Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
fishsmith
DDG-51

alternatives to wire/leadcore

hello all,
I've got plenty of conventional boat rods/reel, but I don't think any are beefy enough to hold wire or lead core (the reels are penn 209's/185 and and a mitchel riptide all with the penn long beach rods).
I plan on using 15lb big game line on all rods like I did last year, I would like to get deeper when I troll though, are there any suggestions as to what type of trolling weight should be used,and how far back that weight should be from the lure (say a tube and worm).

Thanks, I hope to meet some of you this weekend.

-Jim
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
Scotch Bonnet
USA

I would go with a drail. Also Manns Strech minnow gets down 25 ft. plus. They also have a new Strech thats half soft plastic that looks killer.
Scotch Bonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Fishsmith
I personally don't trool with nothin under 25 Lb test. lost to manny lures that way.
The drails that scotch mentioned are a great alternitive to Lead Core they run 3/8 oz up to atleast 6oz .
the size would depend on desired depth you want to reach, speed of boat & current and lure type. I usually set the drails 2 1/2 '-3' up from lure. If using a Tube & worm rig I set it right on the tube
mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:06 PM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

mike and scotch thanks for the input. I'll give that shot this year.

there going to be here real soon.

thanks again -Jim
Old 03-23-2002, 12:10 PM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

Here is what I done learnt

Drails:
rather flat sinkers, with beads and swivels attached at each ends, are still used by some anglers trolling deep lures and baits for fish such as striped bass, blues, even jacks and small tuna. Drail sinkers usually are fitted in the fishing line, between the leader and the terminal end of the line leading to the reel.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

i agree with mikecc i rarely troll anything less than 25# test. I use a homemade downrigger out of a window sash weight and a downrigger release clip on the bottom of the sash. I let the lure out and when I think there is enough line out i attach the line to the release clip and lower the weight down to the desired depth with thin rope to cut down on drag. when the fish hits, the release clip lets go and your fish is on and all you have to do is pull up the weight. just another alternative for you fishsmith.
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 08:55 PM   #7
Scotch Bonnet
USA

Mr Kav, where do you secure the weighted line, to a cleat? And how do you keep it away from the prop?

Last edited by Scotch Bonnet; 03-29-2002 at 09:02 PM..
Scotch Bonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

SCOTCH BONNET, I TIE IT TO THE EYE HOOKS ON THE STERN OF MY BOAT. I HAVE A SWIM PLATFORM THAT MY MOTORS ARE MOUNTED TO AND THE LINES RUN ON THE SIDES OF THE SWIM PLATFORM. THE LINE RUN FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM THE MOTORS.
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote