Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #61
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
Hows this as change in tone Zimmy from the democratic party......


1960s...




2009........ " If I help him, hes gonna help me.

Nuff said Boss.


making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #62
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 9,481
For Christ sake Jim.
Seriously, a JFK clip vs an ignorant voter?
what are you bored at the office today? I expect better from you

It has been hashed here many many times. there are ignorant voters on both sides. I bet with a few minutes on youtube I can find a racist or anti-gay or Obama is a muslim clip from a McCain or GWB supporter.

Now if Obama was saying 'I'm going to pay their cas and mortgage" You have a valid comparision.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #63
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
For Christ sake Jim.
Seriously, a JFK clip vs an ignorant voter?
what are you bored at the office today? I expect better from you

It has been hashed here many many times. there are ignorant voters on both sides. I bet with a few minutes on youtube I can find a racist or anti-gay or Obama is a muslim clip from a McCain or GWB supporter.

Now if Obama was saying 'I'm going to pay their cas and mortgage" You have a valid comparision.
we are talking about a change in the country, a movement away from self reliance. Kennedy's speech was a call to action. Americans understood and believed in it. It would fall on deaf ears today.
I think these clips perfectly illustrates the change. This lady would have been deemed a commie in 1961 and marched out of the country if she made those remarks.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #64
striperman36
Old Guy
iTrader: (0)
 
striperman36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mansfield, MA
Posts: 8,760
I think the comparison of is valid in showing the perverse sense of entitlement American's believe they have coming to them from the government.

We've gone from a country that would do anything to stay off the dole to a country that refuses to work for anything
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #65
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
here you go Bryan....

blames everyone EXCEPT the individuals that took the loans. No blame whatsoever on the individuals, ie: self reliance


making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #66
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
then there my favorite of all time...


making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #67
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I was just going to add him to my ignore list because his comment was so ridiculous, but decided I might miss out on some really crazy, moonbat sh1t that he posts in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Even someone as clueless as you could look that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
And there you have it. The childish, uninformed response I was waiting for. :
Might look at your own responses before you throw out the childish charge. There are more people today, so it is irrelevant to the discussion to point out that there are more people on government assistance. Also, ther people did not make your point for you. I asked you directly and you have not given one shred of evidence to back up your point. Here is another inflation adjusted graphic that covers social insurances and public assistance. Do you have anything to back up your statement or are you only going to give circumstantial evidence of what you "see at work"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled_1.png
Views:	45
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	47256  

My eyes is goin' crazy!
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #68
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,234
The strange thing is that the conservative side usual lambasts liberals about basing their view points on "how they feel". That is much of what I see from the other side in these pages. Lots of perceptions and feelings and little factual basis or based on distortions of the truth. The discussions would have more value if the argument was that taxes shouldn't be raised on the wealthiest to pay for others health care or the amount of government assistance is too high. The argument that people are less self reliant than the 1970's or 80's is nearly impossible to back up with any data and is based on a personal perception rather than reality. Putting JFK up against that woman though is an amusing way to make the argument, though

My eyes is goin' crazy!
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #69
fishbones
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
fishbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Easton, MA
Posts: 5,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Might look at your own responses before you throw out the childish charge. There are more people today, so it is irrelevant to the discussion to point out that there are more people on government assistance. Also, ther people did not make your point for you. I asked you directly and you have not given one shred of evidence to back up your point. Here is another inflation adjusted graphic that covers social insurances and public assistance. Do you have anything to back up your statement or are you only going to give circumstantial evidence of what you "see at work"?
I never claimed that I'm not childish. There are a lot of people on this site that would verify that I'm about as childish as it gets.

As for your statistics, you post these graphs that back up your position, which is all well and good. What you don't post is a graph showing a state by state breakdown of state assistance to families. In 1996, Clinton signed a bill taking much of the federal assistance money and allocating it to the states for state run assistance programs. There's a huge amount of state $'s going to families on these programs. Why don't you look it up.

Also, you need to look at the size of families when you compare numbers from the 70's to present. Benefits are paid out based on the number of people in the family receiving them, and the average family size has decreased since the 70's. That would also help to explain the decrease in dollars per family being paid out.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #70
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
here you go Bryan....

blames everyone EXCEPT the individuals that took the loans. No blame whatsoever on the individuals, ie: self reliance

Actually, he doesn't blame everyone except the individuals. He specifically addresses the Wall Street bailout and the responsibility to cover the costs of the bailout by firms that benefited from it. If this were a discussion of the causes of housing collapse, then you would be correct. Since it isn't and unless you are implying that the financial firms should have been left to collapse, then it is almost totally unrelated to self reliance.

My eyes is goin' crazy!
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #71
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Clinton signed a bill taking much of the federal assistance money and allocating it to the states for state run assistance programs. There's a huge amount of state $'s going to families on these programs. Why don't you look it up.
Medicaid costs and CHIP are included in the second graph and they are definitely a concern. I will agree 100% on that. However, the reality is that those costs have grown astronomically with increase in costs for health care, not that people are less self reliant. The problem needs to be approached from the perspective that the rise in costs make the programs unsustainable, which gets lost in the argument when it is approached from the angle that people rely on the government more today than ever. It may cost more today, but a huge number of the people that receive assistance work 40 hours a week in low paying jobs that do not offer health care. The problem starts with the lack of good jobs and the insane rise in costs in medical care. 40 years ago if you were a laborer for Bethlehem Steel or in a textile mill, you had health coverage. Those jobs are gone. I have heard the same argument about lazy no good bums living off the government my entire life and to say it is worse now is factually untrue. Medical assistance and heating assistance cost more, and the economy tanked, so these are major issues that need to be addressed as much now as ever.

My eyes is goin' crazy!
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com