Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
andy vaas

Question casting distance

Hi all. Is it true that a bait casting rod/reel will cast further than a spin casting setup? If so will it mean reaching more fish? I do alot of plugging from shore and get skunked alot so I'm looking to increase my edge any way I can. Thanks.--- Andy V.
andy vaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

In theory, or if you are a dedicated distance caster, yes, you can throw farther with a conventional.

However, for the average caster, braid has really levelled the playing field. Many people will find that they can cast farther using a spinning reel designed with a long, shallow spool, and 30-50# superbraid.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
SeaWolf

agreed. braid has leveled the field quite a bit. thinner braided lines of equal pound test of its mono conterpart has made throwing braid on a spinning reel more appealing for distance throwers. but, braided lines of equal pound test are easy to nick, sometimes harder to load, and can wreck your casting finger. you will see people upping there pound test they will use on braid vs mono for their reel. also, higher pound test in smaller diameters of braid as compared to mono has made people to increase the pound test they will throw. for rod builders (custom and production) this has yielded more broken rods and a change in rod designs, thus the composites, etc. some reel manufacturers also designed reels for longer casts. diawa is one that comes to mind.

will you catch more fish? if you are trying to reach an offshore bar or breaking fish you couldnt reach before, maybe. i've rarely had an issue w/ distance and catching fish. watch what others are doing and using as well.

typically, people that throw casting outfits in the surf are throwing larger baits, weights, and rigs, bottom fishing, and want to have an option to leave the reel disengaged, but a clicker on so a fish can run. only some baitrunners in spinning reels have this option. others like the ability to muscle fish in a rip w/ a casting outfit, heavy drags, and hvy lines.

the single hardest thing to learn with baitcasters in the surf is just that, casting for distance and power with heavy lures. i would suggest a copy of ron arra's distance casting book or dvd first. or, try out a friend's outfit. one side note, many baitcasters are not surf friendly and do not like being submerged in saltwater.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Well said.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote