Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-11-2000, 01:34 PM   #1
striperman

Breakaway fishing rods

I was wondering if anyone on this board knows if All-star makes a breakaway rod in the 7-8 foot range. I own a number of breakaway rods but they are in the 10-11 foot range and was looking for something to use for casting light plugs with light lines. ASny info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Derek
Old 07-11-2000, 02:45 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

RE:Breakaway fishing rods

I have the All Star rod blanks catalog and I don't recall seeing one. Check with Mike@capecodtackle.com, He carries the Factory Breakaways as well as many of the blanks. He can build you a custom "traditional style" rod with all of the bells and whistles of the breakaways... As several people that frequent this board know, his quality is excellent and his prices are about the best all around.... I am waiting for him to get the 9' blanks in myself...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 03:00 PM   #3
striperman

Thanks for the info John. What is that 9 foot blank rated for(ounces). I may give Mike at Cape Cod Tackle a try but it will be hard to get away from Hatteras Jacks, which is who I get my rods made by know. Thanks again and tight lines, Derek
Old 07-11-2000, 03:45 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Derek, that All Star 1088 blank is rated 1-3. may be a bit heavier than what you're looking for... If you get a chance, swing by and meet Mike some day you are down by the Cape, you won't be disappointed. Matter of fact, I think he's building one for Saltheart right now....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 08:10 AM   #5
Saltheart

Mike T is building me a 1265/2. Its a 10.5 foot 2 piece rod for lighter stuff in open spaces (It will be used almost exclusively off the beach). I was going to have the butt section cut to shorten it down but since its a beach rod , the length will come in handy. I'm getting it specifically to throw bombers at 3/4 to 7/8 OZ. I love a black or Pearl bomber with a teaser but that whole package is surprisingly light. I had a hard time deciding between the 1265/2 and the 1145. The 1265 is however noticeably lighter at the tip. It's performance peaks out at about 2 OZ so in addition to throwing light swimmers at stripers , I will be using it to throw 2 OZ Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s and Needle eels at the Bonito when they are closer in. I have several rods that will throw 2 OZ but none that will throw less than 1 except my schoolie rod. Fishpart has a 1265/2 which he uses for his all around rod. Its beautifull. It will be the lightest rod I have rigged conventional. Only thing lighter that I have is my 9 foot Lami steelhead rod which is rigged spinner for schoolies. Mike T wraps my rods with much shorter than normal guide wraps above the first gathering guide (gathering guide wrap is fancy and long but in that section of the blank it doesn't effect the action). This rod will really benefit from the shorter wraps near the tip. I'll be putting a Mag Elite on it or my Morrum if I ever get new bearings for it. Mike T at capecodtackle.com does top quality work and I've never seen a custom rod on a high quality blank for a lower price. Since its a 2 piece rod , you can get it shipped almost anywhere pretty cheaply.
For the guys down south who want to see and feel one , I'd call Tres at Hatteras Outfitters. Hatteras jack also makes them but for a small price premium , the rods from Tres are noticeably nicer (my opinion of course).
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote