Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Raven

you've mentioned that b4

allot of it is merely how "Catchy" it sounds

Romney/ Rubio is very Catchy sounding

Romney seems to be outta money ??
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
you've mentioned that b4

allot of it is merely how "Catchy" it sounds

Romney/ Rubio is very Catchy sounding

Romney seems to be outta money ??
I've been saying it since I first heard Rubio give speech when he was running for US Senate. He's impressive, and because of his Hispanic roots (and Hispanics are the fastest-growing segment of the US population), I believe Rubio is the most important Republican in the nation. If Republicans can't get a foothold into the Hispanic vote, we are doomed.

Is Romney having money trouble? I still believe it'll be Romney. Whether or not Obama gets re-elected will largely depend on what happens to the economy between now and November.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
PaulS

Romney/Rubio? Would the conservs. vote for 2 Mormans?

I was suprised to hear he didn't know when his family left Cuba.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Romney/Rubio? Would the conservs. vote for 2 Mormans?

I was suprised to hear he didn't know when his family left Cuba.
Rubio calls himself a Catholic, i've heard folks doubt that, never heard he was a Mormon. I'd vote for a voo-doo practicioner if they believed in fiscal responsibility, strong national defense, and that all life is sacred..

I'm guessing Rubio embellished his family history for dramatic effect. It didn't hurt Hilary when she lied about snipers shooting at her, so why should it hurt Rubio if he got a date wrong?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Rubio calls himself a Catholic, i've heard folks doubt that, never heard he was a Mormon. I'd vote for a voo-doo practicioner if they believed in fiscal responsibility, strong national defense, and that all life is sacred..

I'm guessing Rubio embellished his family history for dramatic effect. It didn't hurt Hilary when she lied about snipers shooting at her, so why should it hurt Rubio if he got a date wrong?
But when Obama stated he was Christian a huge % of the teabaggers doubted him. To this day the Repub. leaderships says garbage like "if he says he's a Christian I have no reason to not believe him"
Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
But when Obama stated he was Christian a huge % of the teabaggers doubted him.
His middle name is Hussein.

-spence
Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
His middle name is Hussein.

-spence
hold on now, may be a little more than that....
Given that Rev wrights comments from O's church pulpit where of a radical madman spewing anti-american, anti-white filth and sounding VERY un-christian-like may have had a tiny impact on the public's perception of O's religion, dont ya think?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
But when Obama stated he was Christian a huge % of the teabaggers doubted him. To this day the Repub. leaderships says garbage like "if he says he's a Christian I have no reason to not believe him"
Paul, there is a huge difference, unless I am missing something...

Rubio claims to be Catholic. I have no direct knowledge of anything Rubio has done to refute his claim.

Obama claims to be Christian. I do, however, have tons of evidence to refute his claim, and here it is. For 20 years, Obama listened to Rev Wright preach NOT Christianity, but something called Black Liberation Theology. Where Christianity is based on love and charity, BLT is based on hate, lies, and racism (for example, suggesting that the US Govt invented AIDS to eradicate blacks). Obama sat in Wright's church for 20 years, Obama called Wright his spiritual advisor, Wright married the Obamas and baptized both of Obama's girls. That's a very close, intimate relationship. Obama stuck by Wright until it was politically necessary to throw him under the bus. All facts.

Obama can claim to be Christian. I can claim to look like Brad Pitt, but alas, my claiming such does not make it so.

If there is compelling evidence that Rubio isn't Catholic, I'm willing to listen...

Spence, of course, suggests that conservatives doubt Obama's Christianity because his middle name is Hussein. As usual, Spence ignores the facts that make Obama look awful, and instead he demonizes the opposition by calling us bigots. I don't care what Obama's middle name is. If Obama's spiritual advisor, for his entire adult life, was a guy who peddles in hate, don't tell me you're a Christian unless you completely renounce everything you heard for the last 20 years, and Obama hasn't done that.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-28-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
zimmy

Quote:
Obama sat in Wright's church for 20 years, Obama called Wright his spiritual advisor, Wright married the Obamas and baptized both of Obama's girls.
must be Muslim.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Spence, of course, suggests that conservatives doubt Obama's Christianity because his middle name is Hussein. As usual, Spence ignores the facts that make Obama look awful, and instead he demonizes the opposition by calling us bigots. I don't care what Obama's middle name is. If Obama's spiritual advisor, for his entire adult life, was a guy who peddles in hate, don't tell me you're a Christian unless you completely renounce everything you heard for the last 20 years, and Obama hasn't done that.
Actually you're wrong again. Obama did very publicly denounce the fringe things that Rev. Wright has said...

I've read much of what Wright has preached and as I've written in previous threads much of the criticism is either lacking context or doesn't get the tenor of some black churches that which can admittedly sound angry at times. I'll tell you this, Rev. Wright can keep your attention. Yes, there are comments like the AIDS claim which is widely believed in black communities.

Obama has denounced this.

He did stand behind Wright as a spiritual adviser as Obama has said he never personally heard the worst inflammatory remarks. I do find it interesting that after 20 years of sermons all his critics could come up with were a handful of gotchya's.

To argue that Wright's church wasn't Christian is absurd and ignorant. It's a fixture of south Chicago and works to help the poor and sick in the name of Jesus Christ.

Really, this is just all part of the effort to frame Obama as an "other"...he's a Muslim, no he wasn't even born here, no he's not even a REAL Christian!

-spence
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
PaulS

WSJ - It turns out that Mr. Rubio was a Mormon from age 8 to 12 when his mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after a move to Las Vegas. The Rubio family returned to the Roman Catholic Church when he was 12, and Mr. Rubio was baptized a Catholic at 13.

Maybe he is a sleeper Morman agent?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
WSJ - It turns out that Mr. Rubio was a Mormon from age 8 to 12 when his mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after a move to Las Vegas. The Rubio family returned to the Roman Catholic Church when he was 12, and Mr. Rubio was baptized a Catholic at 13.

Maybe he is a sleeper Morman agent?
I'm not inclined to hold him "responsible" for the religion bestowed upon him by his parents. In any event, I'll take a Mormon over a disciple of Rev Wright any day of the week.

I don't care what Marco Rubio did when he was 8 through 12, and I dare say most folks don't care either. Ted Kennedy killed someone as an adult and used his family name to dodge guilt, and after that, he was elected to the Senate for 100 consecutive years (using hyperbole here). If that's OK, I'll give Rubio a pass for what church his parents took him to when he was 8 years old.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
PaulS

But evidentially a huge % of the teabaggers thought Obama was a Muslim with no proof b/c his father was a Muslim.

We know Rubio was a Mormon. I don't believe the teabaggers would vote for a slate w/potentially 2 Mormons.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
mosholu
Mosholu

Hi Jim in CT,
I would be a bit careful if I were you in stating that Rubio has a good shot at bringing along the Hispanic vote. His stand on immigration has not gone down well among the non-Cuban segment of the population. I could be wrong but I think the larger Hispanic community feels a great deal of sympathy for immigration reform and his move to a more conservative Republican position is seen by many in that community (especially in the West) as a sell out.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Hi Jim in CT,
I would be a bit careful if I were you in stating that Rubio has a good shot at bringing along the Hispanic vote. His stand on immigration has not gone down well among the non-Cuban segment of the population. I could be wrong but I think the larger Hispanic community feels a great deal of sympathy for immigration reform and his move to a more conservative Republican position is seen by many in that community (especially in the West) as a sell out.
Really, it puts Rubio to the right of Rick Perry!

-spence
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Hi Jim in CT,
If all he brings is the Cuban vote, that alone is a huge coup. But you nailed it, Mexicans (like most other liberals) don't really want to listen to folks who have the nerve to suggestthat we enforce our duly constituted laws. Liberals are more than willing to ignore those laws when it serves to increase their voting base.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
But evidentially a huge % of the teabaggers thought Obama was a Muslim with no proof b/c his father was a Muslim.

We know Rubio was a Mormon. I don't believe the teabaggers would vote for a slate w/potentially 2 Mormons.
Paul, I am an active Tea Partier. Tea bagger is insulting and offensive as you know. That's fine if you want to play that way, just don't expect any better from me.

I am friends with many Tea Partiers, and not a single one of us ever thought Obama was a Muslim. Th ereason you think many Tea Partiers think that, is because the media portrays us that way, because they want to sucker you into thinking we're all a bunch of kooks. Looks like that obvious ploy worked on you. Anyway, I wish he were a Muslim, that would be a lot easier to take that being a black liberation theologian.

No one will hold Rubio responsible for what he did when he was 8.

"a huge % of the teabaggers thought Obama was a Muslim with no proof b/c his father was a Muslim. "

Funny. Since you are calling Rubio a Mormon due to the fact that his parents were Mormon, seems like you are guilty of the same exact insanity that you accuse tea partiers of. Kind of ironic when I put it that way, isn't it?

Tea partiers don't care if those guys are Mormon. We care that those guys, unlike Obama, understand that you can't perpetually spend trillions more than you have, without paying the piper some day. Tea partiers care that those guys understand that wealth is created in the private sector by entrepeneurs, not in public labor unions.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, I am an active Tea Partier. Tea bagger is insulting and offensive as you know. That's fine if you want to play that way, just don't expect any better from me.
Your one of the most offensive persons in this forum. I've pointed it out before.

Call any woman dogs lately?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Muslims don't like dogs, I can't see Jim throwing Obama that bone.

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your one of the most offensive persons in this forum. I've pointed it out before.

I called Maddow a half-beast (I wouldn't call her a dog, that would be an insult to dogs, my favorite animal) after, and only after, she repeatedly referred to Tea Partiers as tea-bagging racists on the air. There is literally zero evidence to back that up (we got Martin Luther King's niece to speak at our largest gathering), but Maddow knows it's a lot easier to call me a racist than it is to show her audience (all 12 of them) that I'm wrong..

I'm the most civil person you will ever meet, at first. I offer that civility until you spit it back in my face, which you have also repeatedly done. Paul, I coach my kids t-ball team, and no one is more dedicated to making sure they have fun. Until he died 2 weeks ago, my golden retriever and I visited hospice patients every Sunday evening for 10 years. I love people, and care deeeply about them, and I bet I give more time and money to charity than most here. However, i will not sit by like a toilet with teh seat up, and let the real hate mongers crap all over me. I always play fair at first. But throw a few cheap elbows at me, and you won't like the outcome.

Spence, I have never, ever, implied Obama is a Muslim. I have said, multiple times, I wish he were. I learned a lot more about Islam when I was in Iraq than you will ever know, and let me tell you, it can be beautiful. I wish Obama were Muslim, because that would be a lot easier for me to accept than his lifelong devotion to Black Liberation Theology, which is based on hate and racism.

Spence, you can keep trying to paint me as an irrational extremist. I'm the most rational person I know, I'm a mathematician at heart, which means the foundation of my thought process is gathering irrefutable fact, and then figuring out the most likely explanation for those facts. That's how I solve every single problem I confront, every single one. Objectively and open-mindedly, with a little bit of Catholic compassion thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

I'm the most civil person you will ever meet, at first. I offer that civility until you spit it back in my face, which you have also repeatedly done. Paul, I coach my kids t-ball team, and no one is more dedicated to making sure they have fun. Until he died 2 weeks ago, my golden retriever and I visited hospice patients every Sunday evening for 10 years. I love people, and care deeeply about them, and I bet I give more time and money to charity than most here. However, i will not sit by like a toilet with teh seat up, and let the real hate mongers crap all over me. I always play fair at first. But throw a few cheap elbows at me, and you won't like the outcome.
Yup, like most of the conservatives I know, when it comes to charity,
walk the walk, not just lip service.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
PaulS

sorry about your dog passing.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
sorry about your dog passing.
A most sincere thanks. His name was Scout, he was great hiking partner, a great fishing partner, and man was he incredible with hospice patients (he was a certified pert therapy dog). I've been a dog-lover since I was a kid, no one has ever seen a dog like him.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I start the best threads.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Or the worst.

It will be better then you become a gun toting texas republican...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
zimmy

Quote:
A couple times I have had to say, "now wait, they are attacking Jimmy now?"

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

chicks are pretty hot in brazil

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
zimmy

Quote:
chicks are pretty hot in brazil
Wise man once told me prior to a trip to Rio De janeiro, "taking your wife to Rio is like bringing a grain of sand with you to the beach."

Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
spence

Here's an interesting perspective, I'll bet the guy even owns a few pairs of skin boots...

Obama deserves credit for strong growth in energy industry - Houston Chronicle

-spence
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Here's an interesting perspective, I'll bet the guy even owns a few pairs of skin boots...

Obama deserves credit for strong growth in energy industry - Houston Chronicle

-spence
Thanks Spence. The author of that piece is the director of somehting called the "Clean Energy Incubator", and he wrote a piece telling us how awesome Obama is.

Spence finds it an "interesting" perspective that a guy who is devoted to greem energy, praises Obama. Yes, Spence, you've really given us all something to think about.

This guy mentions "post partisan" approaach to energy. Yes, indeed. In trying to appeal to both sides, Obama rejected the Canadian pipeline (which conservatives wanted) and he gave $500 million to Solybdra, a privately held solar company. Yes, it's quite difficult to label Obama as either a conservative or liberal on this issue, he's REALLY straddling the fence, isn't he.

Funny, the author didn't bother to include any opinions from Gulf oil workers who lost their jobs when Obama shut down additional drilling in the Gulf. I cannot imagine why this was left out, Spence, can you offer any insight as to why?

When gas hits $5 a gallon this summer, and republicans show video of Obama claiming that high oil prices would actually be good for America (he has said that), let's see what happens!

You are precious Spence...simply precious...