Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
steve
Steve "Van Staal"

V.S. 150 with bail

VAN STAAL-150 with bail -- Has anyone out there used this model? I need some feedback for store customers interested in this reel. We have sold a couple but haven't received any reports, either good or bad. Thanks
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
bobfishgerald
Guy who likes to fish

I got one about ten days ago and I have to say I it is AWESOME. I had never had a reel without a bail so I decided to go with the bail. It works very well and is very simple to operate. The anti-reverse is outstanding and I feel a much deeper connection with my plugs. I cannot compare it with other Van Staals because this is my first. I bought it to match an Lami Arra XSRA1083 which I think it does perfectly.
bobfishgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
steve
Steve "Van Staal"

Thanks- Do you use braid or mono?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Pete_G

I fished a test model VSB150S a good part of last fall and I've been using it from the boat this year. I've only used braid on it, 40# Power Pro.

It's a tough reel. They've moved the anti-reverse bearing into the handle so the engagement is much more postive and it's eliminated the flex in the drivetrain so it's likely this reel will be even more durable then the bailess models. You can even feel it when you fight fish.

Me being short the reel is often in the water and I fished it underwater intentionally a lot of time to see if any leaks would develop. Seems solid. Also I didn't rinse it off to see if any of the new parts were prone to corrosion. No corrosion.

The manual bail seems good, I haven't fallen on it or done anything like that but it feels strong. Functions like new as well despite the abuse and most importantly it has never flipped on me when casting.

I don't like the new style handle, but everyone else loves it. Feels good in the store, not so good in the water, but again that's just me.

I haven't fished it quite enough to know for sure, but the Titanium Nitride line roller seems to be holding up better, the old Ti only line roller on the bailess model probably would have had a barely noticeable groove by now.

I think that's it.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
bobfishgerald
Guy who likes to fish

I have it spooled with 20# Fireline. Works flawlessly.
bobfishgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
steve
Steve "Van Staal"

Excellent! Thanks Bob and Pete.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
steve
Steve "Van Staal"

Pete-- Is V.S. planning on making a 200 with bail in the future?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
pops02

Hi guys, Also, do you know if vs is coming out with the 150 with a bail, in left hand ? Thanks
pops02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Pete_G

Nothing definite for a bigger bailed reel but there's been talk about it. They've sold a LOT of bailed 100's and 150's though so I'm sure it's on their minds. There was some sort of issue with scaling up the current bail system for a 200, I can't remember the details though.

Pops, I haven't heard anything at all on a lefty bailed reel. There was talk of discountinuing the bailess lefty and then they finally ran a batch just a few weeks ago, so it's possible, but I doubt it. I think it would require some redesign and then another round of testing if the bail were to turn the other direction like the bailess one does.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
RoyL

Thanks , I too was looking into getting one.

offthehookfishing.com
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote