Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So Salty is disrespectful in your opinion?I think it is more about intent,but please answer the question honestly because his van certainly does not meet your criteria.
I guess you missed this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Like I said...I'm as patriotic as the next guy and I laud everybody who embraces their country and displays the flag however they want.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Raven

i respectfully disagree

if it was my kid he would be home schooled
from that day forward

I rest my Case
Old 11-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I guess you missed this part
TDF, I'm trying to interpret the entire post rather than single paragraphs.Seems a little contradictory though.Especially when you can choose to laud someone who,at the same time, when in your words he is being disrespectful by showing his patriotism with a tattered flag on his vehicle or home.Which you called one of your biggest pet peeves.Please don't take it personally,I guess I need to be educated regarding flag ettiquette.So, it's NOT OK when emblazoned on a shirt,but is fine when emblazoned on a vehicle as long as it is not depicted as tattered?Please clarify your statement because the initial post you made seems confusing.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Is it ok on a fishing lure??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Is it ok on a fishing lure??
or a condom?

apparently the libs in the bankrupt state of California have high on their priority list the following...banning American Flags, Happy Meals and Circumcision

all are highly offensive to many on the left and their varous constituency groups and should be eliminated or replaced with marajuana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2628476_431.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	42449  

Last edited by scottw; 11-14-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

Thank You TDF for a very thorough explanation.I'm 46 and had never seen such a list of requirements.I still stand by my original post when I mentioned intent.Salty must now send it to Maaco to atone for his patriotic advertising.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
scottw

I attended a military funeral for a friend recently...watching the handling of the flag during that ceremony was remarkable and moving and my friend, who was a stickler for proper flag etiquitte would have been quite impressed..outside of the Boy Scouts and military, I'm not sure that it's taught or mentioned for the most part
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
TDF, I'm trying to interpret the entire post rather than single paragraphs.Seems a little contradictory though.Especially when you can choose to laud someone who,at the same time, when in your words he is being disrespectful by showing his patriotism with a tattered flag on his vehicle or home.Which you called one of your biggest pet peeves.Please don't take it personally,I guess I need to be educated regarding flag ettiquette.So, it's NOT OK when emblazoned on a shirt,but is fine when emblazoned on a vehicle as long as it is not depicted as tattered?Please clarify your statement because the initial post you made seems confusing.
Its mixed emotions.....May seem a little contradictory because me and the written word don't exactly get along perfectly at times

I can't be mad at somebody for showing patriotism, but lots of times it is not done by proper flag etiquette.

Technically the flag should not be on either places. The flag is supposed to be a flag....waving freely and in a good condition.

its funny too, but JohnnyD (not picking on you just pointing it out) says he gets upset when he sees a flag of another country at the same hight as the american flag....that actually IS proper flag etiquette.....as long as the American Flag is to the right (See Below)

a lot of people get fired up about disrespecting the flag....but don't really know what the proper etiquette is.

here is a list of what is proper flag etiquette.....

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard

The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.

The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from a window, balcony, or a building, the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half staff.

When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.

When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building.

When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously. Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."