Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

New World Record Fluke

24#...damn!

This gal can fish. SHe also has the weakfish record.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?p=65426
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
EarnedStripes44

amazing fish
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
BW from AZ

nice fish. didnt realise where it was posted as i wouldnt have gone there if i knew. to many bad vibes.
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
MakoMike

Lots of questions about this one. Check out the discussion on Noreast.com. Seems like there are many more questions than answers.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Couple more going on over on SOL, too.

Check out the close-up pictures, especially of the eyes, and tell me that the fish hasn't been dead for 2-3 days.

That is one messed-up fish.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
diklarsen

i really dont think she is gonna get the record because the fish was mutilated and now there r rumors goin around that she left the fish outside and some animals ate it
diklarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

pics sure do look bad, something not right ....just hope it's not a witchhunt...remember al's bass.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Nice fish, I hope.

Did a gill net rip the throat open? If she really caught it, it lends a whole new meaning to doormat.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I know fluke are a pain in the ass in the boat re: thrashing etc.. but the eyes, gills, tail of that fish seem to scream dragger caught fish...

there is always a jealousy factor with potential records of big fish, especially popular species... maybe rightfully or wrongfully initiated...

Anyone see her 18lb/33" weakfish? I think Bob Moellers was 16lbs/36" and looked much fatter!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I know fluke are a pain in the ass in the boat re: thrashing etc.. but the eyes, gills, tail of that fish seem to scream dragger caught fish...

there is always a jealousy factor with potential records of big fish, especially popular species... maybe rightfully or wrongfully initiated...

Anyone see her 18lb/33" weakfish? I think Bob Moellers was 16lbs/36" and looked much fatter!
I've seen the weak. 33" weakfish do not weigh 18 lbs--period. One 33" striper out of a hundred will run 18 lbs, usually because it's loaded with roe. And bass are much heavier per inch than weaks. She caught that weak in August. Weaks spawn in the spring. End of story.

I don't think it's jealousy. Very few records generate controversy. I was around when Stetzko caught Bertha. No one questioned it, even though it wasn't a world record. It was still the largest bass ever taken from shore at the time, and a co-state record. No one questioned Bob Rochetta's 76. Most of the controversy over McReynold's fish is due to the fact that for whatever reason, he can't tell the story the same way twice (and just for the record, I believe he really did catch the fish). Rumors about this fish started the second it was weighed in--not weeks down the road. Add to that fact the little ditty about this being either her third or fourth record catch within a year. Even people who set out specifically to set records don't set 4 new ones in a year.

Here's another thing I found strange--she supposedly had to rip the fish's head almost clean off to get her jig out of its gills, but, by other reports, there was a stinger hook on the jig, too. Where was that if the bucktail was buried in the gills? And, the woman's a nurse at a local hospital. You mean to tell me that a nurse couldn't get a jig out of a fish without doing that to it? How the hell does she take an IV out of a patient's arm, or find a vein to insert one

Now, to top everything else off, it's apparently being claimed by her and her family that the fish can't even be inspected any more, because it was "ravaged" by animals when they left it out overnight in the cooler. The potential world record fluke, whose mount could be exhibited for cash, gets left out overnight on the back steps in a cooler that conveniently has the lid ajar so animals can feast on it

I tried to stay open minded on this, but it's just too much to swallow.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote