Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-21-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

That new 28' scout with diesel looks sweet

I know 179 is a scout fan and I just read an article that highlighted the new deisel 28'er that has to have him . ..with gas at the dock probably to hit 3 bucks a gal this summer....a range of 7.6 gal/hr @ 30 mph is sure to be attractive to many.

I am not an I/O fan but they seemed to rig this one a little different and are headed in the right direction.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 05-21-2004 at 07:40 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
quick decision

article

Was the article on line? If so could you post the web site. Thanks-

thats why they call it fishing not catching
quick decision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
fishsmith
DDG-51

Osprey uses volvo's i/o diesel, if the oil prices stay where they are, and the motors are not too problematic I forsee more boat dealers having a diesel option. It would be interesting to see how long it takes the upfront money for the diesel motor to payoff.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
quick decision

not to hijack but...

I always looked at the the advatage of a disiel was the hours you could put on it. Instead of rebuildinig after 1000 hours you could tripple that. Better gas milage is always a plus as well. They just run cooler and at lower rpms. They are pricey though.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #5
Mr. Sandman

The article was in SWS..I had a typo 7.67 gal/hr @ 30mph...3.9 mpg range 540 miles.

IMO with the high price of big 4 strokes (and their short life span) vs the lowing costs of the new lighter weight deisels (ie yanmar's) (and thier longer life span), there is NO question that they are cheaper. A new yanmar diesel is about 35K for something in the 350-440 hp range. What do you think twin 225 4 stokes go for? If you walk away @ 35K you should be a happy man.

I am not a I/O fan but I would like to see more pump jets made. They have a higher eff at cruise and high speeds and a lower eff at speeds below cruise. For me that is ideal, I want to troll at a creep and fly @ cruise.

No matter I think the entire scout line has really improved the last few years and this is a step in the right direction.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #6

I love everything about this boat except the price tag, well over 100K. Way out of my budget, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boatshow1.jpg (16.4 KB, 200 views)
179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
ScottM

I'm not a big I/O fan either, but this boat seems to be set up pretty nice. The engine is outside the cockpit, so no lost room, plus the efficiency of that diesel and you've got one schweet package.
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
fishsmith
DDG-51

When my dad looked for his first boat, he asked a mechanic "what do you prefer an outboard or an inboard outboard"
The mechanics reply:
I have a 3x as many I/O's to fix.

That's always stuck with me.

If cost was not a factor and I was staying under 30ft I would go with a straight inboard deisel Shamrock/Albin style boat.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
quick decision

jackshaft

Have you guys seen the new jack shaft outdrives. It has the engine centered on the boat like an inboard, with a jack shaft going to the i/o. Albermale uses this technology. Looks cool.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
ScottM

Quick Decision,
Actually the jackshaft is not new. Both SeaCraft and Albemarle started using this setup back in the mid/late 70's. As I/O's go, I like this setup because you remove the engine box from the back of the boat and put the weight in the center down low for better stability. You get straight IB stability without the fixed running gear hanging below. Seems like a good idea, not sure why it didn't catch on better.
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #11
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
sweeeet

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #12
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
I have been outboard and then to I/o, And as most here no I have converted my I/O with a bracket and a Yamaha outboard!! Never going to give I/O another look!!
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 AM   #13
MTC
Take a Kid Fishing

How aabout a used 22' Welcraft Walkaround with 200 - 2002 with trailer? Loaded... $31k

AMAMC.COM
MTC is offline   Reply With Quote