Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-26-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
Bill L

First Tagged Bass for Me

Caught my first tagged bass this morning. The tag was a plastic line (similar to fly line) punched through the tail behind the dorsal fin and tied in a knot. Most of the address was rubbed off, but did a search on the forums here and determined that its an American Littoral Society tag. From the website http://www.littoralsociety.org , looks like you have to mail in the info with the tag, although I think someone said you can phone it in. You'd think they would have an email or web form, but I guess they want to see the tag.

The fish was 31" and otherwise healthy, besides the spot on the tail where the tag was rubbing. The top of the tail was all raw and red, and the tag hole looked pretty raw too. Fish is probably releived to be rid of it, looked like a nasty sore. From the posts I found on the search, it looks like this is common for this type of tag.
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Clammer

Yea Toonic thats the way the one I got last fall was /all sore around rhe tag
FWW =caught one last week that was tagged on the bottom , no sore ,no nothing =real clean , he threw it back with the tag =but it looked like it could have been dart inserted/////

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
Nebe

I caught one off narragansett beach this July and didn't know what a tag looked like so I pulled it out and threw the thing away I was baffled as to what the thing was. it was all seaweedy and dirty so I didn't think it could have been a tag. My thoughts were that it swallowed a wire leader or something and it just poked through its stomach... (That particular fish had the tag just behind it's vent.)

I think you'll get a pin or a hat if you report your findings.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Clammer

A small patch =====& a letter telling you when & where it was tagged/

////
also if you get a tagged fish & do a quick guess on size & weight & jot down the tag number & send it in =you,ll get the info & the fish will still be tagged///////

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 10-26-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

My Dad tagged alot of fish for the Littoral society. He had a bunch of returned fish. Its pretty cool to see where they migrated to. I think his returns were in NJ or Maryland after being tagged in RI.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #6
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

I've caught a couple of tagged fish in the canal, one was about 27 pounds. Came from some river in Virginia.
striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Bill L

Clammer, I'm glad I removed the tag, it was a pretty nasty sore on the fish. It had so much growth on it anyways, I had to scrape it to read the numbers, and I was in a tough spot to be fiddling with a fish.

On a side note, when I searched the forums for tag info, I came across the original "boat vs. shore" thread with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and GS, it was a classic!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Reminds me that I still have to send in a tag from two months ago I think. A yellow ALS tag too. Yep, twas a nasty sore on her backside too. Figured she'd done her job and released her to heal up. 31" fish, but when I thought about the sore, i wouldn't have wanted to eat it.

Tag reads Return Littoral Soc Highlands NJ 07732

Tag #600622

Last edited by nightfighter; 10-26-2003 at 05:36 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
Bill L

Nightfighter, if you go to the website I linked above, they have a form you can print out to mail in with the tag. There's also a phone number, I think you can call in the info
Old 10-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks T, I went through the site when I caught/cut it, even printed the form, but haven't followed through, yet. Maybe tonight. I'm interested in seeing where/when tagged info.

What was your tag number, if you still have it?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:50 PM   #11
Bill L

It was 546269, fish was also 31". Sound like we'll get a patch, a hat would have been nice I think the best part will be getting the info on when the fish was tagged etc.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:56 PM   #12
Clammer

I caught a tag Tautog===got back the info & a real nice /top quality hat ====================lost it over the side

Caught a ton ==on tagged winter flounder===just get the info back=================

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 10-26-2003, 05:57 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I think the S-B.com bluejean shirts would be a good place to put the patch just busting ya JohnR. The patch isn't exactly a piece of art.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:50 PM   #14
denis

Yep never liked the way ALS tags there fish most of the time the area is raw and nasty looking but it is hard to miss.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Too funny.

Just got my mail from Littoral Society with info on my tagged fish. It had been tagged 5 weeks earlier about two miles from where I recaught it!!!!!!! And the patch is a joke too.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #16
IslandAngler

I just started tagging my fish this week through the ALS. I tagged about 12 bass this week. a good buddy of mine turned me onto tagging, he has been tagging throung the ALS for awhile now.

Shut up and Fish
IslandAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:29 PM   #17
Fisherwoman

Send a message via ICQ to Fisherwoman
Its funny, I sent in a tag last year and never heard back from them Could have been that on the info card I kind of told them that they should try and find a new way to tag the fish as the ones they use really put a nasty hole and sore on the fish? Maybe I just pissed them off or something, but I never heard back any info on the fish.

fisherwomen & baitcaster
Fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #18
Bill L

Fisherwoman, I just got the tag info in the mail today, with a patch. Too bad the patch is a cartoon goldfish and not a striper

Here is the info:

Tagged 8/5/01
Winthrop MA
Length 29"

Caught 10/26/03
Narragansett RI
Length 31"

Doesn't look like the fish grew much in two years, unless I measured wrong (scaled it on rod until I got back to my car)
Old 11-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #19
Bill L

Nasty Hole

Fisherwoman, I also wrote on the card and suggested they improve their tagging methods
Old 11-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by toonoc

Caught 10/26/03
Narragansett RI
Length 31"

And you caught it while slumming too!
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote