Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Cannot fail to be good for the American worker. I know, the current POTUS is a Republican, and also a jerk, so we aren't supposed to say anything good about him...
It doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth. Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive. All these stats have pretty much been in a straight line since the recession.

Big items to watch will be the tax cut burn out as the bump fades, healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year which will offset pay or tax benefits for most people and this idiotic trade war talk that has the potential to trigger a global recession.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Big items to watch will be the tax cut burn out as the bump fades, healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year which will offset pay or tax benefits for most people and this idiotic trade war talk that has the potential to trigger a global recession.
keep hoping...
Old 06-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
keep hoping...
A boat would be more appropriate for you to troll from

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
It doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth. Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive. All these stats have pretty much been in a straight line since the recession.
How about if wages don't "grow" but there are more jobs available to employ those who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
How about if wages don't "grow" but there are more jobs available to employ those who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity?
Well, we're technically at full employment already. Low unemployment is great but there are a lot of measures to the health of the economy.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

"It (low unemployment) doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth."

First, I'd bet my life in exchange for a quarter, that's not what you said when unemployment dropped when your hero was president. Second, I would contend it means a lot when someone who was looking for a job, accepts a job. Might not be their dream job, but it's better than no job, unless (like you, apparently) you don't see inherent dignity and value in a day's pay in return for a day's work.

"Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive."

Those 17 years include two terms under Obama, who couldn't manage to pull it off.

"healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year "

As opposed to the way they dropped under Obama.

liberal=good, conservative=bad, we all get it.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
"It (low unemployment) doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth."

First, I'd bet my life in exchange for a quarter, that's not what you said when unemployment dropped when your hero was president. Second, I would contend it means a lot when someone who was looking for a job, accepts a job. Might not be their dream job, but it's better than no job, unless (like you, apparently) you don't see inherent dignity and value in a day's pay in return for a day's work.
You're adding words to my statement to change its meaning. That's not very nice.

Quote:
Those 17 years include two terms under Obama, who couldn't manage to pull it off.
Ummm, Obama inherited one of the worst recessions in US history. As for "pulling it #^&#^&#^&#^& it's kind of a novelty statistic.

Quote:
As opposed to the way they dropped under Obama.
The ACA absolutely had a significant impact on slowing the rise of health care costs exactly as it was designed to do. Trump has effectively and intentionally broken the system and the markets are poised to respond against the consumer.

This is going to be a huge issue in the mid-terms.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:

you are almost always wrong...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
All the people saying that, are the same ones predicting that Hilary was going to win in a rout.

We'll see how it plays out. There's an old political expression that goes, "it's about the economy, stupid". Trump wins on the economy. The GOP has the democrats on record saying they will work to repeal the GOP tax cuts. Let's see how receptive Americans are to having their paychecks cut.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
All the people saying that, are the same ones predicting that Hilary was going to win in a rout.
Actually I think I was reading about Republicans lamenting the self inflicted wound.

Quote:
We'll see how it plays out. There's an old political expression that goes, "it's about the economy, stupid". Trump wins on the economy. The GOP has the democrats on record saying they will work to repeal the GOP tax cuts. Let's see how receptive Americans are to having their paychecks cut.
You can repeal the tax cuts without impacting hard working Americans.

As for other news.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-th...arm-1528714800
Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

liberal=good, conservative=bad, we all get it.
Just remember, There's a special place in Hell, if you don't lie down and take it from Trump.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Just remember, There's a special place in Hell, if you don't lie down and take it from Trump.
Just remember, we're seeing "conservatism" at its finest.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I'm highly critical of his character. But when he enacts great public policy, I give him credit. The economy is roaring, at a time when many economists feel we are past due for a recession.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
I'm highly critical of his character. But when he enacts great public policy, I give him credit. The economy is roaring, at a time when many economists feel we are past due for a recession.
If you were highly critical of his character you'd be razing the forum with hyped up posts like you did with Clinton and Obama.

As for his policy leading to a roaring economy I'm not sure where you gather that from. A key reason the economy is doing as well as it is though is the global economy has been performing very strong and lifting us with it. He inherited the positive unemployment, the tax cuts have given us a short-term jolt that is expected to start fading next year but there's not been much movement on wages as well as savings which is very weak. GDP hasn't come close to Trump predictions and is expected to fall to 2% next year.

Goosing an economy at full employment doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's just political payback. Starting trade wars with our allies where we don't even really have trade deficits doesn't make sense either. Remember all the tough talk on China? Trump tried to be a bully and got bitch slapped. Instead we're going to battle with Canada over cheese, our second biggest trading partner and a country who has stood by our side like a blood brother.

It's embarrassing.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
If you were highly critical of his character you'd be razing the forum with hyped up posts like you did with Clinton and Obama.

As for his policy leading to a roaring economy I'm not sure where you gather that from. A key reason the economy is doing as well as it is though is the global economy has been performing very strong and lifting us with it. He inherited the positive unemployment, the tax cuts have given us a short-term jolt that is expected to start fading next year but there's not been much movement on wages as well as savings which is very weak. GDP hasn't come close to Trump predictions and is expected to fall to 2% next year.

Goosing an economy at full employment doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's just political payback. Starting trade wars with our allies where we don't even really have trade deficits doesn't make sense either. Remember all the tough talk on China? Trump tried to be a bully and got bitch slapped. Instead we're going to battle with Canada over cheese, our second biggest trading partner and a country who has stood by our side like a blood brother.

It's embarrassing.
"If you were highly critical of his character you'd be razing the forum with hyped up posts like you did with Clinton and Obama. "

I have called him a morally bankrupt reptile, and a scumbag, as many times as I criticized Obama. There is no "if".

"As for his policy leading to a roaring economy I'm not sure where you gather that from"

Low unemployment? Record low unemployment for blacks? Stock market soaring? These are the same statistics that got better under Obama, and I never heard you deny that Obama improved the economy.

"there's not been much movement on wages "

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-wag...120000493.html

2.9% year over year? That's more of a raise than I got. Not as good as being in a union for sure, but not bad. You're right, wages need to increase more. If the demand for labor now exceeds the supply for the first time ever recorded ("ever" only being 17 years), why wouldn't that help increase wages? Familiar with supply and demand, and their effect on price?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
zimmy

Quote:

It's embarrassing.
You forgot to mention the federal debt

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Perfect example of the hypocrisy on both sides.

Obama added more to the debt than anyone before. Conservatives said it was terrible, liberals were not concerned.

Trump is now adding to the debt, and the roles are reversed. Conservatives say it's nothing to worry about, liberals now worry about deficits.

Here's the difference...Trump is putting money in the pockets of huge numbers of Americans. Obama never came close to doing that.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"You're going to win so much, you're going to get tired of winning. Believe me." -candidate Donald Trump
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Don't worry about the future, we are winning today.
Believe me, I told you so
If you deny it you must be from Fake news, one of those failing news organizations, Not state news, oh i meant Faux, Fox, or the deep state, or secretly a democrat, or short or a lying, cheating adjective repeated endlessly until it is true.
Anyways it's all Obama's fault and you'll have to ask him about that, or maybe George Washington.
REPORTER: Mr. President, David Herszenhorn with Politico Europe. Just to come back to Russia for a second. Something that happened that got them kicked out of the G8 was the invasion and annexation of Crimea. Do you think that Crimea should be recognized as Russian (inaudible)?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, you know, you have to ask President Obama, because he was the one that let Crimea get away. That was during his administration. And he was the one that let Russia go and spend a lot of money on Crimea, because they’ve spent a lot of money on rebuilding it. I guess they have their submarine port there and such. But Crimea was let go during the Obama administration. And, you know, Obama can say all he wants, but he allowed Russia to take Crimea. I may have had a much different attitude. So you’d really have to ask that question to President Obama — you know, why did he do that; why did he do that. But with that being said, it’s been done a long time.

Lets Go Darwin