Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
SeaWolf

gag's gs slammer

so, yesterday i thought i would see how this stupid lure works. a friend of mine has a one and talked about one day he had with it, of course i never see him with it on as he probably knows i will bust his stones hard. well, after fishing it, i personally think it's junk. casting is inconsistent, i don't care for the swimming action, and i think i just wasted a few bucks. why aren't there bluefish cutting your plug off when you want them too? seems like another "quality lure" in that same assembly line. what's other people opinion of it?
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
rwilhelm

It looks like it is meant for trolling not casting.
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
choggieman

Thumbs down

I have broken three of them this spring and am through with them. They have a good profile and mimic a herring well, just poorly made.
choggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
KLMulder
I fart in your general direction!!!

I got hold of 2 of them , took them out and trolled them behind the boat and they out fished a tube n worm and an umbrella rig hands down. As far as casting you have to go side arm with them, just like most things in life practice make perfect. I can now throw mine as far as anything else in my bag.

KL

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

Go Yankee's
KLMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
SBASS1

Hey Kid... if you troll a half dozen together they swim well, anything less than that and you got better chance using a MGD can.
SBASS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Mr. Sandman

Wow...I don't think they are *that* bad. I used them this spring from the surf and they cast OK..they could be a little heavier, perhaps a heavy mag ball on the inside would help...but I was able to fish it OK. I would say it casts further then a mambo and most lipped minnows on average. It does tend to "kite" somewhat tough so I guess that is where your inconstantancy comes from.

Quite frankly I thought the swimming action was pretty damn good considering it doesn't have a lip too. If you are fishing mono you probably cant feel it.

I have trolled it too off of wasque. Frankly I think it is too light for wire. Wire line demands more tension (IMO) then this lure can produce. So I would troll it on braid or lead. ( I used braid with a drail and it trolled fine)

As far as fish catching...I have caugeh a buch of bluefish and several medium bass (3 or 4) but nothing huge and that was in early june. IMO, it is a better boat trolling lure then a surf lure but I think the concept has a lot of potential and it can be use from the surf. I like to see more lip-less swimming lures.

I think he had some serious QC issues early on. Mine seem to stand up ok. (the hooks and rings sucked but I changed them on most plugs anyway) . Only the custom guys use the right stuff IMO.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #7
BigBo

I tried them and did as Sandman said; change hooks. I also tried to improve casting by sticking thin lead weight tape to the body. They did cast better, but had to make adjustments for swimming action.
They're okay. Nothing to write home about.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #8
Rob Rockcrawler

that lure hooked the fisherman and not the fish in my case. i was impressed with its action, it looked really promising but i still have yet to catch anything on it. i was throwing it last week in RI into schools of blues and they didnt even touch it, they killed pencils, bottle plugs, and shreaded my storm shads but didnt even look twice at that thing.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
SBASS1

I beleive for $70-80 they come pre rigged for tuna fishing, that was the trolling I was refering to. I suppose you could cast the whole rig ( I know a few people that tried), but I wouldn't recomend it.
SBASS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:48 AM   #10
Tattoo

Al is a great salesmen for sure, I'll give him that much, and it was a good concept. I think the bad reputation that came with the mambo minnow followed him to the new company Gags International and so did the QC issues.

I have never heard anything positive from any highliner that I have talked to about the plug. After using the mambo minnows and watching them fall apart and crack, I would rather fish with bubbleweed on a bare hook.

You know something is wrong when they are in the $4 bargin bin at the tackle shops.

Maybe Al's new acting career he talks about will be better?
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:35 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

4 dollar bargin bin gs slammers? I would buy them to troll off of umbrella rigs for that! Actually, that would not be a bad idea...

I have to admit, I don't carry it in my surf bag(s) now but there is one in the bin on the boat. I *am* spoiled however with some outstanding custom plugs by you guys...which have been a real pleasure to fish with. Its hard to go commericial after you fish a plug that was hand made. There are a few plasitics I really like but most are wood. Then again... there is a time for everything.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote