Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Spot X

Well, despite the monster thread and debate, I've tried to keep my opinions to myself regarding the whole OTW thing (OK, so I made a couple of posts in the thread, I couldnt help myself )

I want to preface this by saying two things:
1. This all may be coincidental
2. I have MAJOR problems with only one of the spot burns in OTW, the rest are fairly well known, easy to find spots.

Last night my fishing partner (PIEMMA) and I arrive at one of the well known spots 'burned' in the article. Now last night was arguably one of the nastiest nights of the year to fish; sideways rain, 30-40kt gusts and surf that was hard to walk in let alone fish in, in short my favorite kind of weather. We fished out as far as we could into the surf, I managed to get onto my usual spot, and ended up having an OK night as far as the fishies went. The unusual thing about last night was the parade of people coming to and from the spot. I came out of the water to find no less than 6 people either fishing or standing around (all w/ headlights on constantly I might add). I didnt think much of it as this spot fishes well in rough weather and was one of the only spots fishable that night. What struck me was the fact that I didnt recognize anyone (odd) and also where everyone parked was exactly where the article said to park, as well as where they were fishing, which was basically right ontop of one of the X's on Steve's map.
Now any look at a map will tell you this is a fishy spot, it gets crowded all the time on weekends, but that last nasty weekend night we had (pre-article) I fished almost alone for several hours. Post article, an even sh!tier night (weeknight!) was packed.

Now I have to say several good points about the people on the beach, as there is a good chance they lurk or post and I dont want to be a spot nazi. LAst night was very tough conditions, the wind was against the tide very hard. Paul and I fish toggethor alot and and have a pretty good routine down and we managed to wrap leaders a few times. The guys all on spot X were respectful (or chicken ) enough to stay where they were. I never felt crowded even when I had to turn a light on to unhook a fish. When I came off the beach noone ran up and asked what I had been catching or using for a plug (it happens there!)

My personal feeling is that several of these spots are very easy to get to and fish, and will get more crowded because of the article. What does that mean for me? on nice pleasant light wind nights I cant fish there, it will be crowded, so I will have to go elsewhere. Just my 0.02, but anyone who thinks that the articles wont have an impact, I beg to disagree...
tight lines and happy fishing....
Bryan

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 09-27-2005 at 08:04 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND
Last night my partner (PIEMMA) and I arrive at one of the well known spots 'burned' in the article.
This just doesn't sound right

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
This just doesn't sound right

-spence
Bite me Jeff, trying to make a serious post for once...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
spence

It was a fine post...I had no serious response

-spence
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Bryan's comments are right on target. Although the presence of the "spot followers" didn't materially affect us last night. On a calmer night, it would have been a zoo. The only reason it was not was becasue we choose to fish the "edge" of what was fishable and these guys chose calmer more comfortable waters. I am certain they were skunked. The fish were 10 foot seas and you needed to got to them..

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
Nebe

but there were 40 lbers out there... mckenna said there wuz.

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Krispy

Quote:
mckenna said there wuz
Wow Eben, your backpeddling like a politician
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Nebe

look i defended him before i read the article only knowing that he wrote an article about a few spots in narraganset, but after i read it and realised how in depth he went, and from what i know about what he might have in the works for future months, i have lost all respect for what he is up to... I have zero respect for people who sell out. Yes he sold out.

so i guess i voted for it after i voted agianst it..

He was probably the most respected surfcaster in narragnsett until this article came out, now he is probably the most hated.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Krispy

look i defended him before i read the article only knowing that he wrote an article about a few spots in narraganset, but after i read it and realised how in depth he went, and from what i know about what he might have in the works for future months, i have lost all respect for what he is up to... I have zero respect for people who sell out. Yes he sold out.

so i guess i voted for it after i voted agianst it..

He was probably the most respected surfcaster in narragnsett until this article came out, now he is probably the most hated.
---------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I was just surprised how quickly some turned on him, after vehemently defending him here. Though I did gain new found respect for a couple guys who posted their opinions without regard to the social aspects of whom they fish with.
Personally, though never having met or fished w/ McKenna, I still respect the work he has done in the past for Rhody anglers, as well as his personal accomlishments and certainly dont hate him for making a fleeting mistake.
You've fished with him some, so your able to judge more strongly, if he's a sellout to Narr., that sucks
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
look i defended him before i read the article only knowing that he wrote an article about a few spots in narraganset, but after i read it and realised how in depth he went, and from what i know about what he might have in the works for future months, i have lost all respect for what he is up to...

so i guess i voted for it after i voted agianst it.. .
But one thing I can't understand, and I am not starting something here,I just don't get this part, You said someone read it to you over the phone and you were still not pissed about the article, yet once you got it and read it yourself suddenly you hate the guy?? I really don't get that nebe. Can you explain?
sorry for the hijack

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

What I dont get is that a few months before in OTW, there was a 4 page article on fishing PJ light. It went into more detail (hence the 4 pages) than Steve's article. Why wasnt anyone upset about that?
Steve works in a tackle shop, obviously he knows the impact of his article, I truly do not think its a big deal and I fish 4 of teh 5 spots he mentions.
Everyone, regardless of skill level, commitment, expensive tackle, knowledge has a right to fish any of these spots, whenever they want. The serious bass fisherman do not have anymore right to these spots than total googs.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

RIJimmy:
You missed the point....at least the point Bryan and I were making. I don't care where anyone fishes. I've done this long enough so I have seen the sharpies come and go. The point is the article brought increased pressure on certain spots. This leads to problems with the public because of litter, parking, peeing, noise etc.
Steve wrote an article on PJ. So what? You ever have a problem with crowds at PJ? No, because it's a tough place to fish and you have to work for your fish. Besides, it's public access with lots of public parking. Try to fit more than 2 trucks at the private access to the A-Frame. Different story.
So, let's open the Kimona to every good spot that has limited access and throw the entire RI surf fishing scene into a real mess. How about you start with your 5 favorite spots and give directions to everyone and include where to cast and what to use and how to fish it.
And to quote you "Everyone, regardless of skill level, commitment, expensive tackle, knowledge has a right to fish any of these spots, whenever they want. The serious bass fisherman do not have anymore right to these spots than total googs."

So that's my point.....

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim, what he said...
I had NO problem with them being there, I never felt crowded etc.. I just wanted to make a point that I felt the article brought more attention/people to that spot...
Also, I bet that the weekend after the PJ article came out, there were more people there...
The total googs have as much right to fish wherever they want, you're right... but in my opinion they shouldnt have detailed info handed to them on a silver platter... earn your spots/stripes is all I ask.. god knows I have/still am earning mine...
Bryan

Bryan

Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #14
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Jim, what he said...
... earn your spots/stripes is all I ask.. god knows I have/still am earning mine...
Bryan
My feelings exactly. Allot of us work hard for our info. It's a slap in the face when it's given away by someone who knows better.
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
choggieman

And to think we get ridiculed for being upset over the article! I guess the proof is in the pudding. There is and will be an influx of new faces in those 5 spots and most of the other spots on the shore between goose and nap. Piemma and rirockhound are just affirming what many of us feared..........Thanks guys. I have seen many a new face with a 5 gallon bucket and a lantern at a place very near one of the spots mckenna mentioned, so the effect will be felt in other areas near to his 5 spots.
choggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #16
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choggieman
Thanks guys. I have seen many a new face with a 5 gallon bucket and a lantern at a place very near one of the spots mckenna mentioned, so the effect will be felt in other areas near to his 5 spots.

That is to be expected this time of year. Fall brings the White Bucket Brigade out in force. Always has. I never used to fish before Labor Day back when I was a card carrying member.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
spence

Quote:
... earn your spots/stripes is all I ask.. god knows I have/still am earning mine...
Bryan
I think this really is at the root of it all. How many of us had a grandfather or father teach us how to fish, without ever really giving much direct information...they led us and with their help we really learned (earned) on our own.

It's really about instant gratification anyway and cheap thrills. The vast majority of people don't care about being a good surfcaster, they just want to catch the fish.

People have the freedom to do what they want, but if your aim is to help preserve the tradition, there's nothing wrong with a little protectionisim. Just keep away from my spots

-spence

Last edited by spence; 09-27-2005 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
I think this really is at the root of it all. How many of us had a grandfather or father teach us how to fish, without ever really giving much direct information...they led us and with their help we really learned (earned) on our own.

-spence

Or learned it all on there own. My father is a great man, but DAMN why couldn't he have fished??!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I guess I still dont get it.
PIe, I'd gladly post my favorite spots, but I cannot honeslty say anyone would catch fish there.
I'm 99% sure I know where spot X is, based on what you described. I had my best night in the surf there 2 years ago. Since then, nothing special.
I really cant debate this becasue I dont feel strongly about it. Most spots I fish, like PJ, have lots of parking and access. They hold good fish, although I dont catch any, and yet I'm alone 99% of the time.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Whats with the "white bucket" comments? I carry my eels in one, where do you carry yours? Waders?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim, again, my point was ONLY that the article brought more pressure to the spots, thats it...
I carry my eels in a soft cooler/lunch bag thing...

Bryan

Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #22
Krispy

mesh eel bag, mayonaisse jar w/ strap, small soft-sided cooler.
A bucket is kinda big for a dozen eels, eh?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I ice em wth 2 buckets, one with holes in it draining the water. been doin it for years, my dad did it for 30 before me.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #24
bart
Red Eye Jedi

comparing PJ to the spot bryan is referring to is like comparing apples to oranges. Pj can support 5 times the number of people the other spot can.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I wasnt comparing the spot I was comparing the article.
So, the rule should be, dont write about spots with limited access, only write about spots with large parking lots.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #26
SeaWolf

continuing on from what's been said in this thread and the otw one, is this the beginning of what is to come from magazines such as otw, the fishermen, nor'east, etc.? are they asking for these types of articles to please a certain population of angler and not caring about the other caveats that may now arise? if so, i think it is poor judgement. in this day and age it is also the responsibility of these magazines to look out into all these msg boards (local ones for the region) for what is said, especially when they are the focus. also, anglers need to send their comments in. how many that were upset with the article still have not sent an email to otw editors? if not, dont complain. if you did, good for you and you may be part of the difference if one is decided.

while some say that they have seen more anglers fishing at spot x or z listed in that article, imagine seeing spot j or w or s that was hot the last 2 nights being posted continuously in report areas by one or several anglers. imagine seeing those day-late, dollar-short anglers now coming down asking where to cast and how it was as they heard about it on the internet. how does that taste? and i'm supposed to open my log book to them? you have a rod, there's the water, learn like the rest of us and learn to fish, not catch. you may just earn some respect from those around you as well.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #27
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Jimmy I keep them in a 3way bucket for transport also but when I get to the area I am fishing, they go in a soft sided cooler with a frozen plastic ice block. Then you can just throw this on your shoulder. Better mobility than having to carry a bucket around.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:32 PM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Hmmm, I like that T, may have to give it a shot.
I have a little soft side cooler I can use too, the eels dont sufficate with the lid closed?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #29
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf
continuing on from what's been said in this thread and the otw one, is this the beginning of what is to come from magazines such as otw, the fishermen, nor'east, etc.? are they asking for these types of articles to please a certain population of angler and not caring about the other caveats that may now arise? if so, i think it is poor judgement. in this day and age it is also the responsibility of these magazines to look out into all these msg boards (local ones for the region) for what is said, especially when they are the focus. also, anglers need to send their comments in. how many that were upset with the article still have not sent an email to otw editors? if not, dont complain. if you did, good for you and you may be part of the difference if one is decided.
I do a lot of writing for Nor'east, and I can tell you that they are not soliciting these types of articles. OTOH if someone throws that kind of manuscript "over the transom" they are unlikely to turn it down. Like it or not, it does provide valuable information to a lot of their readers. You are right on with your comments about making your views known to the publishers. Nor'east has its own website at Noreast.com where you can post your comments, or you can write or call them directly. Either way you opt to go, they (and I) will appreciate hearing your views. One thing puzzles me, and this is aimed at everyone, not just you. Why don't guys get pissed off when a tackle shop points out the places to go, why single out the print media?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Mike, I think the print and www are more wide spread, and as far as bait shops, I dont tell em nothing
I have known shops to give general info only on well known spots, but thats that shops I go to at least...

Bryan