Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Bigcat

bird hunting rant and rave

Day started off with me getting muscled out of getting to my area.
I know the EPO's got to be busy, but the guys that start hunting before shooting time really gets me mad.
Number Two rant. My dog is working a bird a guy comes up 15 feet behind me the bird goes up and the guy shoots the bird we were working, Grrr the clown missed anyway.
Now the rave, we go off hunting the dog gets birdy, real birdy out of the bush she comes with a cock bird in her mouth. well ok great job.
We move off to another area not 100 feet into the field she gets birdy up comes a hen 10 feet from me I don't shoot would be nothing left if I did. well the bird hits the ground must be wounded dog retrieves it . ok two birds have and have not fired a shot.
We continue on in the same field out she comes with another cock bird.
What a day three birds and I never fired a shot.
All the birds were given away and I never had more then two in my possession.
People got to do a better job of looking for downed birds.
Overall was a great day for watching my Lab work

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Good Dog.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Bigcat .My dog caught 3 today .I hate when that happens, and I shot 1 ,If you don't have a dog its hard to get them birds moving they been sitting tight. Someguys will stay close to you when you have a dog. Yah there is alot of idiots out there, Got rained on by some guys last week it was a little to close...........Were you in Rhody................

Last edited by JHABS; 11-18-2006 at 03:25 PM..

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Bigcat

JHabs, no I hunt down on the Cape, but I was thinking of Getting a RI licence to extend my season some.
Does RI stock WMA'S? I would have to find a few to hunt, must be some info on the web somewere?

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Duke41
got gas?

I don't know how you guys can stand hunting up this way. I gave it up. Let me tell you why. I lived in Texas for 5 years and they way it si done down there is the way to go. Most hunters go in on a lease. What happens is that you lease hunting rights for a particular area from a rancher or farmer for X amount. I use to pay 475 a year for 2,500 acres that held deer, turkey, quail and dove. I paid another 175 per year to hunt duck at another lease. The leases were shared by the members of your group only. They were gated with 2 locks one for the farmer one for us. If we left the gate opened and a steer got killed it was on us. We had a cabin on one site and slept outsied on the other. Some weekends I was the only guy at the lease.

When I moved back up here about 10 years ago. I went with a buddy and my dog Chester to a spot in Arcadia park in RI that was stocked with pheasants. It was opening day, what a specticle. A sea of dogs and oragned hats. It was crazy. guys fighting for postion and dogs sniffing each other. I left my gun and dog in the truck and sat down on a rock to watch the action. Kind of like sitting at a boat ramp to wacth the Googans. The birds were slaughtered in short order and "hunters" were arguing over who's kill it was. I left and went to the Maples for breakfast. I got home oiled the guns and put them away, sadly where they sit today 10 years later. .

Like my friend Brent for West Texas tells me "There's too many people and too little room up there".
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
ReelChitty

Send a message via AIM to ReelChitty
I am a young man I have been hunting with my father since I can remember and this year was by far the worst year for hunter edicate ever. People I talk says they cant believe how bad it has gotten over the past few years. Is it me or are people getting that damn greedy for a bird. Nothing pisses me off more then someone hunting over my pointers, what you going to do fight them all. Can only imagine how deer season is going to go.

" There's no way, no way you could have come from my gene's. When we get home I am going punch your momma right in the mouth." Sheriff B. T. Justice
ReelChitty is offline   Reply With Quote