Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #61
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I know this will piss off a lot of die hard Rs of the highly religious bend, but if the swinging schwantzes in the R party keep talking about stuff like maybe a rape being a God's Will, then smaller government and fiscal responsibility will never make a difference.
I agree John, that's stupider than the stupid voters, if that's possible.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
I know this will piss off a lot of die hard Rs of the highly religious bend, but if the swinging schwantzes in the R party keep talking about stuff like maybe a rape being a God's Will, then smaller government and fiscal responsibility will never make a difference.

I fear that should we stay on the same path WRT national debt / taxes / employment that it is not inconceivable that we are probably 4 election cycles away from a no #^&#^&#^&#^& civil war or serious state level discussions of secession. When Texas says Eff this what will stop them?
"keep talking about stuff like maybe a rape being a God's Will"

Due respect John, that's not anywhere near what the man said. That's what the media claimed that he said. He specifically said rape was 'horrible'...I agree he shouldn't have said it, because you could predict how the lying liberal media would spin it. But in and of itself, it wasn't an offensive statement.

"even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen"

The 'it' he is referring to is not the rape, it's the spectacular creation of life...
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #63
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The market usually does pretty poorly the day after the election.

Add to that the looming fiscal cliff negotiation that we have to get through and it's going to make people very jittery short-term.

-spence
Quote:
Wish THAT got more airtime in the past year.
It has been there, buried by a biased media, and should have been exploited during the campaign. A lot of smart people dug their heads in the sand on this one. Gonna be hell to pay. Popular vote shows a clearly divided nation. Party system doesn't work. Too much money spent, especially here in Mass Senate race. Don't tell me that Warren doesn't owe a few votes for all that money.... Yes, I am disgusted. Already had two kitchen projects cancelled TODAY. Fiscal cliff effects will explode exponentially over the next four years. Given the first four years, it is clear that newly confirmed administration does not have the skill set to even recognize the impending fiscal disaster, nevermind having the experience and balls to reverse its direction. He got a pretty good review considering it's only his second job..... Good for him that he will never have to work in the private sector and actually have a perfomance review for his job. I'm going to continue hiding in plain sight. When the handouts end and the man comes to collect, I won't be found....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #64
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I'm going to continue hiding in plain sight. When the handouts end and the man comes to collect, I won't be found....
Can I come?
I guess Alex Baldwin won't be moving to New Zeland and will still
be here then.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #65
detbuch

Quote:
I fear that should we stay on the same path WRT national debt / taxes / employment that it is not inconceivable that we are probably 4 election cycles away from a no #^&#^&#^&#^& civil war or serious state level discussions of secession. When Texas says Eff this what will stop them?
The path we stay on is determined by the form of government from which that path is created. Our current system of government is no longer the founding system which would have made it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the Federal Government to spend us into such a massive debt. The founding system did not grant it the power to do so. The far greater power to spend and regulate and decide economic and social matters resided in sovereign states united by compact into a republic, not a democracy. Under the pretense of being purely a democracy, that original system has been, for the most part, discarded, and transformed into one of supreme central power which operates more as a regulator/owner of social and economic matters, and as one state, and one which is not really even a democracy. The massive regulatory bureaucracy which promulgates the bulk of rules and regulations which determine the path we take is not elected. It has plenary power to do as it wishes. This is not a democracy, much less a republic. And that bureaucracy of "experts" are "responsible only to each agency's narrow mission, not to the overall economic health of the nation.

And the massive debt, to a great degree, is required to feed the results created by that bureaucracy. Speeches and promises of cutting or raising taxes, of creating jobs, of stimulating the economy, of providing free birth control, of deciding what marriage is, none of which were originally the purview of central government are side issues that not only make concrete the administrative, undemocratic system, but hide the fact of its existence. A dialogue about a fiscal cliff is useless if its cause is not a part of the discussion. Blather about fiscal responsibility solves nothing. Political tinkering, rather than total government reformation, will not stop the growth of a system that has created more dependants than producers. The health care bill will now be set in stone. The Supreme Court will become even more of an enabler of this system rather than a check against it. The road back to originalism is not a path that will be taken if the people choose not to do so. The present course will continue.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-08-2012 at 12:40 AM..
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #66
scottw

amazing isn't it, this election guaranteed a continued expansion of precisely what is causing the looming disaster that is suddenly a concern and apparently some weren't ever aware of including John, who I consider to be knowledgable and fair minded, and who could repeat a complete mischaracterization of a comment from a quote by a remote politician that apparently taints his entire party but had barely heard of this "fiscal cliff" thingy...

predictably, when decmocrats lose elections is because the electorate was too stupid to have listened to their brilliant message

and of course, when Republicans lose elections we're told it's because of those lunatic radical pro-life religious right who I suppose are far more nauseating than their counterpart radical lunatics in the democrat party

sad when "pro-life" in America is considered a radical and lunatic position

someone really does need to look in the mirror

many of my democrat/liberal friends consider Lincoln Chaffee to be their model Republican so I'll take the suggestion from some of you that they party needs to moderate quite a bit with a grain of salt

Detbuch is right, we are deciding federal elections based on things, issues that the Federal Government has no business being involved in, sadly, the important matters are overlooked, the federal government expands and the dependant class strengthens it grip on the election results through it's enablers and promulgaters in the democrat party, it's all by design and that should concern everyone but is apparenly applauded by about half...

.....the division is very clear, about half of the country is very happy to see a very large and expanded role by the Federal Government into the various aspects of our lives and believe that central planning is the best solution to our problems going forward and have very little attachment to our founding principles, about half believe in the original plan laid out for our government at the state and federal level and believe that adhering to those or reacquainting ourselves with those is the best way to proceed, and then there are those in the middle that can't make up their mind till the week of the election....

we've just enabled and emboldened a President and an administration that has a view of the role and scope of a federal government with no limits and we will get the government that we deserve....

Roosevelt was re-elected while presiding over a depression, he did so by buying the electorate with federal dollars, he however, unlike Obama did not have the massive indebtedness of the programs that he created during that crisis already on the books, Obama will further expand the federal government, continue to set in place national healthcare with resistance from as many as 30 states, probably go back after Cap and Trade, Amnesty, maybe more stimulus to keep the unions and govt. workers employed...back to the drawing board with even more zeal...

Congressional Republicans should step aside and let him have whatever he wants they are going to be pillaried by the mainstream press and democrats on a daily basis for any attempt to oppose him anyway....let him have it all, then we'll see who he blames...I guess there's always the American people
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #67
buckman

The only problem with your last statement is they will then be blamed for not having the back bone to stand up to Obama . Unfortunately the media has an agenda and the republicans, although being right, are on the wrong side oh this agenda .
Talk about flip flipping
Welcome Obama .... The non partisan, fiscally conservative president for all the people .
What a joke
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #68
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think the GOP needs to take a long look in the mirror.

-spence
Time to lose the golf tan and get to work ... I don't fish when I have a job to do ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)