Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
G-Man
G-Man

Im a newbie...

I'm traveling to Jersey at the end of August from Minneapolis MN and I am looking to get into some Striper fishing. I would really love it if I could have some fun fishing from shore since I will not have access to my own boat.

Does anyone care to share some potential spots, lures, tactics, and or help hooking me up with some fish? I will be staying near Cape May and Avalon, I believe.

Here in Minnesota, I belong to an online network called Fishing Minnesota.com. When we speak about spots, tactics, and which lakes are hitting in the Metro area, we are very careful not to give away too much to those that do not respect the fishery. I am an avid angler and practice catch and release with just a few here and there going to the frying pan. I have not had much experience with surf fishing or saltwater fishing, but I have done it a few times. I understand if you are hesitant to give away any secrets, but I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Sluggoslinger

I'd check the FAQ's section. Also for what you'll spend on gear while you're here, you might be better off getting a charter. I know there are some charter captains on this site that WILL put you on fish.
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
G-Man
G-Man

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info...I am planning on looking into charters as well. However, I picked up a nice surf fishing rod on ebay and a reel. There are a plethora of lures that are somewhat reasonable out there that I may purchase. I think I can use these for Musky fishing back here in Minnesota so I do not mind spending a little money.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I have never fished in NJ so I can't offer you much info. Ordinarily fishing might be slow for bass in NJ in August but the way this year is going who knows... If you were heading to RI I'd take you surfcasting

I will say, take a few of your old reliable Musskie plugs - they do work and a lot of Striper plugs are related to Muskie stuff...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

Southern Jersey is beautiful.
I don't think the striped ones will be down that way then, they're ours till October
If you're near Ocean City, NJ - there is a nice park called Corsons Inlet that will give up blues and fluke. Get a minnow trap and use salami for bait in any of the marshes, you'll get more chubs (minnows) than you know what to do with.

Following the coast from OC to Cape May - any of the bridges that lead to the ocean will give up blues and maybe a weakfish. I had a blast casting a black swimmer, caught blues one after another. I don't remember if I was in Avalon or Sea Isle City.

This is the first time in 7years my family is not vacationing there, I miss it already.

Good Luck
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
G-Man
G-Man

Thanks for the info...

Sounds like my hopes of Stripers will not happen this trip. Oh well. would you care to tell me a little more about Blues and Weakfish? I would be greatful for any help you can give. A few suggestions on which are good for table fare and some cooking hints would not be disregarded. And if by some chance you make it to Minnesota for the Walleye, Northern Pike, Musky, Smallmouth, Largemouth,Steelhead, Stream Trout, Salmon, or Crappies, I would be happy to give any help I can. I fish them all, all over the State. Feel free to email me at grahamsmith@edinarealty.com.

I really appreciate the info.