Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
mrstriper

Mitchell 488

Anyone have info on this spinning reel...heavy but solid...found one at a yard sale for ten bucks with a daiwa 9 foot surf rod... curious about the reel...Thanks

a fifty before I go!!!!!!
mrstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Great reel. There is nothing more simply designed inside--not even a Penn 704. Run 20# mono on it and you'll never have to worry about getting spooled. It has to hold somewhere around 350 yards of it. I have the slightly smaller 386 and 486. The 400 series (486 and 488) have a 4:1 retrieve and brass gears. The 300 series has a pot metal main gear and a 3:1 retrieve.

Don't overfill the spool. The thing holds enough line that you can be conservative. Line has a way of finding its way between the spool and the cup and wrapping around the shaft if you go too high on the spool

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
mrstriper

Thanks for the info... The bail clicks over with a sound that could cut off your finger

a fifty before I go!!!!!!
mrstriper is offline   Reply With Quote