Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
LaPala

Making a Vibebait from laminating Acrylic - weight distribution test trick.

It's been ages since I have posted here. Now that I have stopped writing a hardbait DIY column for our local fishing magazine here (in Malaysia just in case you wanna ask), I have a bit more time to spare.
SO here goes:

Making a Vibebait from laminating Acrylic - weight distribution test trick.
I won't be very detail in describing the process as I will assume a basic knowledge of lure making is at your disposal already B)

1. These are the components of the lure body that is needed to be cut-out, shaped then glued up together:

Copper rods are used for aligning the pieces together.

2. To work out the weighting:

Styrofoam sheet is cut and shaped to fit the chambers in the middle piece, this is the closest approximation of air(available to me) that will occupy the chamber once it is glued up.

3. Water test and balance:

Just tape weight to the front to get the correct attitude for a vibebait. I'll assume those who will be attempting this has an understanding of how the weight distribution of a vibebait should be and how to get the desired action by varying the distribution. Anyway, this method is a great way to test them all without having to make lure after lure.

4. Weight used earlier on the head is hammered flat and shaped to fit in the head, acrylic cut out to fit head weight that is formed. Future contruction of same lure will just require the head weight be molded. So keep your notes

5. This is the end result:

Fins are carved from 1.5mm polycarbonate sheet.

and after some splashes of color.

Comments, questions and suggestions for improvement most welcomed.
(PS: Just to be fair, I participate in quite a number of lure making forums, so it's copy paste to all of them.:P :P)

Regards,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3517&dateline=1174078  960
LaPala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
WoodyCT

THAT is cool!

Nice work!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
blondterror

thanks for sharing this... this is very cool... do you use a dremel to shape the cavities in the 3 sections?

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
LaPala

Yes it's rotary tool carved, knife would take forever. The middle chambers are drilled then cutout with a scrollsaw.

Regards,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3517&dateline=1174078  960
LaPala is offline   Reply With Quote