Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
fishaholic18
Finally

Cell phone

Long story short,I need to buy a new cell phone, you can probably guess what happened to mine. I'm gonna look on Ebay I guess, any suggestions on what brand or model is good? I want nothing special. I have Verizon.

Thanks, Dave

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
redneck24
WTF

any motorolla, i have the i560 and love it. dont get an lg whatever you do!

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

My LG's been okay for about a year now. Inside display is pitted from chemical exposure at work, but it still works! I'd suggest it. VX6000. It is a little fancy, though. Simpler may be better.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck24
any motorolla, i have the i560 and love it. dont get an lg whatever you do!
how do you like it ? is it rugged enough ? I opted for the i760 for the bigger display . The i560 was my second choice .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Jimbo

I just got the Motorola 265 camera phone. Not bad I guess. Too much junk in it for my needs or maybe I should just RTFM. Wifey will be activating the LGVX6100 camera phone tonight. We'll see how it goes.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
MakoMike

Check with Verizon before you lay out any money. Most companies will either give you a phone or a substantial discount on one, if you sign up ffor another year of service.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike
Check with Verizon before you lay out any money. Most companies will either give you a phone or a substantial discount on one, if you sign up ffor another year of service.
Mike is right. you should never have to pay for a phone. They will give you one if you sign up for their service.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
greenmeanie

I got mine soaked in the ocean and thought it was dead. I took it apart and cleaned it with alcohol and changed the battery and it worked for me. The lights are a little dim but better than buying a new one because I didn’t get the insurance on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
Long story short,I need to buy a new cell phone, you can probably guess what happened to mine. I'm gonna look on Ebay I guess, any suggestions on what brand or model is good? I want nothing special. I have Verizon.

Thanks, Dave
greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike
Tried that, that was the long story. It would end up cheaper for me to buy a phone outright ($200), because I've had my phone less than a year. Customer service OK'd me an early upgrade so I could get a phone at the discounted price, come to find out, my plan would be upgraded $10 more dollars a month and i would loose the $100 credit I would get toward a new phone if I made it the 2 years.

I took the phone apart after it got wet and cleaned it out ,it's working ok. The problem is the charging connector is broken off inside and warranty won't cover it because the sensor in the phone shows it got wet. Guess I'll take it apart and try to solder it. Seems that phones on Ebay are running $200 also.
My other option is to pay the $175 early cancellation fee and go with another provider, don't want to do that though.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
redneck24
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L
how do you like it ? is it rugged enough ? I opted for the i760 for the bigger display . The i560 was my second choice .
love the i560, im a mechanic and destroy phones, this one is can take a beating

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Jimbo

Fishaholic, another option is to foind someone else who upgraded and still has their previous phone and it's in good condition. Go to Verizon and tell them you want your number activated on that phone. Use that phone until your time's up for an upgrade.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Fishaholic, another option is to foind someone else who upgraded and still has their previous phone and it's in good condition. Go to Verizon and tell them you want your number activated on that phone. Use that phone until your time's up for an upgrade.
I'll try that. Does anyone here have one they want to part with?

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 09-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #13
Nebe

jimbo is right...however, you can do more.... go in there with a beater phone and sign up for a 2nd line on your plan then ask that the new phone for the 2nd line be transfered to your main line. bingo, you got a new phone and you have a back up line for one of your kids or wife.

it works
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
jimbo is right...however, you can do more.... go in there with a beater phone and sign up for a 2nd line on your plan then ask that the new phone for the 2nd line be transfered to your main line. bingo, you got a new phone and you have a back up line for one of your kids or wife.

it works
I'm not sure if that would work for me, my wife and I are on the (share) plan.
If I unleashed one of my teenagers on my plan, they would probably bankrupt me. LOL
I have my daughter on a prepaid plan so she can't go too crazy, keeps her working her little job though.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
my wife and I are on the (share) plan
Good thing, or she'd be the one throwing you into the pit of bankruptcy!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote