Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Sea Dangles

What do you value most?

When heading out to fish many anglers refer to a log they have kept for years gone by. Such logs contain categories such as but not limited to; TIDE, WIND ( speed and direction), MOON PHASE, WATER TEMP, and CURRENT. My question is what category do you value the most or is it more just a case of having a spare moment to wet a line?

I have never kept a log but I am constantly monitoring currents as well as wind direction. It never seems to add up to a hill of beans and most of my memorable nights have been the result of a spare moment. The more I think I figure out feeding patterns of a Striped Bass the more I realize I know NOTHING about them. When I think I will hammer fish I don't and when I think it will suck I slam cows.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Slingah

I do go to certain places depending on tides...and wind, not so much moon....but Ill have to say that since Ive tried to "figure it out" compared to just going "whenever"....it's not as fun or productive. I dont think you can turn back though...can you???
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It never seems to add up to a hill of beans and most of my memorable nights have been the result of a spare moment.
Something about last minute trips or even trips where you forget gear or things initially go wrong always seem to have mojo.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Never , Ever bring a camera, it's the kiss of skunk.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

go when I can and the more often the better I seem to do

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
BillM

I just go when I can, or when a bud calls, and then just pick a spot and hang out until conditions get good. I dont usually try more than three spots.
Oh yeah Prof. M. sometimes I play a little FZ to the eels. It gives them a sense of mission - Baby Snakes.

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight
I hear the rusted river's call
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I value the peace of mind of being free enough to "just go" fishing without being encumbered by a fishing log full of yesterdays. Today is a new day! I don't like to micro manage my fishing....it sucks all the fun out of it! Dave...I always, always have my camera with me!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
BatesBCheatin
Albie Addicted

Quote:
The more I think I figure out feeding patterns of a Striped Bass the more I realize I know NOTHING about them.
That pretty much sums it up for me. I do put more credence into a combo of wind/tide/bait more than other factors.

"Don't kill them for ego, don't kill them because they're legal, and don't kill them for someone else." - Doc Muller
BatesBCheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
ivanputski
Pete K.

Where do you guys put your camera while surf fishing??? always scared its going to get destroyed
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
When I have my waders on...in a zip lock bag in the case strapped around my chest and stuck inside my waders at the top.......when I have my wetsuit on.....somewhere close by in a small cooler.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #11
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I use to keep a log ,,,watch prevailing winds for weeks ,moon phases all that ,,It doesn't matter I'm going anyway when I can .. I'm on the same page with you .. The more I learn, the less I know ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #12
ilovetwofish

I just go hi low light dark day heat cold it doesn't matter.I sometimes think way to hard and then get a headache.
ilovetwofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
CaptMike

The biggest thing I worry about it wind insomuch as how it will affect getting the boat out. I catch very few fish sitting at the mooring in 30 knt wind. I find I have my best fishing on full moon tides but you never know when a huge cow is going to hit.
CaptMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
Clogston29
xxx

i'd say darkness. i go when i can, but try to look ahead at the forecast, moon phase, moon rise and set times, etc. and try to focus my efforts on the darkest nights/times i can get out.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

1. Tide
2. Wind
3. Moon

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
Saltheart

Past experiences , whether logged or not , give you a rough roadmap as to where to go and when. The fish were at this place on October 20 last year doesn't mean they will be there this October 20th. It does mean though that some time around then there is a chance so you know where to keep and eye on and where to focus further attention looking at bait , moons , currents etc.

So learn form the past but don't be a slave to it!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Oh yeah Prof. M. sometimes I play a little FZ to the eels. It gives them a sense of mission - Baby Snakes.
Late at night is when they come out, Baby Snaaaakes
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
When I think I will hammer fish I don't
You mean like this week? I was looking for a repeat of last fall too, but none to be had.
If I relied on a log I would have missed five weeks of blitzing large fish this fall from labor day through columbus day. Same time last year I did very poorly.
I mean we had it all this week, right? Heavy north wind, moon tides, etc....but it didn't pay off this year.

I do look for favorable tides/wind in the places I frequent, but that's where it ends. You just need to look at the forecast before you head out for a night and make the call then and there.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Mr. Sandman

Tide, then wind and then moon( for me. Most times I try to pick places that have produced in similar conditions. But if my log says...24bass to 28# on a certain day at a certain place, I may re-visit that area, if only to reminisce.

OT: PS...Did someone say Fishing log?...09 is out! Look for it at your favorite shop or online, check it out. You derby winners should have gotten the first ones.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I prefer Frogs with dirty little lips

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Don't be silly. No serious fisherman uses a fishing log.
All you need is a notched stick.
They take it and a big gobb of bait to the nearest body of water, throw the bait in and use the stick to beat off the sub 30lb fish, 'cause the resturants prefer the bigger fish.
The notches are important, though. They keep the stick from slipping when your hands are all covered with slime.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
Halvey64

My log turned into a journal about how much fun I've had fishing with my kids this year. I used to track temp, tides, moon etc but now its just about having a good time with friends and family. I won't be around New England long enough to patern tides, temps and dates.....I will however be around long enough to remember how awesome it was to catch fish with my kids.
Halvey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
JLH

I fish whenever I get the chance but will make an extra effort to fish it what seem like ideal conditions. I use a log and memory of past trips to try to determine which areas might be productive based on the conditions on any given night. Generally I’m looking first at wind direction, then surf conditions and finally tide. Surf conditions are big for me for #1 safety and #2 where am I going to find white water.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #24
TianaBeachDude

In my area, tide charts are a must. I will fish regardless of the tide, but I will pick my spot based on it as some of my spots produce on the in and some on the out.

<----- The Walkway to TianaBeach, Home of the Tiana Beach Striper (my own breed of striper) .. So Common down, and let TBD be your guide
TianaBeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
1. Tide
2. Wind
3. Moon
1. because it indicates water levels and ALL Spots are Tide Specific on one side or the other of the Change
2. still trying to figure that one out, but i KNOW that it makes a diff for current and bait, and is spot specific related to the spot's "facing direction" and which way she blows or gets blown ~into or outof~
3. because it effects the feeding patterns and #1, the New is most preferrable, and throw some clouds and pissing rain to either the Full or the New and you've got BITE Magic!!! moon rise/set is something that DZ spoke about at the Edge's '08 Show and is getting more of my attention these days,,,,,,,,,,,not much unlike the sunrise/sunset, eh DZ??

when ALL three are in alignment
you BESS be loaded fur bear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

er, uh, uhhhm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,COW, that is!!
and the FUNNN, for me, is in the hunt, the fight, and the release.

there's STILL time, go get 'em LADS!!
for, in the Winter we shall sleeeeeeep.

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Brother Brian
Count on it, I'm going!

Darkness, wind, tide but I value just being able to go above all the aforementioned.
Brother Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Since it is never, well almost never, a spur of the moment decision for me to go fishing. I do base it on a couple of factors. The moon, I'd just as soon it was hiding as much as possible. If it is a full moon I would rather the weather be cloudy and rainy than F and C. I have been known to bag it if there is a fullmoon and perfect vacation weather.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I fish when I can but first on the list has to be moving water for me. There are other times where slack is good like sunrise in the canal as it turns east, but for the most part I like moving water, bass are opportunistic and lazy and wait in the current for the food to come to them most of the time.

Can I go with you next time you think it will suck?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Don't be silly. No serious fisherman uses a fishing log.
All you need is a notched stick.
They take it and a big gobb of bait to the nearest body of water, throw the bait in and use the stick to beat off the sub 30lb fish, 'cause the resturants prefer the bigger fish.
The notches are important, though. They keep the stick from slipping when your hands are all covered with slime.
I have heard that some restaurants will even pay $.50 more per lb. for fish over 40# due to the increased yield. If you look hard enough,you may be able to find a market for the schoolies you catch on wood. I may even notch some excess pluggage I have laying around as I have been trying to find a good use for them other than door stops.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #30
Joe

Water level or tide. My high tide spots are dried out at low tide. From there, experience or historical perspective.
There are guys out there with "fish sense" who can tell where the fish will be, if you look close, you'd probably find a lateral line on them someplace. I'm not one of those guys. Iron Mike, Stevie, Tony Steztco - they feel the need to go to a certain place at a certain time.
Migration is tougher than residency, but being among the many, I'll take the percentages and fish the fall spots during the fall, under conditions that have produced before, over my hunches - because my hunches are not as good as other people's. There's a maturation process that we go through when we recognize who we are and who we are not.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote