Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
missing link

Question Getting started: Jigs

Me and my dad are going to start getting into jig making. I know some of the basic things you will need, like a lead melting pot , molds ect. i know a few of you guys on here make em, so if ya could just kinda point us in the right direction it would be cool.

Link Sir & Link Jr

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
Jigman

First things you need are a well ventilated area, exhaust fan, respirator, gloves, and eye protection. A number of different pots you can get. Really depends on the size and number of jigs you will be doing. The larger sizes are usually done with a pot and ladle. You'll need a supply of hooks. The size/style should be listed on the molds you get. You'll also want paint for the heads. Some like the vinyl paint, I prefer the powder paints. You'll need lead. Best place to try is a plumbing supply place. They often sell lead ingots (also called lead chalking) in 5# sizes. Gate shears for cutting the extra lead off. If you are tying tails, rod building thread in size A works well. Also pick up zap a gap and head cement.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
partsjay
Let's Rock!

There was a aritcle in OTW this month. I don't make them, but that might help.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
missing link

jigman, thanks for the info, i was looking at this web site and found This melting pot. i think it will be ok for what we are doing.
as far as paint goes, Powder Paint should be good as you said. Is there a web site where you like to buy your paints and other accessories?

thanks

partsjay i will look over that again

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
NIB

When u pick a do-it mold they recomend a Eagle Claw hook.well these are pure crap an if u want the fish of a lifetime opening a hook on u then be my guest.get the equivilant size or even next size up mustad.34184 is the longer shank an 34185 is the shorter shank.the easy way to remember this is the bigger number is the smaller shank.try to find if u can hooks that don't end in the prefix D as that stand for the new plating process called Duratin an they are not as good as the old ones this has been well talked of with thier new trebles.take a dremel tool an VERY CAREFULLY open the space for the hook up to except the bigger hook.the more mistakes u make the more cleaning up u'll have to do later on.So take ur time.once ur done with that u'll have to "smoke" the mold.Take a candle an light it.Hold the mold over the smoke coming off the candle so that the cavities fill up with the suit from the smoke this allows the pourings to come out more freely.The small pot that has the element underneath an pours right out with a ladle type configuration is a good starter pot.always heat the molds up by placing them on top of the pot as the lead melts this will also remove any condensate that might build in the cooler months.never ever allow any water neer the lead pot while pouring.they don't mix an the water will make the lead pop an blow all over very dangerous when 450 degree metals are flyin around in a liquid state.Use eye protection an get one of those masks for lead..I make my own jigs only because i believe I make a far supperior product then i can buy.Its tough to get smaller 1/2 -1 1/2 jig head sizes with good hooks in em. the 7/0 owner hook u can buy from got stripers is a great hook.Good luck.

Last edited by NIB; 12-07-2004 at 09:25 AM..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Don't buy the hotpot it doesn't hold enough lead at temperature IMO. I heat 10 lbs at a time in a iron pot on my turkey cooker outside, it's a 100K BTU. With the ladle I can then ladle what I need. You also need to warm the molds up so the first few pours go back into the pot.
I only use quality molds, mold-craft. and quality hooks.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Jigman

If you get the smiling bill do it mold, it will already accept the Mustad hooks that NIB mentioned. Definitely want at least a 10# melter. Stamina and Netcraft both sell the powder paint (Netcraft markets it as their own stuff, but its Pro Tech).

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote