Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-04-2001, 09:35 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

bulk manufacture outfit

Lets say I developed a hot plug and I want to get it manufactured in quanity. And lets assume I have the budget to have lots of 10,000+ made. Where is a good plastic injection outfit that could do it in the US or do you have to go to Asia to be price competitive? Got any names or contact info?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 12:19 PM   #2
jenty
Jersey Boy!

Sandman;

You could just send the Plug to me and I'll talk care of it for ya!

Whatever you do though, don't let BM get ahold of it. Hell!!! Don't even let him see it!

Johnny
jenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 02:03 PM   #3
10x10

Actually I know a little about this as i've already looked into it.Basically your looking at a fairly hefty chunk of money for molds.These have to be machined to very exact tolerances to produce the lures.Once you have your molds you can go to a manufacturer who has the machinery required to produce your lure bodies.It's pretty expensive unless you can get someone to do it as a favor.There's more to it something than just manufacturing.You got to sell it to.That means packaging,advertising,billing,etc..It's a lot of work as well.Just like any other job I'll bet.
10x10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 02:06 PM   #4
10x10

For a list of manufacturers of plastic injected items ,check out the Thomas Register at your local library.If it's made in the US it's in there.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:30 PM   #5
Tattoo

10X you hit the nail on the head. I went to school for CAD/CAM and some product design. Molds are BIG bucks to design and be effective. Marketing is a whole 'nother world.

Do you have an idea or are you just daydreaming?
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 05:20 PM   #6
10x10

Actually..I got a friend who made the molds for the DOA lures down in Florida.He also has a do it yourself plastic lure kit that uses a two part fast setting plastic called Alumilite.So far he only has two molds available with the kit.Ones a bottle popper and the other is a small pencil popper-like lure.Here's a pic of the kit.It comes with the molds,Two part plastic stuff(It's pretty freaky stuff) mixing cups, stirrers, and a video on how to make the lures.I have no idea how much they are but I could ask.His biggest problem is trying to market it.
The molds pictured here are the pencil popper thing.Even though he makes the molds at his factory they are still very expensive to make.
Once you have the master though duplicates are cheap.
Soory can't get the pic to come up don't know why.Don't think it's too big.

Last edited by 10x10; 10-04-2001 at 05:34 PM..
Old 10-04-2001, 06:12 PM   #7
Tattoo

Poop...10X send via email...miked3@home.com

Please
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 10:28 PM   #8
LINESIDES

Cool

Just a Quickie on where this street leads.
Let me give you a little insight into the type of things that you will come across trying to marketing your product.
Packaging, Marketing, and Demand for your product is surprisingly the easy part. It’s cost competitive and supply that is the killer. It comes down to what are you willing to sacrifice. In my situation, trying to hold down a full time job and meeting all the need of being a family person. Was just too difficult.
You just simply have to give up all your spare time to be successful. (All of your spare time.) It very easy goes from just a winter thing to an all the time thing. The wholesaler’s, so they don’t tie their money up want to advertise your product in next years catalog. This you have to confirm,’ to them in late October or early November that you can supply them your product. If you are lucky it will “only be 500. Usually it’s 1000 or 5000. You think wow I have made it, I can’t believe it. You send them your product, in February or March you figure “whew” I can take a break, get some quality time in with the family’ may be get some rods ready for the spring run. Look, like a piece of cake right. Phone call comes in, in “MAY” always in “MAY”. Why can’t they stock their dam shelves in the winter? Its because the business you have ventured into is a year round thing. You will get these calls in July and August too. That is if you plan on making the product your self.
I can tell you, it’s not the greatest feeling knowing that when you get home after work you need to make that product if you want to succeed. This is also true if you are automated.
As demand comes in, and it “will”. It becomes very evident if it’s a good product; you need to do it full time.
As well as just about all you spare time. I remember when I was younger, I thought it seemed at the time where I liked to fish so much that opening up a tackle shop seemed like a good idea. As I got older I realized, after talking to some tackle shop owners I have got to now over the years, you just about have to give up any type for serious fishing. I am “glad”, and “broke”, having not made that decision in my life. “The family and fishing was well worth giving all that up.” All wholesalers want samples. You may never hear from them after that. You have to be willing to give your product away and be willing to watch them make more on it than you are. It’s a fact of capitalism. You could all ways do what I do, supply a few loyal tackle shops with your product. Advertizing seemed to be a brake even deal. And by the way, you are taxed by the Federal Government on “all” sales. Needless to say my family and fishing quest became my priority. My intention is to pursue this business when I retire. When I will have more idle time on my hands. That is if I can’t hold a rod in my hands and stand in a boat. And by the way give up the addiction I have for the “quest” for that dam Mystical Striped fish.
Later, Linesides

You are only as good as the person who’s driving the boat! By the way, the Devil drives my boat!
LINESIDES is offline   Reply With Quote