Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
gregory2327

Dead spots

Here is my noob question of the day(and yes I realize there are many opportunities for fun with this question, but I am serious).

When surf fishing is there a sign that a spot might be dead?

I know that when I am going freshwater fishing for largemouth bass, if I get bit by sunfish or other bait fish, the area is dead. I have either caught all the largies, or there just isn't any there. The baitfish aren't brave enough to bite with largies in the area, so if I get hits from them, then the largies have moved on.

Are there similar signs while striper fishing? I went the other nite during dead low tide There was no action on my eel and the other guys throwing small chunks or something were catching eels (huge ones at that). Should I have gotten the hint and moved on?
gregory2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

When the Bluefish are so thick you can't get to the bass below....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
baldwin

"Dead spots" can be awfully hard to determine. A spot that seems "dead" may suddenly turn on when the light levels change, you change lures or presentations, the tide changes (even slightly), wind changes, or fish push bait into the area. Certain areas are better in certain conditions, though. If you know the spot well, are in the right conditions for that spot, and work it thoroughly with several different lures and presentations, you may be better off moving. But...sometimes fish move in just after you leave, and you hear the next day "you shoulda been there..."
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
scoobe
West Siiiiiiiiide

The scenario you describe from freshwater doesn't quite apply to salt. The main reason being largies, for the most part, stick to a particular location/structure/area for a while - they tend to mark out territories. Stripers are fish always on the move. A 'dead spot' can blow up all of a sudden!

Lookin for my big'un!
scoobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Beach ,,dead spot 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour at top of high and bottom of low unless your near an inlet ,,even then the bite is not the same as when the waters moving . Along with dead spots there are windows (time in the tide) at certain spots when fishing is best . What time of year fishing is best some spots .Thats a lot of work and time (years) working an area to know it that well . This information is just general and there are always exceptions ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
gregory2327

Thanks for the perspective guys, as you can tell, I know nothing about the nomadic nature of stripers. I hope to learn over time.
gregory2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
Skitterpop

Dead Spots

My exwife found a vortex between my left ear and my right ear

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote