Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
mikegto

Fishing West Wall, East Matunuck area

I'm coming home for a funeral / visit and would like to get a report on the East Matunuck area for stripers and blues. Is parking still allowed across from Jim's Dock or at the State pier? Walking access up Beach Row? How's surf fishing looking for the rest of the month? I grew up fishing that area and would like to get my 4 year old son bit by the greatest sport in the world. He's ready to try now that he's watched so much OLN and local programs with Dad. How about skipjacks and tinker mackeral from the docks at Galilee? My grandpa, who'll be 89 this fall and has endured two shoulder and one cancer surguries in the past two years can no longer fish and is retired to the Berkshires. Sure would like to bring him a few fillets when I visit, as he's the one who turned me on to the sport. From the '60s to the early '90s he had a boat in Galilee and my fondest memories are surf fishing with him in the early mornings or heading out the breakwater to the East Grounds and Block Island. Also catching skipjacks at the dock while he washed down the boat. And sitting on the West Wall watching the sunrise at 5am. Or walking the beach as the fog begins to lift, listening for the smack/splash as the schools begin the morning feeding. Memories of all that are the best cure for the occasional bout of insomnia. So if anyone can give me a heads up on the local conditions, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
mikegto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
steve
Steve "Van Staal"

Mikegto-- forget the West Wall at this time of year. You would be better off surf fishing around the corner in gansett. Try for pt. jude light north to the narrow river after dark with live eels for the best shot at a fih. Not alot of blues around but there are some snappers ion the pond and up in the bay
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

If you want to get your son into some schoolies you could try at Monahan's Dock, CG House in Gansett and along the Seawall. Great Island Bridge Gallilee as well as inside some of the breachways and salt ponds. Use light stuff like the smaller storms in bunker color or pearl colored Queen Cocahoes 5" with small 3/8 - 3/4 OZ jig heads...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote