Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I saw some...actually... a lot ....of very violent attacks on police and military members the summer prior and they didn't fire any bullets

this was an unarmed woman, and maybe she was mentally unstable, but I thought that was a reason not to shoot someone, particularly if they are unarmed

I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing....
I just find it interesting how you are backing away, or quantifying
a statement made by Jim, that I took issue with...
She put herself in the line of fire. How many thousands of miles did she travel from her home? Her right to peaceful protest ended when she, as a member of the group, proceeded past police barriers, up the step, and breached the Capitol. She put herself there. What is so amazing about my response??? She asked for it.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

I just find it interesting how you are backing away,

She asked for it.
from what?

"I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing...."

I wouldn't say she asked for it, she certainly put herself in harms way...she was the only one shot that day...no question as to why only one officer fired a bullet that day despite all of the violence apparently going on particularly as you've said you'd have just opened fire?

you also dragged out the story about a car incident as if that's relevant? Ted Kennedy had a little car incident and still ran for president afterward
Old 01-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The officer did not have the benefit of her past history when he had to make his decision to pull the trigger.

I did have Ted's past history when I chose not to vote for him.

Connecting those two is a stretch... Only common denominator I can see is that we have the benefit of 20/20 vision when looking at their personal histories... and that both are dead.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
The officer did not have the benefit of her past history when he had to make his decision to pull the trigger.

I did have Ted's past history when I chose not to vote for him.

Connecting those two is a stretch... Only common denominator I can see is that we have the benefit of 20/20 vision when looking at their personal histories... and that both are dead.
What imminent lethal threat did she pose at the moment she was shot, that could possibly justify deadly force?

Those morons deserved to be punished, the same way all rioters/trespassers are punished. No more, no less.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

What imminent lethal threat did she pose at the moment she was shot, that could possibly justify deadly force?
weren't we told repeatedly afterward(I know I got a letter from the superintendent from my kids school telling be that if this had been blm marching through the capitol the police would have opened fire because they are police and therefore racist)....assuming they would be the same police protecting the capitol we are either supposed to laude them as heroes for restraint and surviving what they endured and not criticize any or one of them for firing a bullet and killing someone who "deserved it"....... or label them would-be racist killers who would have surely opened fire if they saw different skin color on the rioters...
Old 01-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
weren't we told repeatedly afterward(I know I got a letter from the superintendent from my kids school telling be that if this had been blm marching through the capitol the police would have opened fire because they are police and therefore racist)....assuming they would be the same police protecting the capitol we are either supposed to laude them as heroes for restraint and surviving what they endured and not criticize any or one of them for firing a bullet and killing someone who "deserved it"....... or label them would-be racist killers who would have surely opened fire if they saw different skin color on the rioters...
DON'T play the reverse race card on this.... That is low. The whole issue is low enough given its political nature of cause and effect.

DO play the S-B Powerball pool...

Old 01-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:

DON'T play the reverse race card on this.... That is low.

DO play the S-B Powerball pool...
that's what was said, almost immediately...I didn't say it....
Old 01-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:

this is correct...you brought it up for some reason