Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
CAL
I need spring!

Question Anyone know anything about child support?

I've only been getting $20 a week from my ex and that's only when she can scrape it up (I haven't taken her to court for support yet). Got her to bump it up a little cuz our daughter starts preschool in a week and it's gonna cost me twice what I pay for daycare now. My ex says she's gonna go back to $20/week when she gets into 1st grade because my expenses will go down

Anyone know how the courts figure out how much someone has to pay? Is there a bare minimum? $20 don't cover squat

Will they look at just her income? Will they add in her husbands? What if she says that all she can get is 10 hours/week at 7-11?

I can't afford to pay a lawyer a grand to go into court and only get me $40/week
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
milo

I think it's like 25% of your gross pay
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
cheferson

SHoot , some of my friends have had to pay huge amounts. They didnt even have enough money to support themselves after their payments.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Hooper
Southsider

A co-worker coughs up $400 a week, yikes!!!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Newboater

Payments

When I had to pay child support in PA, it was based on 2 things:

1. Your income
2. Ex's income

I paid around $350.00 a month for son who was in school.

To change any payment ( like when I found out Ex had gotten a better job ) you schedule a hearing and judge will decide on payment adjustment.

Of course the two times I took her back to hearings, I could have died from looks when the payment was reduced.

Sarge

The Ole Sarge
RC&SU (Rude Crude & Socially Unacceptable)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway
Newboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

For one child, the going rate is 15% of monthly gross, less FICA. 25% for two or more.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
MAC

I think Mass. is like 27% for the first child and goes up a little for each additional child.

If she is only getting 10 hrs a week through 7-11 it is because she doesn't want to work. Most retail establishments have Help Wanted signs out year round.
A guy I used to work with (union carpenter) pays 27%. Comes out to 275 a week for 1 child.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
Saltheart

In Mass its big money. very big money , definitely worth paying the lawyer. Its such big money she may sue for custody so you pay rather than pay herself. Anyway , Don't be dumb , get the lawyer!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

yep, it's 25% base, before taxes.
depending on each others situation, it can go to 27% or 24%.

plus i gotta pay for 1/2 of his health insurance.
and he just got a shiney new set of $9,000 braces that i gotta pay 1/2 of.
and i gotta pay till he's "imancipated".
if he goes to college and lives at home, i gotta pay till he's on his own.

take her to court!!!! absolutely!!!!
20 bucks is squat!

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #10
kippy
Got Necco's?

You guys are scaring me..maybe I should stay single?
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
CAL
I need spring!

Well, after my ex lost her visitation for almost two years and just got it back, guess what the court granted me for support. A whopping $50 a week. And it's not like I make tons of money. I struggle to get by week to week.

I don't care what people say, the courts cater to the women. And yes, I had a woman judge
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

welcome to massachusetts.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
pal156

28% of groos pay for 1st kid and 3% per kid after that

pal156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
Thom

My next door neighbors ex took him back to court for more child support because she was going to have another baby with her new husband. He judge said okay and then he lost it told the judge he wasn't going to pay it wasn't his kid and if you to send me to jail go ahead I have Im not paying for a kid that even isn't mind. If they can't support another child they shouldn't have let it happen. His Atty just sat and looked at him like he was going to jail. the funny thing was the jude change his mind and said he was right it wasn't his kid and he souldn't havve to pay for it. THomT
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 AM   #15
teaser
Wave Jumper

I raised my daughter by myself since she was 8 months old, she is now 19 with a baby of her own and living on her own since she turned 18.

Her mother was ordered to pay that whopping sum of $20.00 per week too, that was a joke! I paid $5,700.00 in court costs, lawyer costs to get full custody of my daughter after a 3 year struggle of shared custody. I won, the mother moved to Florida!

The $20.00 per week ... department of revenue last had her in $14,000.00 in arrears! She remarried in Fla., squeezed out 2 more kids, owns a house but does the system help collect the money owed ... yeah, right!

I asked if I could put a lien on her house, DOR says ... nope! I asked can you's put a lien on her house, DOR says ... nope! I was then told I have to go through DOR in Fla., asked can I do it? Was told not from here, I have to go there to do it. Went there and was told ... nope, can't do it from Fla. it has to be done from Mass.

What a circlejerk! Court here said she had to turn over her income tax refund to me in lieu of back support, oh - this is when she tried to get the amount reduced to $0. and get visitation rights for my daughter to go to Fla., DOR says ... don't worry we'll intercept her refund check of $5,300.00 and it'll go directly to you. Well I never saw it, never saw a penny of it and never will.

I was finally given a ray of hope about 4 months ago by the DOR, they said they can now put a lien on the house.

Guess what came next ...

Her new husband divorced her, she got the house in Fla. because of the 2 new kids, she then sold the same house 2 weeks later and moved into assisted living in Fla. (welfare section 8 here, don't know what they call it there) and her last sucker has to pay her support!

Does the system work ... HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt you'll ever see the payment enforced here in this state, the court does not recognize "deadbeat moms" only deadbeat dads!

Do I sound bitter speaking of this great system of ours? Well I am and have every right to be, I did everything their way ... by the books and still got screwed!

If you ask the system for help ...

Be afraid ......... be very afraid!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #16
fish4striper

Massachusetts is cruel. Pay till 23 if they're in college. My daughters away at college 8 months out of the year and I gotta pay my ex while she's there. Of course my ex doesn't pass it on.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

$100.00 to $150.00 per child is more like. Thats what I hear some guys paying. $20.00 is pitiful.

I remember a friend coming out of court and the judge ordered him to pay more than what he brought home. When he protested the judge told him to get another job.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
smokefish

Mass DOR has a web site , take a look at it.Teaser hs it just about right.If you have "legal" custody then you should take a chance with the court system.
smokefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thom

I always wondered why more guys didn't or dont stand up to ajudge like your neighbor. If every guy did that judges would be forced to listen. If the defendent in the action says take me to jail I can't afford that it just wont happen. They would run out of room and if the guys in jail he would be unable to pay anything. Whats sad is his attorney should have been listened to by the judge so the guy didn't have to force the issue.

Probate courts in Mass. are extremely lax in collecting funds owed much the same way probabtion departments dont chase after fines owed from criminal cases.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
fishman

I live in Michigan and I pay $89.00 a week for 1 kid. She has 1 and I have the other. She pays nothing. Tell me that is not a crock.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I know a "friend" who pays $350/week plus half activities, clothes, etc....

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
"uffah!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy
You guys are scaring me..maybe I should stay single?
Stay single, and raise all your kids the same way!!!

"Non temere mai Roma, il serpente rimane attorcigliato a Napoli!"
"Baci Mio Culo"
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

But,
I also know a guy who only has to pay $50 a week, hasn't in like 10 yrs. dead beat is back about 47k, finally one judge actually listened to the mother, and put the guy on house arrest after work hours and on weekends. Also ordered to pay X amount at the begging of the month towards his arrears. He had to show proof he got a second job for extended hours on his new shiney ankle braclet. (total deadbeat losah)
that worked in getting her a little money, 3 months later, another court date, they take off the braclet, the very next month wouldn't cha know, he didn't pay anything towards his arrears. (deadbeat)

Old 09-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #24
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffah!!
Stay single, and raise all your kids the same way!!!
Run forest, run!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #25
Slingah

I've been through it...and Swimmer I also had a judge tell me to get a second job(years ago)...all the while the lazy no good manipulator of the system mother is getting all the free stuff she could get her hands on...food, clothes, apartments....
I'll have to say in the long run...it all worked out well for me...I took my kid away from that selfish monster.....and she has not contributed a cent torwards any form of support

Chris....your a good dad..and have a special girl....someday you will get some due....kharma......
and make the mother pay........
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Been through it too....it sucks! Just keep doing what is best for your daughter no matter how difficult it may be at times. If she is not paying support she has no right to visit with your daughter!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #27
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Talk about a role revearsal !!!
Usually it's the guy paying the mother !
@ only $20.00 , she must really give a crap about her child!!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #28
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
If she is not paying support she has no right to visit with your daughter!
....everybody should see thier kids....even if they are a chitbum......and I believe support has no bearing on visitation
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #29
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah
....everybody should see thier kids....even if they are a chitbum......and I believe support has no bearing on visitation
I agree with you there, it is important . You also do want to go against your visitation agreement even if the other half isn't paying their child support. Luckily I see them all the time. I don't think I could take that away from someone, unless they were a total mess or some type of danger.
I really have no issue about what I pay, actually I agreed to pay over the state minimum. I know where the $ goes, and I know I am providing for my kids. They live in a great town and go to a great school, and have all they need and some of what they want. That is all that matters.