Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Duke41
got gas?

Ouch ouch wince ouch

Those of you that know me also know I could stand to lose a few pounds. So I decided to do it. I joined a gym and starting lifting weights like I was in college. 3x 10 reps etc. Well this 44 year old fat guy arms hurt so bad I can't lift them to brush my teeth or wash my hair. Thank God I can still reach my arse. My gols is to lose 50 pounds. I think Clammer would agree that is a good start. Anyone else trying to shape up. If so what are you doing about it?
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I work out 4x a week, mainly with free weights and some cardio. My goal is to drop 25lbs, that would put me back to 180, which is what I competed at in college as a powerlifter... I've been saying it for a while, still draggin my feet. I need to run more and eat less, especially at night (when I get home from fishing I'm always hungary. I need to learn to take a shower and just go to bed!!)

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Clammer

F ##$%^& I sure should / but I can,t get it to go /I can,t even almost stop getting all thia crap

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

gym whats that?

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Clammer

T/T for you its JIM

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

I used to be skinny and run and rock climb in high school. Now that I'm out of college and immensely lazy, I've gotten a ghetto booty and some other extra items attached to my body. Good luck, Duke, and someday I'll see you at the gym.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
outfished

yup, I'm switching from bud to bud lite.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Babe
I used to be skinny and run and rock climb in high school. Now that I'm out of college and immensely lazy, I've gotten a ghetto booty and some other extra items attached to my body. Good luck, Duke, and someday I'll see you at the gym.
I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waste
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up front
Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
hunan

hey duke, go a little bit easier at first. the older we get the longer it takes to recoup. you might want to try circuit training. you get a cardio and weight training workout at the same time and should take about a half hour. then i would use the rest of my time on a bike or stairmaster. you are trying to lose weight, not enter the mr. olympia. good luck. i envy you. i have a gym in my basement and you'd think i'd be down there everyday. nope!

no signature required.
hunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
I know your pain.
Just started back at the gym hardcore this week. My body isnt broken, but its definitely reminding me its been awhile.

My goal is to lose ~28lbs in 3 months.. ~70lbs by next summer... and ~100lbs overall.

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #11
hunan

bjs, do be careful. being too gung-ho at first could keep you out of work or in the hosp. i've seen it. gradually get back into the heavy weight, low-rep workout. are you at the raquetball club? i go to the rehab place there for my achilles. i'll be there at 12:30 today, probably on the elyptical by 1. i'll be wearing a yankees hat if you need a spot. see ya.

no signature required.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs
My goal is to lose ~28lbs in 3 months.. ~70lbs by next summer... and ~100lbs overall.
A Hundred Pounds.... I've seen pics of you on the board, where are you going to lose 100 pounds from......you don't look that big. Thats a lot of weight to lose.

I also have NO room to talk I could use to lose probably 50 or so (more on the "or So" side).

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #13
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunan
bjs, do be careful. being too gung-ho at first could keep you out of work or in the hosp. i've seen it. gradually get back into the heavy weight, low-rep workout. are you at the raquetball club? i go to the rehab place there for my achilles. i'll be there at 12:30 today, probably on the elyptical by 1. i'll be wearing a yankees hat if you need a spot. see ya.
I did goto Raynham Athletic for awhile way back, but it was too expensive. We go to South Shore in brockton now. My wife gets some crazy discount thru globalfit or something.

I honestly have no real interest in heavy weights. My goal is to tone. I was big all thru highschool and football. Time to deflate. My biggest problem is being in the IT field I dont move around that much. I think... might be wrong here... but think my goals are fairly realistic just given a ton of cardio and weights to tone... Maybe the 70lbs is a bit off given may.. but this time next year its possible.

My biggest goal is the 28lbs by the end of the year because I dont want to be over 300lbs when I turn 30.

Where am I going to lose it from? Well beleive it or not, Im 6'5 and weigh about 328.. - unless every scale I have ever stepped on it wrong. Noone EVER beleives that I am that big, even standing next to me... The height throws everyone off.

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
hunan

anything more than a pound a week is very tough. good luck and keep us abreast of you progress. walking the beach for the next 2 months should help.

no signature required.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #15
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

every good farmer keeps a roof over this equipment I've got a 6 pack,somewhere

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #16
Van
zoom

I've gone through that many times, but I learned my lesson.

START SLOW...give it a couple of weeks before moving up, the body appreciates it much more.

As soon as I pull the boat out of the water, back to the gym I go.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I got a Nordic trak it makes a great clothes hanger. Get a four year old they will run you into the ground. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote