Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Spray Booths

Looking for spray booth ideas...can anyone recommend any store bought spray booths or post pics of any home made jobs? Thanks for the help!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Labrador1

Whoops - Larry, I'll send you a PM

Last edited by Labrador1; 12-27-2005 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: I'm an idiot
Labrador1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
Sudsy
On the Hook

Parts:
1 Rubbermaid "Under the Bed" storage container. I only recommend using Rubbermaid products for any application that might involve drilling or cutting holes. The other brands all seem to have a tendency to split while you're drilling them.

1 section of PVC fence rail, the kind with the 2 baffles inside with 2 end caps.
It only comes in 9' sections but I think the leftover could be cut into pieces for plug storage

4" flexible dryer vent hose,
One rubber pipe cap that fits snugly inside the hose
One piece of round sheet metal duct to fit through the wall.

ignore the holes in the back of the piece of white fence, if I were to build it again they wouldn't be there.

To power the booth I used an old box fan unit out of a furnace.

6 3"x1" strips of sheet metal

HVAC Filter material

Duct tape

Pop Rivets

Silicone Caulk

Small piece of plywood

Foam board insulation

First cut the fence rail to size and attach the end caps with a thin bead of caulk. You want it to be long enough to span the full distance in which you'll be hanging plugs in the Rubbermaid.

Take your strips of sheet metal, drill a hole about 1/3 inch from the end corresponding with the size of the pop rivets. Using a vise or pliers bend the strip into a C shape. This is going to act both as a washer for the pop rivets and as a clip to hold the filter in place. (you'll have to unbend it a little when you're inserting the pop rivets)

Lay a substantial bead of caulk about 1' from the edge of the fence piece and place the Rubbermaid container on top of it. Drill and pop rivet it in place with the strips of metal as shown in the photo

You'll notice the 3 screws on the bottom in the rear, they're attaching a piece of old hockey stick that's just the right thickness to hold the container level

Using a 1 1/4" hole saw in your drill, drill a series of holes through the Rubbermaid container and the center section of the fencing.

Cut a rectangular hole as large as possible through the rubber pipe cap and the center section of the fence piece. Attach the rubber pipe cap with 4 pop rivets. You don't need to caulk this as the rubber seals itself.

Using a drywall circle cutter if you have one, or just a keyhole saw if you don't, cut a hole through the wall that snuggly fits the sheet metal tube. Cut 1" slits in the end of the tube and bend them out to form flanges. From the outside slide the tube through the wall.

I take no responsibility if cutting a hole between the garage and the inside of the house goes against any local fire codes

Slide the flex hose over the rubber pipe cap and the metal tube, it should be very snug. Seal it with duct tape.

Part 2 tomorrow

"I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries,
and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am"..... Crash Davis
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 AM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

eff that...

spray booths should exaust "all " fumes outside the cave.
not recirculate them in the shop vac.
and then blow them back inside

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

been eyeing these for a while Larry ..
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Paasche-Hobb...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEW-JC-Metal-Fab...QQcmdZViewItem

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Tagger...sudsy has the right idea,,plastic box, but you can use a bathroom ceiling fan that take's 4"flexable dryer hose and run it 20 plus feet to where you need to go without losing any power at the end of the pipe..it has the same fin's in the fan as do the dust collector's..motor is outside of the unit and so it never come's in touch with the paint particles......I use one in my office[playroom] to clear the room of gases/paint/thinner/smoke and old fart smell's...the thing suck's/clear's a room 18x12 in no time.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Striperhound

Larry, I just picked up one off of ebay for short money. The unit I picked up was a Microlux 15'' x 20" standard spray booth. I found these on the web @ micro-mark.com Item # 82427. They list for the high 200 dollar range. I was able to pick one up on ebay with a Iwata BCS Eclipse airbrush and hobby compressor for $250 total. Micromark does have them available just check out ebay as well for deals. I am going to set mine up this weekend and will snap a picture for you.
Striperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Sudsy
On the Hook

Double post

Last edited by Sudsy; 12-28-2005 at 11:07 AM..

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am"..... Crash Davis
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
Sudsy
On the Hook

Part 2

Out in the garage, cut a piece of plywood larger than the fan unit and cut another hole in the middle to match the metal pipe coming through the wall. Place a bead of caulk around the flanges of the metal tubing and screw the plywood in place being sure to hit the studs. The plywood should be tight against the flanges pinning the pipe in place

Screw the fan unit to the plywood and place a bead of caulk around the edge to seal.

I used foamboard insulation to cover the fan unit and keep what little heat I have inside my office. Just cut to fit and put it together with duct tape. You can either remove it when the unit's running or cut flaps that you can open up.

Put a strip of filter material over the holes in the Rubbermaid and bend the metal strips over to hold it in.

To hold the plugs I used a variation of the epoxy drying system I used in the garage. One side has a slow turning motor with a sewing machine foot pedal to move the plugs as needed

The other side has a ball bearing swivel attached to a cup hook using a piece of rod with hooks bent onto each end. The plugs are just daisy chained together using the same hooked rods.

Both end pieces are held onto the bench by clamps. The entire unit can come apart and be stored inside the Rubbermaid.

Sooner or later I'm going to get my hands on an old computer power supply and fan and will rig this thing to remove all the epoxy fumes as it's curing. The fan unit attached now draws much more air then is required and would suck all the heat out into the garage (which would not be a good thing).

The curing plugs are be protected from dust simply by putting the top on the Rubbermaid container.

THIS IS NOT FIREPROOF - it's only used for spraying water based acrylics.

The fan is 3' from the garage door. During warm weather the garage is left open to vent, in cold weather flexible pipe vents it under the garage door. Another way to do it would be to use a portable assembly that fits in a window. (wouldn't work for me as it would be blowing paint dust right on our tomato garden).

I've been using it for two years now and so far I'm very happy with it.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Sudsy
On the Hook

Here it is in operation. An undercabinet kitchen flourecent light on top of the Rubbermaid gives a great diffused light to work by.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Looking for spray booth ideas...can anyone recommend any store bought spray booths or post pics of any home made jobs? Thanks for the help!
This link is informative http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutor...D=23&CurPage=1

although the recommended blowers run @100-120 bucks.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Excellant post Sudsy

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
Tagger...sudsy has the right idea,,plastic box, but you can use a bathroom ceiling fan that take's 4"flexable dryer hose and run it 20 plus feet to where you need to go without losing any power at the end of the pipe..it has the same fin's in the fan as do the dust collector's..motor is outside of the unit and so it never come's in touch with the paint particles......I use one in my office[playroom] to clear the room of gases/paint/thinner/smoke and old fart smell's...the thing suck's/clear's a room 18x12 in no time.
Once and for all ,,,"Can you use a bathroom cieling fan ?" or a "stove hood fan" .. Thats why I think about just buying a unit all made.. Usually in these discusions somebody chimes in ,,( You'll Blow Yourself Up !!!!) ,,,Explosion proof,, blah blah blah... what the skinny for real.. pretty impressive it sux up your farts though ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
Sudsy
On the Hook

Simple, you spray water based materials they don't go boom - you spray solvent based materials they might go boom.
Boom is bad.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Tagger.. I confess..I've done everything your told not to do ten fold then some and I'm still here...........lucky? I think not....you'd need such a HIGH volume of fumes or paint in the air with an open flame before you blow...what your spraying out of a can for a few squirks is well dry before it even hits the floor....we're talking basement builder's here not HAB's or Salty or beachmaster etc. who make clouds of dust when spraying gal's of finish in one sitting....the sky isn't falling.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #16
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

thanks .. I like using rattle cans for base coat,, fumes make me dizzy,, I don't mind really but gotta think of the family. Oh and my furnace went out this winter and its only 1 1/2 years old,, had to replace a part .. said something about dust .

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger
,,( You'll Blow Yourself Up !!!!) ,,,Explosion proof,, blah blah blah...:
`Ediie, isn't that what you told me when i came up with my lame brained shop vac scheme

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
Striperhound

Larry, Here is mine I set up last night. Downdraft vented outside with 4 inch dryer hose. Have not sprayed with it yet, this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spray booth.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	13334  
Striperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #19
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Simple, you spray water based materials they don't go boom - you spray solvent based materials they might go boom.
Boom is bad.
Now I have to go change my pants!! This is funny
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Here is my spraybooth I finished today. I will only be doing acrylics. Very economical, cheap, and easy to make.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sprayside1.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	13341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray1.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	13342  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sprayfront1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13343   Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayfront3.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	13344  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The bathroom fan I used. I put a furnace filter over it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fan1.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	13345  

Old 12-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The exhaust from the fan to the out of doors. Works Pissa. Hope this helps. Very easy to construct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exhaust1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	13346   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaustvent.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	13347  

Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #24
Bernzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
Here is my spraybooth I finished today. I will only be doing acrylics. Very economical, cheap, and easy to make.
Nice Paul, That's the ticket!!!!!

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Awesome Paul. Machinist perfect work as usual,

" Choose Life "
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #26
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Wrap that electric wire and plug with plastic wrap (food wrap) before you start painting. Should you need to work on it you can simply remove the plastic wrap and any over spray goes with it.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #27
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Jeeze... no more multi-colored snots for you guys.... one question, why do you have to vent it outside if the filter is collecting all the paint? Why not just send it down under the bench? No noxious or harmful fumes associated with acrylics seems like a futile extra step maybe not....

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman
Jeeze... no more multi-colored snots for you guys.... one question, why do you have to vent it outside if the filter is collecting all the paint? Why not just send it down under the bench? No noxious or harmful fumes associated with acrylics seems like a futile extra step maybe not....
My theory is that you might not want to breath it, It may not be proven bad yet but I don't trust any suspended solids. Besides which if the filter looks like that what do your lungs look like? But they are your lungs...

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishercat
My theory is that you might not want to breath it, It may not be proven bad yet but I don't trust any suspended solids. Besides which if the filter looks like that what do your lungs look like? But they are your lungs...
That agrees with Fishingfreak's posts, saying the body is made up of alot of water, and water bound stuff might not be eliminated as other chemicals are via the liver etc. Better safe than sorry.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #30
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Dave my personal reason is I have worked in a machine shop for nearly 30 years and have probably breathed in way too much crap into my lungs. I look at the exhaust fans at work and think holy crap imagine what my lungs look like. I don't need or want any additional pollutants, no matter how safe they say they are. Like Dave above said better safe than sorry. Paul