Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #12
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

Quote:
Originally posted by toonoc
Nils, I have Windows XP home on a new Dell, and use AOL 8.0.
I hate to say this, Windows XP home is limited in the amount of control and tweaking that you can do to it. It's ment for the casual home user with limited knowledge to computers and no desire to tweak (Until they realize how bad it is) and then its to late.

there is a lot of help and tweaks on this site http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/ but it's kinda limited to the pro version and some of it is editing your registry DO NOT EDIT REGISTRY BEFORE YOU BACK IT UP.

As an example on a tweak that can be done on both xp home and pro to remove an macromedia flash plugin: Disable IE's Macromedia Flash plug-in . Read the instructions before you do anything. Back up your computer before you start tweaking (at least your important data). I don't know what your skill level is and some of this can disable your computer if you do the wrong thing.... so be sure before you do anything.

Make sure you have all the original disks that came with the computer just in case you have to restore everything to original configuration.

The reason for all the warnings are from personal experience... I have locked up and crashed more computers than I can think of. I use Norton Ghost on all new computers to have an easy out reinstalling the computer.

Let me know if this helps or post specifics on the popups/problems. try to start computer in safe mode, the run adavare again. (I run adaware every time my cpu is restarted, I'm paranoid, I also run test to check for keystroke loggers, and I have pix firewall and personal firewall on my computer. I have a popup killer from a programmer in Sweden (I can't find his link to post but I'll continue looking).

nils

King Cove Kayak Center
926 Stonington Rd (US Route 1)
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730
is hosting the third annual Kayak Fishing Rodeo

Nils
NilsC is offline   Reply With Quote