over 150 and luckily I called the dealer and they had another one in stock so I bought the second kit and went home to finish the job. These thing can turn around on you in a hurry. You should have seen me last sunday when I thought that the brand new fuel tank had something clogging the pick up I brought it home parked it and was so mad I couldn't see straight. The next day I calmed down and went to gettin' her fixed, a little of this and a little of that and its all better People that call them pleasure boats have obviously never had one Hope you get it back soon sounds like you will.
Jon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 AM   #14
Van
zoom

Sounds like a keeper mechanic.

Usually they talk in weeks not days

GOOD LUCK....

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #15
Raven

Thumbs up working off steam Efficiently

Sometimes Macojoe: Murphy's Law Happens saying: when everything is perfect beware! Because the chit is about to hit the fan. What i do to burn off steam is to do some Martial Arts excercise so that my temper is utilized in an effecient way.
My other method is to grab my big grub hoe pick and start swinging that sucka on a new garden bed i want to dig untill its done . Then thoroughly pooped out i have then channeled that negativity into something that will help me grow my veggies to go with my fish filet.[[ " Experience" ]] is said to be NOT making a mistake, because you have already-> made it ->once.... before.
and your welcome Macojoe...anytime. I look at all problems like Sherlock Holmes on a CASE and when i get a clue or a direction to
solve it ,I simply say:" The Game is afoot Watson "and take off __>