Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Gag's Grabbers....

...Was SOLD according to the new issue of On The Water and now Al is starting Gag's International,which will sell pencil poppers, needles and other items,didn't say if they are made from wood or not.Guess I should stock up on Mambo's, anyone who knows me knows they are my "go to" plastic lure, only thing I do is change the rings and hooks on 'em (VMC's).We'll have to wait and see what, if any , changes he new owners make.Just thought i'd throw this out there , I know a lot of guys who swear by the Mambo's. johnny "the Ratt Boy"
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I heard Al took the GS Slammer with him to his new enterprise.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
scarecrow

Send a message via AIM to scarecrow
Yeah

all his lures except the GS slammer were sold to a different company. He has now started Gags International which is his new company.

Let me just tell you this guys, I saw one of his new lures and I cant say much else, but unlike the mambos which I think SUCKED, these lures will be hot when they come out.

He has redisgned the GS Slammer and It now swims the right way and it is a little heavier. He also has made some new colors.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Gimme wood anyday, and twice on Sunday!

Old 02-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
TheRattBoy

Larry, I hear ya on wood buddy but there are times when plastic gets it done.Recently got to hear a "well known" Cape fishermen speak, this guy has an INCREDIBLE wood collection but even he was praising his Yozuri's, like I said every lure has it's time.
Scarecrow, you can mail me any Mambo's you don't need johnny "the Ratt Boy"
Old 02-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #6
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

pi.... go to stamina tackle. you can buy the bodies that Al sold as his own plug for about $2 each. just have to put your own hooks on it. he sold the company to his cousin i think. either way, mambos suck! just figured i would save you some $$.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
Slingah

Hey I like wood just as much as the nexy guy, but how can you say mambo's s*ck I crush with em'

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I know Johnny the Ratt Boy.....you talkin' bout the Flaptail, and you are right, plastics have their place, I always prefer wood but hey.....I throw Gags mambo minnows just like the next guy.....they slay!!!! Am I right Slingah???

What kind of fisherman would I be if I didn't have at least "some" plastic in my surf bag???

Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #9
Goose

Angry

I like the small ones but why did this brandy new 7" body split on a 15" schoolie If it wasn't first cast it was the second. Where my refund AL.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
rizzo

For Al's new company Gags International hes got a new plug called the Squid-Z. Its gonna be plastic, weigh around 3 ounces, and 4-5 inches in length. Its gonna be weighted heavily in the tail for long casts, and its claim to fame is to move backwards through the water like a flying lure when you give it slack in between twitches.

I bought one of his "new and improved" GS slammers and have yet to try it. None of the gags line is of very high quality and there are better plastic swimmers to use instead of the mambo.
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
TheRattBoy

Goose, You bring that to him at a show and he will replace it.
Rizzo, I make some small poppers heavy in the tail, long casts and you do get that flying lure action, works well.
johnny "the Ratt Boy"
Old 03-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #12
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

just buy bombers and faggetaboutit

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:38 AM   #13
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Guys,

Al is giving instructions on how to adjust the old GS Slammers so you get the same action as the new ones...which by the way, cast and swim SCHWEEEETTT

SHHHHHHH....one vendor at the MSBA Show will be selling them for $10 each...the same amount Al will be selling them at the March MSBA meeting....

Also at the March MSBA meeting Al will raffle off 1 set of all three sizes of his ORIGINAL old needlefish in a shadow box signed.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #14
Nebe

basic patrick, I beg to differ on the slammer's casting well..... they cast like poop
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #15
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
basic patrick, I beg to differ on the slammer's casting well..... they cast like poop
correction, they cast like wet poop!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #16
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Eben & Tlap...I would agree with the originals, but with the new weight configuration the casting is much much better. I still think the side arm is the best way to throw the GS. I do not have a problem throwing the new ones at all.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote