Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Anybody Doing Anything?

Haven't been out since Friday nite and I'm jonesing big time - anybody hittin' 'em?

I was gonna go out last nite but Mrs. Crafty is real sick - I stayed home to make dinner for her - being a wop-a-gee (that's someone of Italo-Portuguese descent) I figured it was either soupas or sauce for a general analgesic. She's still in bed as of this AM, but appears none too worse for my gravy (sauce to youse guys who aren't Itralian) -

Anyway, I'm going out tonite at dusk, wanna play with my Surf Howdies a while before it gets dark so I can study the action - then hit ***** ****'*.

No spot burning, as usual - anybody doing anything? See any bait around? Haven't seen the rumored baby pogies yet, but I'm waiting

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Seen them babies at a spot east of me, west of you and north of where we fished a few weeks back... lotta blues. some bass... back two nights ago and nada... bait had moved..... probably out late night, maybe in newport, maybe West... not sure yet...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
cheferson

I was out yesterday afternoon. I saw massive amounts of bait, all about 2-3 inch little minnows. Tons of 5-10 lb blues blitzing all the bait , had a blue on every cast for a bit.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Bloooos - arggghhh - I gotta get Clamma down here for varmint control

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Crafty.... ....Last night gave up fish from 12 - 27.....right around 6:30 or so...fish were breaking in the wash. Chasing bait ...yep bait. Right around the corner from the other place we never talked about on the day we forgot to have lunch together....Fill up the gas tank and take the drive if you want any action...it will be worth the ride. If you need directions.....buy a mass-Ho-map.

Observation: Water was very dirty, poppers were NOT the lure of choice. Swimmers were working but ....
Quote:
Water was very dirty
. Happy Birthday

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Thanks, Bloooo - I never understood all of that stuff you never posted

Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
i been fishing a a spot around duxbury/marshfield that has been giving me plenty of schoolies the last 2 times ive been there. goin back today/tonight , i think they are getting bigger. top water and rubber. havent had a bluefish yet either.

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
missing link

we hit *** *** ****** * and did well for a while that we hit **** island **** and got some nice black seabass.

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM   #9
Nebe

do schoolies count?
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #10
Moses

Boat trip over to MV & Nomans last weekend (saturday). 16 hrs fishing and one keeper bass to show for it. Loads of blues in the 10 - 18lb class, biggest I've ever caught.

Been doing some shore fishing down the Ditch and some along S Shore MA with only a few schoolies, no blues.

Just gotta keep trying.........

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #11
Slingah

I got a few small schoolies 2-day
goin out tonite to get a few big ones

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
do schoolies count?
as long as they were caught from shore!
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #13
blackeye
Authoritaah

Quote:
do schoolies count?
sure they count, if you hit from the ladied tee off area when you play golf

Is it good, or is it Sofa King good?
blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Nebe

T-lap. - Yes from shore:

Browneye- at least these fish actually exist
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #15
cheferson

I crushed the blues big time again today!! I had 4 hours of non-stop action. All slayed by my only popper i had, rockhounds squid popper. Caught 40+ blues and not a scratch on the plug ! I havent seen so much bait or blitzing sense october. Anyone wants some blues shoot me a pm.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
blackeye
Authoritaah

don't be mad just cause you're a sucker

Quote:
T-lap. - Yes from shore:

Browneye- at least these fish actually exist

Is it good, or is it Sofa King good?
blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #17
basswipe

Heading out right now Crafty.Gonna hit the spot.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #18
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally posted by blackeye
sure they count, if you hit from the ladied tee off area when you play golf
Ouch

I'm jonesing bad here and I'm gonna head out in a few minutes - hopefully beat out the front coming thru -

I gots that old feelin' that some kinda somethin's gonna happen somewhere...

Old 07-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #19
goosefish

I've been catching some good fish---teen- to- twenty-pound range, with all the fish hitting at dark, just after evening twilight. Then the fishing shuts down and I go home and get into bed.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #20
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

Bluefish vs Storm Minnows

Okay, I had no idea how voracious Bluefish are. Ran into my first all out blitz today. Caught about twenty in about as many cast today. Massive feeding frenzy. Biggest one about 10 lb's
My Minnows got shredded in half ! Had to switch to a plug, just to save my wallet. They didn't break my 40 lb leader, but I changed it 3 times. Steel leaders on the shopping list.
What a trip !

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:19 AM   #21
Clammer

@#$%^& BLUES ### @#$%^& WIND ++ @#$%^& BLUES< @#$%^&& WIND ? @#$%^& BLUES ?? @#$%^& WIND

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:30 AM   #22
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Mmmmmm.....bloooofish.....

Actually there's a lot of them around here too Mike - but they're the good ones, 3-5# -

Perfect smoker size.......

Unsmoked? Ya know, I'd rather eat a seagull

Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #23
Roseneath

Angry

Last Wednesday I caught a couple blues and a few bass... since then its been all blues and seaweed.

Do most of the bass leave or change their feeding pattern when the blues show-up? Is this an annual event?

If the bass are still here, whats the best way to target them (and limit the blues)?
Roseneath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #24
Notaro
None

Quote:
Originally posted by Roseneath
Last Wednesday I caught a couple blues and a few bass... since then its been all blues and seaweed.

Do most of the bass leave or change their feeding pattern when the blues show-up? Is this an annual event?

If the bass are still here, whats the best way to target them (and limit the blues)?
you can't. when they are around, the bass are scared. if you feel bass are around, use clams.

chuck, last thursday, i caught many slammer blues, lost a fluke overboard, caught a small brown shark, and lost a few of my good lures to the blues, and many and lost 2 lbs scups. all for good fishing, man.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #25
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Went out last night, it was perfect - big tide with the full moon and a cloud cover to hide it - an increasing swell with the storm offshore, plenty of white-water and a coupla days of SW wind - aaahhh.....

Went to one of my favorite spots for a SW - absolutely textbook for that spot and got.....

POOP

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero, goose-egg - not as much as a freakin' sniff on eels, plugs and jigs. Had a racoon follow us out and hang around, must have gotten a whiff of the eels, that was pretty much it for wildlife, real thin in the bass department.

I'll tell ya, be real careful out there - this swell is gonna be a corker, it's pushing a lot of water up the coast already - the water was still rising an hour after high out front - I was standing on a rock 4' up from where I usually stand and was occasionally taking white-water to the knees -

We'll see what happens, I guess - early on the swell might produce in a large way - but 4 days of a big swell is probably just gonna blow everything hell-west and crooked baitwise just as it was starting to fall into place. Not to mention a butt-load of weed everywhere...

Saw Tony C. last nite and stopped at his camper to say hi - he's the guy who built and installed the fisherman's ladder at the point all on his own - I'm gonna be interested to see what chunks did overnite -

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 08-02-2004 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #26
goosefish

Took a long skinny fish last night on a habs. Kept it and broke a good pouring sweat getting the fish back to the truck. 29.8 pounds.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #27
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally posted by goosefish
Took a long skinny fish last night on a habs. Kept it and broke a good pouring sweat getting the fish back to the truck. 29.8 pounds.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 AM   #28
rwilhelm

Got into a bunch of schoolies yesterday morning. Was hoping there were some keepers mixed in but the biggest I got was about 25".
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:16 AM   #29
Surfcastinglife

i love me some bloofish i dunno why u guys hate em so much i think they're tasty wish i was catchin em this well up in gloucester where i usually fish havent run into em yet =[
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #30
Krispy

Ive been getting lots of cookie cutter 36" 20lb-ish stripers. The last couple I took home had lobsters in their bellies.
Theres too many blues in Rhody, so its been a good time to do some scouting for new spots.
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote