Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
chunkerII

Question Eels. Black or White?

I'm putting together a bucket to keep some eels in this weekend. I made one last year with white buckets. I'd guess from what I've read here so far that using darker containers so the eels will turn dark too is the best way to go. Any differing opinions or advice? Thanks!
chunkerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
beachwalker
Below Me

gray

black
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I've used white eel buckets all my life. Black eels stayed black, and those greenish ones (hate the bastages) stayed that ugly green.

I don't think the fish that fell for 'em saw any difference, either
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Clammer

I think in clean water like the Cape =Black {May} make difference /but here or in deep water --I don,t think it really matters --matter of fact my eels are alot lighter because the time I,ve been holding them //// I,ve been ok with them when the fish don,t have lockjaw ???//

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
5/0
Eels

I don't think it really matters I use a purple bucket.not my first color choice but the wife picked it up three yrs ago for our Keg party & well it's been w/ us since....Anyway I use it every year,I'll buy eels by the Doz.+ & keep-em for weeks on end & they still work just fine. heres some proof.....& I have more to boot!

5/0

Last edited by 5/0; 07-24-2004 at 07:01 PM..

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
5/0
Eels

Small livewell I have a 55gal. that IM gonna drop in the floor of my garage soooooon.been 2 lazy but it's gonna happin soon

Old 07-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
t.orlando

Wink

Wish you could keep your face blacked out all the time
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
5/0.. got any pictures that show the whole purple rig?

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #9
5/0
Eels

Yeah I know T. my wife feels the same way

MikeTLive here's a PIC I took last year,It works really well on hot days.Before the Mods the eels would cook in my garage so I put some R-13 around it then came the cooler & Ice.It works very well,but I feel that when I put my new one in the ground it'll be much cooler.& I should be able to get more eels in there & they shouldn't suffocate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00112 copy.jpg (64.4 KB, 379 views)

Old 07-25-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
5/0
Eels

Who's this guy in my garage?

Nice fish!

Old 07-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Krispy

If you keep eels in white for more than 2 days the definitely turn light colored. And it takes longer for them to turn dark again.

5/0, I wouldnt bother putting the tank in the ground. warm water doesnt really affect eels to much, the main point is aeration, and removing ammonia. Eeels live in ponds and shallow creeks where water will heat up way above what a 55gal in the shade will
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
Krispy

The white one is black that I painted over. It has dual airstones and ball valve drain. Itll keep 3dozen eels for a week w/o water change and a couple squirts of Ammo-lok. Ill be putting in a pond bio-filter to keep the water changes down to every 3-4 weeks
Old 07-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
5/0
Eels

Krispy
Are those drums on the out side of your garage in the shade & do you have any casulties during heat waves?I know that during a 3-5 day heat waves they'll start dropping like flys,The R-13 helps keep the cold in & the ice on the three stage canister filter helps the filter is rated for 75gl. & under Im not sure of the actual GPH but it works well.If I can keep the water fairly cool I'll do 4-6 week water change.

where do you get Ammo-lok It sounds good I never heard of it....I use Ammo Carb it's a combo of activated carbon & Ammo chips that goes into the second stage of the filter.

I like that ball valve idea IM gonna go to Home depot and get me one,Thanks for the advice.

5/0

Old 07-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
Krispy

Those drumms are always shaded there. Im sure if the water temps dont go over 75-80 they'll be alright. The pond filter I found is rated for 1500 gallons Maybe 6-8 week water changes
The ammo-lok can be had at any pet store and instantly neutralizes ammonia into non-toxic form.

The blue barrell has a bonze thru-hull and transom plug, but the ball vavle is much better. It was $4 at HD.
The only trouble with the black drums is you cant see the eels in em w/o a light shining in.
I may try hanging a black eel bag in the drum
Old 07-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
t.orlando

5/o, got some baitsaver type stuff from when I used to fish live herring. I'll bring over next time I come by.
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 PM   #16
5/0
Eels

IM sorry but IM still not convinced about leaving my livewell above ground,After four-five days of 85-95 degree weather it will bring water temp up to current out side temp,or pretty dam close to it.I have had eels dropping on me left & right.& the bait store is a good 18 miles away, & don't want any unwanted deaths that I could of prevented.

I strongly feel that the livewell will be better insulated in the ground & the water temp will be at a consistantly cooler temp.I'll give it a shot & post my results.

Krispy thanks for the info on the Ammo-lok I will get me some of that.
T. please bring that stuff over next time we hook up!

Old 07-26-2004, 05:59 AM   #17
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Krispy - What size and type of air pump are you using?

I've been using a 120 Qt cooler (sprayed the inside black) to keep eels, the O2 seems ok but the Ammo-lok might be the key -

I used to keep a salt-water aquarium, so I should've been wiser on the ammonia issue

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:27 AM   #18
Krispy

Crafty, its a regular fish tank pump from Petco with duall air hoses, so I have to 2 air stones going.
In the end I may go with an industrial style air pump and 3/4" hose for super aeration. Possibly for keeping peanuts or shad down the road.
I believe the ammonia neutralizer is key to keeping healthy eels for extended periods.
Im sure one of the shop guys, Don or Mike could give tips on the best setup
Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #19
Duke41
got gas?

What about sticking the whole contraption into a old refrigerator. Just set the temp at the highest level. I but it would work fine. The eels would stay sluggish and the dark would keep them black.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #20
5/0
Eels

That would work very well & also a chiller would as well,got any to spare?

5/0

Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #21
Saltheart

If you are just keeping them for the weekend , don't worry about the color of the bucket.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:41 PM   #22
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
lookin at old posts...

What about drillin a pair of holes in the side of an old fridge, and patching a line from near bottom of your tank, into the fridge and through a few horizontal loops of copper pipe, then back out the fridge and into the tank near the top.
once primed, the water should circulate on its own as the warm water is drawn in, cools, and drops into the lower port on your tank.

make the heat transfer more efficient by submerging the coiils in a closed 5gal water bucket.

keep them eels out with a nylon screen at the base.
could even use quick release hose taps at each of the fridge and tank ports.

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 PM   #23
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeTLive
lookin at old posts...

What about drillin a pair of holes in the side of an old fridge, and patching a line from near bottom of your tank, into the fridge and through a few horizontal loops of copper pipe, then back out the fridge and into the tank near the top.
once primed, the water should circulate on its own as the warm water is drawn in, cools, and drops into the lower port on your tank.

make the heat transfer more efficient by submerging the coiils in a closed 5gal water bucket.

Yeah know,I've been eyein an old chiller @ work I think it might be mine.My Boss has been talking about an upgrade & he might toss the older one out!
It's pretty nice,it's a closed system,rated for 200 gallons it has temp settings that are tried & true.

I never put my tank in the ground,but what I could do is wrap the drum with a hot water tank wrap style insulation or wrap the drum with R-13 or higher rating insulation.

I like your idea but, can't spare any room in the fridge for NON-BEER ITEMS!!!!!Hummmmmmmmmmmmm beer!

It'll be a long winter,let's see what creativity comes from it.

5/0

Old 10-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #24
MikeTLive
...and in person!

simple. wrap pipe around a keg
put keg in water tub.
put salt water tub in fridge
drill third whole in side for tap to come through.
mount tap on fridge.
set fridge WAYYYYY COLLLDDDDD.
salt will allow water to become way cold.
if you start with ice it will be mega cold.
heck you could even use a styrofoam box for the fridge.

ice+salt water = very frigin cold water!!!
just like making ice cream

here is a horrible representation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baitkeg.jpg (19.9 KB, 67 views)

will cook for food
...and plugs
Old 10-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #25
5/0
Eels

Any chance I can get that keg & CO2 on Consignment

Old 10-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
MikeTLive
...and in person!

call your local packy
check the want-ad for restaurant supplies too
I would think that most beer guzzlers would have their oen keg at home. It is cheaper than bottled right?

will cook for food
...and plugs
Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #27
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Mike, you have alot of time and I am glad, because I am gonna do your fridge-hose-barrell trick over the winter.. My beer fridge is in the garage and I can see it all now...Thnx for the diagram... I think it will work sweet and it can be done on the cheap...
Chris

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #28
MikeTLive
...and in person!

careful you dont puncture any freon carrying vents in the side of the fridge

will cook for food
...and plugs
Old 10-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #29
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Should I lay on the ground after doing the holes and see if I get tired? j/k
I think it is gonna work shweet, ice cold eels. Big bonus having a stock of them at the house. I don't see the sun much, and I have yet to see snakes at Stop N Shop or 711.. The fiancee is gonna love it,

Meeting tomorrow night, right?

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:36 PM   #30
MikeTLive
...and in person!

I will be there for the first hour at best.
gotta get home for the game

will cook for food
...and plugs