Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Goose

Shed finds

My brother and some of his buddies and found some very impressive sheds the last couple years. Its a lot of leg work and determination, you can get pretty discouraged after a few attempts when coming up empty handed. Have any of you found sheds this year?

This afternoon I bumped into this guy laying around. I had been walking by him 40yrds away for the last 2 years. I think this maybe the buck I had a close encounter with during bow season but I can't be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack find 001.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	25667  
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Jenn

thats cool...but I dont think it technically qualifies as a "shed" ....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

thats cool. good find.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Rick Ackley

That is too kewl. I missed a big buck a few years back, and found his shed last Spring. Did not see hide nor hair of him this season though.
Rick Ackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Probably walked 10 miles this week looking. We have about a 1000 acres to cover and I have been following rub lines, bedding areas, food areas and their access trails. Nothing so far but the snow is finally starting to melt. Still close to 2 ft. in some areas. Great time of year to be out in the woods.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Found the first one today a 4 pointer. Finally! Followed a new path into some thick mayberries on the edge of a field and it was under one of the only pine trees. Just where it should have been. Couldn't find the match but the snow is deep and the briars are crazy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Antlers 004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	26368  

Last edited by tynan19; 03-15-2008 at 05:23 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Goose

Sweet...that's gonna be a nice buck next fall. Are you starting to plan your hunt for him? They say when a buck drops a shed he'll feel the imbalance on his head a try to shake off the other side. I found a nice set 15 yrds apart but thats the only time they where close. The sheds I've found and most of the shed hunters I know, never find the other side. imo, its as random as seeing a buck with one side during the hunting season, that second side can fall anywhere. A bucks home range is up to 5 sq miles but that study was done during the rut and probably in open deer country. imo...around here its smaller and because its winter sheds are often found in unlikely places. I found them very close to residential back yards. It only makes sense because at this time of year thats where deer feed and can be patterned, theres little or no pressure and deer are in survival mode.
Isn't finding a shed almost like walking up on your kill? It sure is rewarding huh??

In addition to shed hunting its great time of year to really look over the terrain thoroughly. I recently took down all my stands, touched them up w/paint and began hanging some for next year. hanging a stand correctly, trimming ect. takes time and sweat....you definiently don't wanna trample your woods in the fall for that old buck
Old 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Yes on the hunt. I havent in 7-8 years but I need to compete with my brother. Only problem will be the border of the conservation land. If you shoot a deer on private land and it runs into the conservation what is the legality of retrieval? My wife thought I was the biggest dork for getting excited but it felt great to finally get rewarded. Almost seems impossible to find one until it happens.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
InTheHole

Last week my wife took a 3 point shed away from the dog that she came trotting out of our back woods with, when I came home that night the dog came running up to me with the other side!! A matched set in just dropped condition. Go figure.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Can I borrow your dog? That is pretty cool. I see guys that buy dogs just to train them to retrieve sheds.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Goose

I think most dogs recognize sheds and will pick them up. My buddie gave me 1/2 an 8pt his mut found, better yet you can train hounds to do it. My daschund luvs the scent. I wouldn't have a pet running around the woods picking up ticks over sheds.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

That is what I would be worried about too. Wife called me last night to tell me a Buck ran across the road right in front of her car in the same area I found the shed. I asked her how she knew it was a buck and she said it still had a rack. What gives with that? She wasn't positive if it had both sides or not. So looks like I still have time.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
PaulS

Found these a few years ago. My wife uses them as decorations around the holidays.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deer antlers.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	26515   Click image for larger version

Name:	deer antlers 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	26516  
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Where they dropped together or did you have to search for the other? Never found the match to mine. Still have a lot of area to cover and wife saw a buck with a rack the other night.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
PaulS

My sheds were in my Dad's front yard about 10 feet apart. I noticed them across the lawn when I was driving up Christmas morning about 3-4 years ago.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote