Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood? » How To and Favorite Plug Forum Guides

How To and Favorite Plug Forum Guides This location is for Plug Forum How-To and Step by Step guides as well as popular informational threads

Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Jigman

Jig for doing popper mouths

I mentioned this jig in another thread. A gent on the site asked if I would post a photo, so here it is. Basically, I took a short section of scrap wood and attached two sides to it to form a corner. This is placed in a vice on the drill press. I use a clamp to keep the blank verticle in the jig. In addition, I'll keep a hand near the top of the plug to secure it. To do the actual mouth, I'm using a full round rotar bit. Center the bit over the front of the plug and slowly lower the bit into the wood and drill to the depth you want. Instant popper mouth I used to use the same jig to keep my blanks verticle when thru-drilling on the drill press.

Jigman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jm_popperjig.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1854  
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Jigman

Oh yeah, once it is done, I'll take a piece of sandpaper, place it over the mouth of the popper, and use my thumb to clean it out and round the sides at the top.

Jigman
Old 10-13-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

thanks andrew.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Hey Jigs

Where did you get that vise that bolts to the table of the drill press?. That is cool. I've never seen that in any tool catalog.

- - - SK
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Cool Jigman,thanks for showing.Thats why you are The Jigman and have all your fingers
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

anyone got a 11/8 half round router bit nice jig jigs.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #7
Jigman

You are welcome guys. Hope that helps you to keep your fingers too

SK, Home Depot I believe is where I got the vise. I've seen them a few places around town.

Umm, I guess thats a half round bit not full round

Salty, dear, if you had squealed like a pig for me you would have had one in bandito colors too I check out the cave next year. I gots some special pink filtered glasses coming just for that trip

Jigman
Old 10-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #8
PASurfer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigman
I check out the cave next year.

Jigman
Piece of wisdom for ya, Jigsy: never postpone happiness.
PASurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
rocketman

Thanks Jigman.

Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you've got, the less poop you taste.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Capesams,

Biggest I could find was 1" at Spags in Shrewsbury. I made a jig like jigman but with the larger bit, I got a TON of "Chatter" Became dangerous when the bit holder thing-a-mabob came flying off.

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
capesams

TXS...been looking for some time now...ran across a man that told me he had the jig that blue streak used for doing popper mouths..I gotta get back to see if he got a chance to dig it out......wouldn't that be nice.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #12
MAC

Quote:
Originally posted by capesams
TXS...been looking for some time now...ran across a man that told me he had the jig that blue streak used for doing popper mouths..I gotta get back to see if he got a chance to dig it out......wouldn't that be nice.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #13
backcast

The router bit Jigman is using is called a round nose or core box bit. Do google search for that and you will find plenty of sources.

Jigman's jig looks like a good idea, but I would not rely on a spring clamp to hold the plug. The spring clamp is just not strong enough to hold the wood steady, and if that thing moves with a drill press spinning you might get a very unpleasant surprise. Might explain the chatter that Bob Thomas had problems with.
backcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #14
Jigman

Any suggestions on what might work better than the spring clamp? I also have a hand on the plug while I'll doing the mouth too to keep it steady. You are right, the clamp alone would not be enough.

Pa, know what you mean. Sooooo much to do up there and not enough time to do it all. Was meeting up with Winch and Timber that night for our last Cape surf trip. I'm sure the salty cave visit would have been great too. May be I need to retire early so I have more time to fish

Jigman
Old 10-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #15
green meanie

tip

thanks for the tip.
a visual helps alot.
green meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigman
Any suggestions on what might work better than the spring clamp?

Jigman
Jigster,would making a jig to the form of the plug with a square back on it and held with 2 screw clamps top and bottom work?
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #17
capesams

try two quick-grips,,they have yellow rubber pads on the arms so it won't a leave a mark. they come in many sizes....

BOAT fish do count.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #18
maddog2020

Arrow

Ya got the right idea Jigman. Try roughing out the opening w/ a big drill before you use that router bit - save wear and tear on the tool and I know its another step/operation as well.

Some De-Sta-Co clamps (toggle style)would be ideal if you have a lot to do. They make several different kinds - not cheap, but once you have it set up you flick the lever or two and pop in the next piece of stock.

Most drill presses have too much slop in the spindle - a manual milling machine is better way to go. Lots more $ as well.

I'm not a plug builder, but I have lots of experience fixturing.

Jigman - pm me a mailing address and I'll send ya out a couple of clamps to try out. I have some used ones in a box.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #19
backcast

Jigman, sorry to criticize without offering an alternative. I have not done popper mouths that way so I will have to think about it. What about placing a vertical pin in a board the same diameter as the through hole. Place the plug on the pin, then keep the plug from spinning with a handscrew clamp. The pin could be a long machine screw. You could add some blocks to elevate the clamp closer to the action. Some handscrew clamps have groves for grabbing round stuff. Some of the other posts look promising as well
backcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Jigman

Lots of good ideas. Thanks guys! Will give some of these a shot next time I'm doing poppers. I'm thinking a nail through the bottom of the jig that would fit into the blank combined with the suggested clamps might do the trick.

Backcast, not a problem. Anything that concerns a safety issue should be pointed out.

Jigman
Old 10-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

another way

If you have a router and router table you can put a piece of 1/4" laun over the table plunge the bit thru it, then fasten a piece of 3/4" ply with a hole in it bigger than the plug. Size of hole would be 2 x plug diameter minus bit radius minus whatever flat you want at the edge of the recess. Clamp the plug with a wooden handscrew for safety and hold it against the side of the 3/4" ply to start.
Pete
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #22
Slipknot
Super Moderator

bump
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote