Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
ReelinRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
58 people dead and 546 injured. in Vegas

White House officials insisted it was “premature” to discuss politics and dismissed calls to re-evaluate gun legislation.

how sad
Sad is the thought that you, I presume an American, can put on the same plane of equivalency, questioning the entry of non-citizens with zero claim to be here, with restricting the rights of US citizens with knee-jerk laws that everyone agrees would not have stopped that or damn near any shooting.

In a few short weeks the gun control fire in the belly of the Democrats in Congress has already died. Do you really want to have the conversation or are you just virtue signalling?

If you really want to discuss gun legislation please, go ahead and start a thread and set out specifically what gun laws you want to see enacted and what you expect from each law.

I know you are not at all interested in having the conversation.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
with restricting the rights of US citizens with knee-jerk laws that everyone agrees would not have stopped that or damn near any shooting.

I know you are not at all interested in having the conversation.
I'll have it.

I know of no law that would have completely prevented the Vegas shooting. But if bump stocks were illegal, the body count might well have been a lot lower. He shot 600 people. One of the first cops on the scene was a combat vet, and he radioed in that it sounded like a belt fed machine gun.

Just because you can't guarantee a body count of zero, doesn't mean you don't try to do what you can.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
But if bump stocks were illegal, the body count might well have been a lot lower.
Just because they are illegal, doesn't mean people won't have them.

now that people are aware of the technology....they'll be making them in their garage. Looks like a very simple item to make.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

now that people are aware of the technology....they'll be making them in their garage. Looks like a very simple item to make.
No, it's not a guarantee that no one will ever have them. But it makes it harder, which means it's possible that lives can be saved. It means that some people won't have them, that might have them if they were legal.

When seat belt laws were passed, the critics said "just because it's illegal to not wear a seat belt, doesn't mean that some people won't still choose not to wear them". And they are 100% right...despite the law, some people don't wear seat belts. But some obey the law, and people are alive because of it. Seat belt laws don't reduce auto fatalities to zero, but that doesn't mean they don't have a positive impact.

It's not the same thing, but it's close, don't you think?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:

It's not the same thing, but it's close, don't you think?
ummmm...no....banning something is not close to the same thing as fining someone for not wearing something...it's practically the opposite....do I have to explain further?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ummmm...no....banning something is not close to the same thing as fining someone for not wearing something...it's practically the opposite....do I have to explain further?
Man oh man...

I agree, banning possession isn't the same as forcing you to do something...

But I'll say two things..

(1) those two things are similar in this regard...people who opposed seat belt laws, and people who always oppose gun regulation, often use this kind of an argument..."the law won't guarantee that there will be zero deaths going forward". That is a very, very common argument, and it's completely absurd. No law is perfect. Laws against murder, don't prevent 100% of murders, but it would be asinine to use that as an excuse to do away with anti-murder laws. But if the law does some good, and is constitutional, it may be worth enacting. Saving some lives isn't as good as saving all lives, but it's better than nothing.

(2) we currently ban the possession of all kinds of things...that in and of itself, isn't a totalitarian concept. I don't want George Soros to have a nuke just because he can afford one.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
But I'll say two things..

(1) ...people who opposed seat belt laws, and people who always oppose gun regulation, often use this kind of an argument..."the law won't guarantee that there will be zero deaths going forward". That is a very, very common argument, and it's completely absurd.

I've actually never heard anyone say this....

(2) we currently ban the possession of all kinds of things...that in and of itself, isn't a totalitarian concept. I don't want George Soros to have a nuke just because he can afford one.

have we banned George Soros from owning nukes??
Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
ReelinRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

The problem is that the legislation now being pushed through bans anything that facilitates a more rapid cycle of fire in a semi-automatic. An aftermarket match trigger that has a faster reset than a stock trigger would fall under the law.

Nearly everyone will be in violation of the law; we are going to forced to cut off the belt loops on our pants . . .

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
ReelinRod

Quote:
I'll have it.

Just because you can't guarantee a body count of zero, doesn't mean you don't try to do what you can.
Well, since you have picked a position for me and you and the guy in your mirror have arrived at a conclusion, I don't see any room for me in your "conversation".