Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Cape Cod Bike path

Soo...

the wife and I are heading over the canal for a weekend in late August, and are probably bringing our bikes. Not looking to ride all of it (40mi round trip?) but a ~20mile round trip is not overwhelming to either of us.

what we'd like to do, is park somewhere near the bike path early sat. morning, and then ride to a beach, hang out, ride back to the car and then check into the b&B in S. Yarmouth (Capt. Farris)

whats the best parking spot/access point for the bike path?
Any and all recommendations are great, our plans our not set in stone.
Also, what beaches (if any) can be accessed from the path. Pretty familiar with the area from Chatham to Provincetown from some work we did up there but dont know squat about the upper cape...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
ktugboat42

Go to either the Eastham visitors center or out to the Ptown visitors center. The canal is also a great ride just make sure you go upwind for the first leg so you have an easy doan wind ride back to your car.

Pete
ktugboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
NIB

Bourne Scenic Park/Campground..

On the mainland side the entrance is just east of the bourne bridge.Right turn at the first light past the rotary.Remember that is basically left as u come off the highway.Things are a little screwy up there...
If u tell em u wanna go fishing they might let u in.Or u can but a daily picnic type pass for 4 bucks I think.U park down by the water right against the gaurdrail adjacent to the bike path...They also have facilities.U can normally get a site there on weekends when it is not too busy.Tent sites (no hook-ups) are more readily available.
It's a nice place.I rest there in the daytime.
From there I would bet it is maybe 6 miles to the east end there is a beach adjacent to the entrance of the canal..
U'll pass Thousand steps,The Cribbins thats the wall with the birds painted on it,The Herring run,The Sagamore bridge and on the east end is pips rip.. amongst some of the notable area's along the way.U probably can download a map with pole# co-ordinantes

Last edited by NIB; 08-08-2007 at 04:33 AM..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thanks guys.
Any other good areas for biking on the way (i.e. woods hole/falmouth that area?)

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
blaruffa
In the Hole II

Falmouth Area

Shining Sea Bike Path, you can park on Depot street by the bus station and ride the bike path, It follows along the water and has a nice beach with sand plus a beach with small rocks.

Type Shining Sea Bike path in google you'll get some maps and parking info.

It is a nice flat ride.
blaruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Bry,

check this out, free parking spots are noted at the bottom

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/ccrt.htm

we parked at Nickerson State Park, it was convenient and easy. Its a great ride,

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thanks Jim.
Looks like the parking near Dennis at the trail head is closest to our lodging. Maybe we'll ride from there to Chatham and back. no beach but looks like a nice ride, and I love walking around chatham! favorite town on CC

Bryan

Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
tautog

In Chatham the selection and temperature of the beer is outstanding at Squires
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote