Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Conservation Issues and Notices

Conservation Issues and Notices A new location to post Conservation Issues and Notices in place or or in addition to discussions on the Main Stripertalk Forum

Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

So what's next.....

Where does 50 miles of Benzene end up.....what is going to be the outcome of this...Contaminated fish? Wildlife? Green and orange glowing animals? 50 miles of this just boggles the mind. Headed for Russia next.

A SECOND spill in another river according to this article.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051127/D8E4P7380.html
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
It is man himself who will destroy this planet and render it uninhabitable....not with nuclear weapons and the like but with plain, careless ignorance and stupidity!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
spence

No Larry, I was listening to Rush Limbaugh just last week and he said very clearly that GOD created this planet and that man could not destroy it.

So, don't worry be happy

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

It just boggles my mind to see this kind of destruction. I can't believe there hasn't been major fish kills etc. Maybe there is but no-one has said anything about it so far. Benzene is a pretty nasty chemical.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Raven

Thumbs down its a

chernobil of the sea event....

at least oil makes tar when mixed with sand...

but benzene OMG anythings possible
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Anyone know WHAT benzene does in water? Prob not water soluble? Like pcb's?

I feel bad for my kids. This is the world they are inheriting. Sad.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Lets see what I can remember out of my @ss

Benzene is an Aromatic Hydrocarbon; left over from burning petroleum and from some manufacturing (plastics?)

Basically it's a D-Napl (Dense non-aqueous phase liquid) I think it sinks in water and yeah Scott, like PCB's I dont think they are soluble in water
Nasty stuff; it's a known carcinogen (cancer causer)... some colleages that do ground water geology have studied this stuff..

Noone quote the above, I may be off on a few things...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
spence

That sounds about right...if memory serves me correct, chemical oxidation with Fenton's reagent could really accelerate site remediation using subsurface injection wells.

So it can be cleaned up, although the size of this spill would be tremendously expensive. I'd be curious to see the number of samples necessary for a direct push, or field gas chromatograph study. It's got to be huge...

-spence
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
fishnfriar

From a Material Safety Data Sheet - Benzene has a Specific Gravity of .88 with water at 1.0, so it will float on the surface of the river. It is slightly soluble in water, 0.18%. Therefore, it should act much like a gasoline spill on water- mostly evaporate over time - flammable under the right conditions. This is a huge spill and the cold temperatures won't help evaporation, but long-term it should not be a huge disaster. If they had their act together, they could be using floating booms and skimming it off the water. Not very likely in China, I'm afraid.
fishnfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #10
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I read somewhere they were skimming it with charcoal in homemade bamboo grates. that in itself is pretty scary if all they can do is hand skimming?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #11
baldwin

Whether it's water soluble or not does not affect toxicity. Plenty of water-soluble chemicals are very harmful. The trouble with PCBs being non-water soluble means that you don't piss it back out, it accumulates in fatty tissues like reproductive organs and nerve tissue.
Water-soluble chemicals can still damage the hell out of your cells and tissues, but you then rid yourself of them.
PCBs, because they are fat soluble, bioaccumulate. That means there only has to be a little bit in the water to really screw us. Each little plankton absorbs a little bit. If a silverside eats 200,000 plankton, the PCBs from them accumulate in his fatty tissues. If a striper eats 5,000 silversides, it absorbs the PCBs from each of them, and stores it in her fatty tissues. Therefore,the concentration of PCBs in that bass you eat is MUCH higher than the concentration in the water. Many thousands of times higher.
You can minimize your PCB intake by: skinning the fish, since much of the fat is in the skin; grilling it. Much of the left-over fat will melt and drip out of the fish.
Water-soluble chemicals may still cause cancer if they damage the genes responsible for regulation of cell division. They may also cause mutation leading to birth defects in developing embryos.
To finally answer your question, though, Benzene is a non-polar molecule, and therefore not water soluble. That explains the long slick in the water. If it was soluble, it would have diffused into the water, and not have been detectable after a short time.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:02 AM   #12
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177599,00.html

Another town shut down. Headed for Russia
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
baldwin

China is an environmental nightmare. In their mad rush toward industrialization and modernization, theyve made the process cheaper and faster by ignoring control of effluents and environmental damage.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwin
China is an environmental nightmare. In their mad rush toward industrialization and modernization, theyve made the process cheaper and faster by ignoring control of effluents and environmental damage.
so was the united states when it advocated the use of DDT....and when we finally stopped using it... we started allowing south american countries to use it instead and then imported their food to the USA.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

US "experts" going there now.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/06/D8EAT5C0F.html
Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051207/...china_spill_dc

Wang had been quoted as saying that the accident would not cause widespread pollution. In fact 100 tonnes of cancer-causing benzene compounds spilled into the Songhua river which provides drinking water for the 9 million people of the city of Harbin. Tap water supplies had to be shut off for nearly a week.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #17
1tym

I wonder what kind of fish he is fishing for
1tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #18
baldwin

As a more developed and politically conscious nation, we have minimized descriminatory pollution, and share our environmental damage with all peoples, regardless of religion, race, or creed. The greenhouse effect can be shared and enjoyed by a world united!
Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #19
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Still going now 110 miles long.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/21/D8EKP1981.html

Guangzhou province now has a cadmium slick... I believe this is where much of China's commerce center is. REAL nasty stuff.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/1....6uihclwy.html
Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #20
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Chinese officials

I read that the government took the local police captain away because he didn't keep the locals from the water as quickly ashe should have and did not institute any evac....I think getting taken away in China is really being taken away.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #21
spence

How in the hell does someone "accidentially" dump cadmium into a river?

-spence
Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #22
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Cadmium

Spence is cadmium solid or liquid?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #23
baldwin

Cadmium is a heavy metal. It can be bonded with other molecules in liquid form, just like others. It's toxic, like lead and mercury. We get it into the environment via factory emissions. Here in Connecticut there is an advisory on eating venison liver due to high cadmium concentrations. It apparently bioaccumulates like other heavy metals.