Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Backbeach Jake
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Backbeach Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Here and There Seasonally
Posts: 5,983
My Confession

When I first registered to vote, I was repulbican. I bought into the retoric of how the "Great Society" had brought this country down. I voted for Nixon. When I saw his act,I began to question my leaders. Little things like how can they break the law or even try? They know the law, hell they are the law. Changed my affiliation. I'm not a crook either and won't harbor them.
I never thought that I'd miss Nixon. I've kept an open mind during elections and I've kept an eye on the tenure of the elected. After the last eight years of this administration, I will never vote or consider a Republican worthy of my vote again. Crying for change by the Republican Party is the most disingenous ploy possible. It might work, but I pray not. And I do mean pray...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,431
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer
iTrader: (0)
 
Mike P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: 61 30′ 0″ N, 23 46′ 0″ E
Posts: 7,867
The only thing registering in a party gets you is the right to vote in a primary. I registered Democrat for the sole purpose of voting for Chris Gabrielli in the 2006 gubernatorial primary, because I thought he'd be preferable to either Coupe Deval or Muffy. I didn't bother changing it back to Independent. If the Republicans ever have a meaningful primary in this state--and I think that Halley's Comet will return before that happens--I might switch my registration.

Passing on Frick or Frack is one alternative----but there are other alternatives. Maybe the reason it always comes down to the lesser of two evils is because no one ever considers the fact that they have about 7 other choices in the average Presidential election. If more people did, maybe the Big Two would be forced to come up with better candidates.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
and I think that Halley's Comet will return before that happens--I might switch my registration.
As a tangent, some time ago I attended a scientific lecture where the person remarked that they indeed did have "Halley's Comet Fever".

I'd note that at the same lecture was James Van Allen, who should hold serious respect among the right people.

Additionally I have my own personal photos of Halley's comet. Do you?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Backbeach Jake
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Backbeach Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Here and There Seasonally
Posts: 5,983
Mike, i'm sorry but I saw what Nader did to an election. Split it just enough to schrod everything up to the nines. Then he threatened to do it again...May God say us from these fruitloops...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer
iTrader: (0)
 
Mike P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: 61 30′ 0″ N, 23 46′ 0″ E
Posts: 7,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Mike, i'm sorry but I saw what Nader did to an election. Split it just enough to schrod everything up to the nines. Then he threatened to do it again...May God say us from these fruitloops...

I could counter that by saying that if Al Gore had only managed to carry his own state---something that even George McGovern did--Nader wouldn't have screwed up anything.

There are also people who feel strongly that Clinton never would have won if Perot wasn't in the race.

Whether a third party candidate "screws up" an election is a matter of perspective. Truman managed to win re-elction with Henry Wallace splitting the liberal Democratic vote, and Strom Thurmond splitting the Southern Democratic vote. That's because Truman ran a fierce campaign--that's when the phrase "Give 'em hell, Harry" was born.

It's not Nader's fault that Gore ran a horrible campaign

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,431
remember Ross Perot and that "giant s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g sound".... boy he was right.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Crying for change by the Republican Party is the most disingenous ploy possible. It might work, but I pray not. And I do mean pray...
I think this is a good point...

The GOP had a great convention this year by most all measures, but you really have to wonder what all those delegates were cheering about.

For the past decade we've only heard that the Dems are wrong and the GOP is right. Now McCain is saying that the Dems are wrong and the GOP is wrong. Right? Otherwise why do we need reform?

This is very confusing

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Joe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,649
I voted for Reagan in 84 and the first Bush in 88.
I know lifelong, blue blood, fiscally conservative republicans who are still republicans, but believe W has irreparably damaged the party.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
but believe W has irreparably damaged the party.
Bush didn't do it alone, and I think it goes back to the Republican leadership in the House under President Clinton.

And the damage isn't just to the GOP, than could be repaired with the right leadership. The real damage is to our country.

You can say the Dems have done this, the Dems have done that...but there's really no comparrison.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer
iTrader: (0)
 
Mike P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: 61 30′ 0″ N, 23 46′ 0″ E
Posts: 7,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Bush didn't do it alone, and I think it goes back to the Republican leadership in the House under President Clinton.
I tend to agree with that. I think it all started when the GOP Congressional leadership made the fools' choice to impeach a lame duck president in the last year and a half of his term, for reasons that still escape me. Knowing that there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of removing him from office on a 2/3rds vote in the Senate.

It was the ultimate political show trial

It hardened the party lines and made bi-partisanship almost impossible. It became more like a cultural war than a political debate.

We haven't recovered from it. The 2000 Florida fiasco might have been resolved without all of the personal rancor on both sides, absent the impechment sideshow.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It hardened the party lines and made bi-partisanship almost impossible. It became more like a cultural war than a political debate.
Very true, but I'd go back a few years even to after the Contract with America. It was shortly after that the House started to centralize power and change the procedures to virtually eliminate Democrats from the legislative process.

They ramped up "K Street" and completely redefined how special interests would control our government and focus only on conservative interests.

Once Bush was elected the problem got even worse. According to a study by the Cato Institute, the number of lobbyists in Washington has doubled since 2000. Thank god the Abramoff story broke and put a spotlight on the entire affair.

Gingrich, Delay, Boener etc... all helped make this a reality.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com