Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Conservation Issues and Notices

Conservation Issues and Notices A new location to post Conservation Issues and Notices in place or or in addition to discussions on the Main Stripertalk Forum

Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
CpCdtrucker

Send a message via AIM to CpCdtrucker Send a message via Yahoo to CpCdtrucker
Time to make stripers a game fish

I watched a commercial guy unload at the canal tonite. He had his limit but every fish was just over the size limit. I saw this happen with Cod in the early 90's. We killed them one year but they were all just over the limit. The next year we couldn't find a fish. If they keep wiping out the breeding size year class fish we will be back to nothing again. They should also drop to one fish a day for recreational fisherman. Maine has the strangest size limits I have ever seen. 20" to 26" is a kepper then anything over that has to be realeased until you get to 36" then you can keep it. They a taking fish before they can get to breeding size.
CpCdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Hey....pack up yer wagon and move it along!!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

go to www.stripersforever.com and sign up

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFish
Hey....pack up yer wagon and move it along!!!!!
Its a good idea bigfish. If there was more fish around you wouldnt get skunked so much
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
Just signed that stuff...

MAKE STRIPERS GAMEFISH ONLY!

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by jugstah
Just signed that stuff...

MAKE STRIPERS GAMEFISH ONLY!
me too!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:14 AM   #7
B-assman

Personally - I agree that SB should be protected.

I don't want to take food off anyone's table but it seems to me that the way the fishery is managed is not achieving the objective. One very interesting proposal was detailed in a report on NPR last week -

Link to NPR Story

Basically these marine scientists advocate managing the fisheries as a system - taking into account the interaction of the of the components of the ecosystem. So rather than having separate managers determining quotas for their species in a vacuum - using computer modeling / predictive technology - the interplay of various activities can be predicted. e.g. If the menhaden catch goes up - the effect on the SB population would be modeled by the program. On the surface, it seems to make sense..... It'll be interesting to see if this method is adopted.
B-assman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #8
MakoMike

B-assman,
The only problem with that is that the sceintists have very little idea, if any, of what all those thousands of interactions are.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
B-assman

Agreed - There is no way to perfectly model all the interactions - but an imperfect model that attempts to account for SOME of the major interactions between the variables is better than the current method.

The beauty of these systems is that they "learn" over time. At the beginning the factors governing the interactions are best guesses. Someone has to plug in a number for each variables impact on the other variables. Over time - as data are collected and results measured - the factors get refined and the model improves.

Can anyone really argue that pegging a number for the total catch of a species - without taking int account the effects on other species is really the best way to go??
Old 07-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #10
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Re: Time to make stripers a game fish

Quote:
Originally posted by CpCdtrucker
20" to 26" is a kepper then anything over that has to be realeased until you get to 36" then you can keep it. They a taking fish before they can get to breeding size.
by keeping small fish, you have a 50/50 chance of keeping a male. but, taking the larger fish, you are most likely taking a female as the further over 20#'s you get the less chance it is a male. if i remember correctly from my fisheries classes in college, population growth is regulated by the # of females in the population. it is actually better in the long run to take from the pool of small fish. if you really want to protect the species for the future, advocate a slot limit of only small fish allowed to be kept. no trophy level could be allowed. (before anyone jumps on me, i am not suggesting this) we are about as likely to see this happen as we are likely to never have the commercial/recreational debate on the site again.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Well I am one of them commercial guys that get his 30 or close to fish a day, and sometimes that is what you get, just leagle.

What is wrong with me getting 30, 34" fish and sell them to pay my bills and feed my family??

Don't you think it is better then watching the (Some not all) Recreational fisherman go out there with there light tackle and catch small and large alike bass and exhaust them to near death!!
Then stand there for 5 min taking pictures, then tossing the thing over board like a bag of trash!
What are the chances that fish will live?? 0%!!
Or all the gut hooked fish they rip the guts out of to save a .15 hook!! Will that fish live?? Nope not a chance!!
Last I new there are a whole lot more weekend worriers out there then the comm. guys and you X that buy the fish they kill and there are alot more fish wasted then there is caught and sold at market!!
The fish that is sold at market feeds my family and the familys of people that other wise would never get to eat a fish!

There is no perfect solution to the fishery!! But a Harvest keeps the stock healthy.

Try to go back 15 years ago and see how many fish were being caught!! The striped bass is healthy and strong!!

Throw your rod away!! Cause you have never killed or wasted a fish!! You think all fish that are released live?? Nope and I am sure your that you release don't all live eaither!!

Go join PETA while you are signing up for things!!
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

You comm fisherman are worse then the Envirnonmental Whacko's on the other side!

Look at some of those statements.

Fear not CpCd...their days are numbered. SB will get protection from being exploited.

The problem is huge and is not the comm fishermans fault...they are just exploiting the systerm for their own personal gain. For some reason just cause they can they think they should.... It kind of shows you who has morals about the SB fishery.

FACT: This fishery has serious *management* problems (dispite numbers of fish our there) and the facts are that most species that have managed by these guys (comm biased folks) have driven the species to near collapse. During the the SB problem years They wanted to fish it until there was not one left in the sea....they NEVER wanted to stop comm fishing for any reason and it wasn't until it was forced down their throat. And look now...they are back comm harvesting at pre-collapse level. What have they learned....nothing.

What has to happen IMO

Stop ALL INSHORE comm fishing whatsoever.

Only offshore comm fishing is permitted and is serioulsy regulated.

INshore fish are there for rec anglers and growth of the species. (Limits are stickly enforced on recs with serious penelties if they are broken)

The amount of money that rec PUT INTO the economy is far more significant then what the comms PERSONALLY TAKE OUT in the 21 days of the fishery..

In the first week they have taken more then 1/4 of the quota already...

My response to you questions..
What is wrong with me getting 30, 34" fish and sell them to pay my bills and feed my family?? Because YOU DON'T NEED TO!! You CAN to something else. THis is an excuse by most of the comm fisherman. Most of these guys are not the poor hardship cases. No one told you you HAD to do this ...this only lasts 21 days..it doesn't have a financial impace for most fisherman.

Don't you think it is better then watching the (Some not all) Recreational fisherman go out there with there light tackle and catch small and large alike bass and exhaust them to near death!! Then stand there for 5 min taking pictures, then tossing the thing over board like a bag of trash!
What are the chances that fish will live?? 0%!!

Wrong!!! The FACTS (several) are that about 8% die...including the gut hooked fish. SB are actually a pretty hearty fish. Comms l;ike to make them out as some frail brook trout like fish.

Or all the gut hooked fish they rip the guts out of to save a .15 hook!! Will that fish live?? Nope not a chance!!

FACT: This just does not happen that often.

Last I new there are a whole lot more weekend worriers out there then the comm. guys and you X that buy the fish they kill and there are alot more fish wasted then there is caught and sold at market!!
The fish that is sold at market feeds my family and the familys of people that other wise would never get to eat a fish!
BS! last week they could not give this fish away...it is not that high in demand when the wholesale market was paying .95 now it is up to 2.50 or so still...lame.

There is no perfect solution to the fishery!! But a Harvest keeps the stock healthy.

So we should harvest more to keep it healthier?

Try to go back 15 years ago and see how many fish were being caught!! The striped bass is healthy and strong!!

Nope! 15 years ago was striper hell. Wrong again.

Throw your rod away!! Cause you have never killed or wasted a fish!! You think all fish that are released live?? Nope and I am sure your that you release don't all live eaither!!

yeah right. get your facts straight. Most fish live just fine.

Go join PETA while you are signing up for things!!

I hope your fishing income is 66 2/3 of your total income...else you will be done with fishing. Also NO TAX WRITE OFFS UNLESS YOU MAKE 66 2/3 % of your income from fishing..

Do you know If someone turns you in for tax evasion...and you are found guilty, they get 10% of what you owe in back taxes....

Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #13
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

Angry

comercial fisherman are the scum of the earth

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #14
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Last year I caught 75% of my income by fishing!! and 70% the year before!!
No one is getting rich on bass your right!! But the money from the bass,fluke, cod, sea bass, scup all add up to income!!

O well this will be a war so I end it now!!

But I will be sure to kill about 90 fish this week in your name! all the way to the bank
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #15
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

seems there's no middle road here ,,,there are 3 types of people ..
the one's that want to stop the selling [so they can catch a fish, bring it home only to say..look what I caught,then dump it in the trash can]

the trophy hunters,,always after the big one to get it stuffed an hang on the wall .

comm. guys

EVeRYONE is killing bass...so it looks like to me that EVERYONE is fishing out of the same boat

Gamefish??? once that happens you won't even be able to take one home to eat......they'll suck you in to sign up...try reading the fine print , that's if they'll let you see it first.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Thats what I am talking about Capesams......all the folks who are for it better read up....if that ever happens....catching stripers will be nothing but a memory!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally posted by CANAL RAT
comercial fisherman are the scum of the earth
I think JohnR needs to keep children off the site.
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #18
Team Rock On

...especially the hypocritical ones... By CANAL RAT

"i take my mack,herring,pogie and put them in a zip lock bag and take a thick thick!! freezer zip lock bag and double bag them squize the air out of the bags"

Have you thanked your commercial fisherman lately?
Team Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #19
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally posted by capesams
[B

Gamefish??? once that happens you won't even be able to take one home to eat......they'll suck you in to sign up...try reading the fine print , that's if they'll let you see it first. [/B]
Again..COMPLETE BS!

Sailfish are a GAMEFISH
Marlin are a GAMEFISH
Snook and Permit have similar protection
SB should be the same
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #20
t.orlando

I favor a slot . 1 small 1 trophy
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #21
Flaptail

Shouldn't this be on the conservation section thingie?

yes it should Flap, and tone down the swearing please

Last edited by Slipknot; 07-19-2004 at 02:15 PM..

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #22
Notaro
None

Gamefish??? once that happens you won't even be able to take one home to eat......they'll suck you in to sign up...try reading the fine print , that's if they'll let you see it first. [/B][/QUOTE]

I got sucked into it. Now, I'm going to have to change my signature on the pettition.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #23
B-assman

Notaro - that's not what the stripersforever petion says - It would allow for recreational catch and keep within bag limits set - Read it online at

Click Here

FROM THE STRIPERSFOREVER WEB SITE
The fishing public, even restrained by very modest bag limits and moderately high minimum sizes, could easily harvest all that a well managed wild striper population can provide without any help from commercial fishermen. Making the striped bass a gamefish will simply mean that those who wish to catch their own will be given priority over those who want to buy their own at market. This is the way a free society should work. Personal harvest has historically been given preference over the market when the resource was too limited to provide both. The precedents are in place -- market gunning and freshwater commercial fishing were both outlawed in the United States when they threatened personal use access to public resources. And so it must be with the striped bass, which is far more valuable as a gamefish than as a commercially harvested commodity.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:13 PM   #24
Notaro
None

Okay, I got it, thanks, dude.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #25
Ed B

These threads turn into nothing more than ridiculous opportunities to launch personal assualts and show personal prejudices at any group of people that doesn't fish like you do.

The commercial quota is a small fraction of what we recs will kill, it is a hard capped quota and they stop when the quota gets filled. So get over it. These Pig-Piles are ridiculous. Live and let live. Go fishing and enjoy what you have.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thanks Ed
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #27
Nebe

Look at the redfish crash that happened down south. They made the redfish a game fish, then added a slot limit.. the redfish is booming, and yes, you can still fish for them and you can still eat them, you just cant comercially fish for them.

Sorry, but for the poor comercial guy struggling to feed the family, if you cant afford to feed yoru family, how can you justify buying a boat? IMO its just an excuse. If you cant afford to boat fish and have to suppliment income by killing as many fish so you can buy your gps and radar gadgets, tackle, dockage, then hide behind the blanket that you cant afford to feed your family, and have to kill hundreds of bass, well.... you get no sympathy from me....This isn't aimed at anyone on the board, by the way, I just dont believe in the comercial harvest of a fish that was almost fished out. We made the mistake once and it seems many people can justify doing it agian
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #28
jsullivan
SURF AND TURF

[QUOTE]Originally posted by macojoe
[B]Last year I caught 75% of my income by fishing!! and 70% the year before!!
No one is getting rich on bass your right!! But the money from the bass,fluke, cod, sea bass, scup all add up to income!!

Make a living doin something you love GREAT!!! I have a serious doubt that the SB will beacome a gamefish and a positive feeling that comm fishing will will never be removed. for the past 5 years I have continued to have " best years ever" and this year is far and away no exception.
I know for a fact I release FAR more fish a year than the average rec. and some comm. fisherman see in 2.(remember some of these guys only fish on sundays) so I see nothing wrong with someone else making a living by keeping them. Sometimes I think that the guy who fishes once a week goes out and doesn't catch a thing and thinks there are no fish to be had, wrong idea.

REMEMBER A QUOTA IS A QUOTA WHEN IT'S FILLED IT'S OVER.
THE REAL SCUMBAGS ARE PEOPLE WHO HIGHGRADE THEIR CATCH.

NEVER BELEIVE EVERYTHING U READ AT ANY "FOREVER " WEBSITE
DO ALL OF U BELEIVE THE PLOVER LOVERS????????

CATCHIN A 50 IS LIKE GETTIN POISON IVY ON YOUR MANHOOD..........IT TAKES A LONG TIME BEFORE YOU CAN BEAT IT!!!!
jsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #29
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't think you can compare stripers to warm water fish from down south, that's a whole different scenario. Stripers migrate all along the whole east coast. The rules have to vary from state to state
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #30
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
Macojoe, go do us a favor.. go harvest all the bloofish, that'll work great in our favor and you get to cull the bluefish terror..

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote