Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-02-2000, 11:18 AM   #1
John P

Sunday Morning Canal

Went to pole 10 at Scusset at about 3:00 am - as soon as we got there we saw a guy in waders close to the next pole - watched him get a couple of fish - one a keeper! Set up shop near pole 10 used poppers, bucktails etc and had some macarel.. NOTHING! By 5:30 am there was at least 30 more fishing around us - all using poppers - one fish npot a keeper...Went over to the other side at the Power station = was told in front of the rest room they got keepersw on floating mackeral on the incoming tide... I'm very new at this as you can tell and I need all the help you PROS can give me.. Had my three sons (21, 18, & 11) with me - we did have a ball!
Old 07-03-2000, 05:54 PM   #2
Canalratt1

RE:Sunday Morning Canal

John the tide flow usually dictates where to fish on the canal. Usually on west tides the west end is better and vice versa but its not always the case. Hot weather nite fishing and day break are the best times. Plugging can be slow this time of year. I usually fish with ells at nite in the backwashes then switch to cut bait at daylight. Try to find some backwashes or slack areas then chum with small pieces of macs or pogy. Use a 1/2 oz rubber core sinker or no weight if the tide isn't ripping making short casts letting it settle close to shore. Some days you can see the bass. The slack water is good fishing with 5 oz weights and fishfinder rigs but i like the smaller weights. Let me know how you do I may give it a try in the next few weeks.
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2000, 05:54 PM   #3
Canalratt1

RE:Sunday Morning Canal

John the tide flow usually dictates where to fish on the canal. Usually on west tides the west end is better and vice versa but its not always the case. Hot weather nite fishing and day break are the best times. Plugging can be slow this time of year. I usually fish with ells at nite in the backwashes then switch to cut bait at daylight. Try to find some backwashes or slack areas then chum with small pieces of macs or pogy. Use a 1/2 oz rubber core sinker or no weight if the tide isn't ripping making short casts letting it settle close to shore. Some days you can see the bass. The slack water is good fishing with 5 oz weights and fishfinder rigs but i like the smaller weights. Let me know how you do I may give it a try in the next few weeks.
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote