Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

plugging rod

What blank in the 11 to 11 1/2 foot range (graffite), not an Arra, but a Lami, would you all recommend for plugging (two to three oz.) from the beach.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

gsb 1321m has been good for that range. Will throw a little heavier too.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
i have that rod custom wrapped. soo happy i choose that one. i love it. and like luds said, it can throw heavier too.

Last edited by Gunpowder; 11-17-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: because i cant spell

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

11'-either the 132 1M or maybe one of the new SSU series of blanks. I've never used one of the SSUs and I'm not familiar with the blank characteristics. But, they are supposedly composite rods designed specifically to hold up to braid

11-1/2' you'd have to go glass, like a SB 136 2M for 2-3 oz. The graphite 11-1/2' from Lami is a beast--rated to 16 oz.

Or you could extend the 11'. But I really don't see a need for 11-1/2'

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I have an SSU blank, a 10'er
SSU 120 1 MH, very very simlilar to the GSB 120 1 M... great feel to it..

Also note;
The SSU series is the same 2nd generation graphite that is used in the Arra rods, as opposed to the 1st gen graphite used in the GSB's

Last edited by reelecstasy; 11-19-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
SeaWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelecstasy View Post
Also note;
The SSU series is the same 2nd generation graphite that is used in the Arra rods, as opposed to the 1st gen graphite used in the GSB's
not true. the SSU-series blanks use a new design in building the blanks. although a higher graphite modulus like the arra's, it uses newer technology than the arr'a or the gsb-series. the blanks will not "oval" when put under load like most blanks and are designed for braid or to handle the stress braid puts on blanks due to their low stretch.

the GSB1201M compariable blank in the SSU-series is the SSU1201MH, not SSU1211MH.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

TY, everyday is a school day!

Also note, RE is a surfcaster, not an graphite engineer, and was told this and he is also guilible...so if it is the same graphite as the arras how is it not 2nd gen graphite ?

also worth noting is I meant to write the SSU120 1 MH, not the 121 1 ...
RE bartends late into the morning and is often mentally challenged

I fish gsb 120 1 m spin
gsb 120 1 m conv
and ssu 120 1 mh(blue) spin

Last edited by reelecstasy; 11-19-2007 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
SeaWolf

reelecstasy, i wasnt trying to be hard on my response, but just correcting some of the information. a lot of people post blank numbers and many times that information is incorrect and sometimes can be mistaken for other models that are similar in number.

it's not 2nd generation graphite because graphite is graphite in most cases. how a blank is build can vary greatly from the materials, the methods, newer technology, etc. i am not an engineer either, but i try to learn as much as i can about a product before i speak on it. i spoke w/ a lami rep for quite some time about the SSU-series. i actually had one of the original SSU10801M blanks for testing when they first came out 2+ years ago. then, the blanks were a blue-colored finish over graphite. now, the blanks are a greenish-painted-type hue w/ some spackle in the finish.

when the arra series oiginally came out most surf casters were still using mono. braid was out, but not in the populations that it is today. people didnt change their methods, blanks/rods broke, warranties were in demand. many rod manufacturers introduced a composite line to help cushion the shock of braided lines. some had glass tip and graphite butts. more typically for their inshore/boat lineup than for the surf. the SSU-series is not like that, but does have glass impregnated in the blank to help absorb the shock of braid.

how will the SSU-series hold up? time will tell. i have 1 w/ my name on it for this year's winter project as well as others in stock. the SSU-series also offers another option to the customer now at least for lamiglas blanks.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thank you for the answers. MikeP I built one of those beats that can throw 16 oz's as a meat stick. It does handle that weight I can personally vouch for that. I will wade through this info and decide.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

I took no offense, no worries. I was serious about learning something new everyday. I have also spoken a length to reputable people regarding these blanks as well as the Arra series and I agree with most of what you say.

I have fished my SSU 120 1mh (yes blue) this year just about every trip out and so far it has held up great. I fish a VS200 on it with some great textured shrink tubing on the grips w/ a good sized doorknob butt. The ultimate walking stick...
Good luck with yours, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine...